Do you like this new Alienware look?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this new Alienware look?

• Absolutely love it!
    • I think it is okay, no better or worse than previous designs.
    • I'll wait for higher res. pictures + details before deciding.
    • I think it is hideous and a step in the wrong direction.

• Founder
Seems like Dell is ashamed of the new models... the video got removed from youtube :D

Did you graduate from Google copyright school? :D Dell should be ashamed, those front speaker grills are butt ugly.

Seems like Dell is ashamed of the new models... the video got removed from youtube :D

Haha :D I think they are ashamed cos in this link you posted, the video doesn't have a single macro or out of focus shot of the interior... all the images shown are from the exterior apart from the power button strip. Sort of admission of guilt.. by omission :P

And parts of the video reminds me of elements from Crysis 1. Especially the beginning of the vid with the lights on the lid resembles the opening sequence in Crysis 1 of the Alien ships doors.

Here some pics showing the actual systems, they look a lot better than in the renderings if you ask me, I really want to get my hands on such a system to test some things :)

The new 17:

post-80-14494995483122_thumb.jpg

The new 18 with a glossy screen:

post-80-14494995483401_thumb.jpg

So it seems that there are glossy and matte screen options.

M14x R2 vs R3:

post-80-14494995483994_thumb.jpg

Seems to be a bit thinner, but not by much.

Ports:

post-80-14494995483795_thumb.jpg

Source

EDIT:

More pics:

post-80-14494995486782_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995490738_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995527557_thumb.jpg

Source

post-80-14494995483638_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995484258_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995484979_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995485813_thumb.jpg

post-80-1449499548774_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995488799_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995489773_thumb.jpg

post-80-144949954917_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995525541_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995526569_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I checked the dimensions, the M14x R3 is slightly thicker than the R1/R2. Makes sense to me with the thicker lid

Does anyone know what the name of the panel the R3 is using? I hope it'll fit into the R1/R2

• Founder

Is no one else bothered by the incredibly thick bezels on these things? Jesus fucking christ they take up a huge chunk of the screen space, so much so that they could fit one size bigger panels in there. Even my Sony VAIO has a smaller bezel! And even after seeing those high res. pictures, I don't particularly care for the design. The new speaker design just isn't drawing me in although I am relieved to see that the keyboard isn't nearly as bad as i had thought it would be. And I don't understand why they stuck the power connector on the side, especially being so long and bulky - one would think they would have made an angled design (like my VAIO has) but nope, this is Dell we're talking about.

Finally, they should have aimed for a thinner design, especially for the Aienware 14 because no matter how you slice it, compared to the Razer offerings, it looks like a thick ugly POS. The curved edges on the lid and color scheme scream "WE COPIED MSI" to me. Oh and did you guys see their E3 rave party last night? Looks like they put a lot of effort into the lights and presentation though the turn out was really low and it was mainly a nerd sausagefest.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Brian, The bezel isn't TOO terrible, the bottom of it a bit excessive, only excuse for that is so you can look over your hands.... if you sit eye-level to you laptop <_<

The touchpad light looks pretty uneven and terrible. I like the typeface on the keyboard though.

The HDMI in is interesting, I wonder if you can have PiP.

Looking at the AW 14 with that much bezel underneath there is no reason they couldn't have put a 16:10 display in there and then stand out from the crowd.

I'm hoping that the touch pad is illuminated by that really bright strip along the buttons and the rest is lit using a bit of light carrying acrylic that can be removed. Personally, if the touchpad didn't light up and had that thin strip, I think it would look awesome. I like the design I just hate the way the base speaker grills slopes inward rather than outward like the current gen.

The problem with 16:10 is simple... there are no more 16:10 screens available. There's no display manufacturer who still produces such panels as far as I know.

I was actually thinking when we got the first leaked pictures that the entire lit up touchpad was a touchscreen with customisable options simular to what Razer did with their notebook and that it was a single colour in those pictures since it was being used in "touchpad mode".... the truth is nothing short of disappointing... and fugly :P

I may be biased since I own one, but from purely a cosmetic design point I think the M17x R1 and R2 are still the most well thought out cleanly designed laptops I've seen. Every inch of this thing seems to have been thought out meticulously. Even the hinges when closed almost disappears into the design. My opinion is that, since this was the first flagship laptop designed after Dell acquired Alienware they went all out to showcase what they could accomplish working together. No other design after this has ever made me stop and appreciate its beauty.

i ordered a configwise maxed out new m14x-r3 just for the hell of it, as the only thing which caught my interest is the aluminum. the rest..well..i don't like the new design..

will see what the system is like when it arrives, if i don't like it, it's gone faster than it arrived ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

The design is ugly. That full illuminated touchpad is inappropiate.

The cooling system is still stupid with intakes at the bottom. Vents should be on the sides of a laptop.

But the worst is the space next to the hinges, between base and display. Reminds me of the old iBooks