Kepler GPU possible in MSI Whitebook (FORCE) 1761?

ihazshuvel

Hello,

About a year 1/2 ago I bought this awesome gaming laptop from Xoticpc with a 3 year warranty.

Here are the specs:

sandy i7-2860QM (Not OC'd)

16gb 1866 ram 4x4gb

GTX 570m (OC'd 700/1700 from day 1) - 46c idle 87c load 100% fan

Crucial m4 256gb ssd (primary/OS) 500gb 7200rpm hdd (backup)

About a month ago the gpu started to artifact and slowly but surely got slightly worse though games were still playable.

2 days ago I was mid game full load and the laptop shuts off by itself. I turned it back on and tried to get back in my game, upon loading the game screen the pc shuts off again but this time it rebooted itself. Nervous, I didn't load a game and just surfed the internet for some answers and BOOM shuts off again after about 5 minutes! Temps were 40's but it still shut off! I thought it was the GPU at first but now I was thinking the CPU or mobo could be fried. I left it alone that night.

Today I ran it in safe mode disabling the 570m in the device manager and performed a full system virus/malware scan. Results came back 100% clean-nothing found. I let it sit for an hour with no windows or programs open to see if it would shut off again and thankfully, it didn't. I've been on my laptop now researching for a few hours still in safe mode.

My conclusion is what I originally thought, the 570m is fried or the thermal paste needs reapplication because wear.

What a perfect opportunity to upgrade my GPU!!!!

I called XoticPC and asked them if my mobo was compatible with a GTX 780m and they said no, the coding is different blahblahblah.

He said my options would have to be fermi based, GTX 580m/670m/675m.

^Is this true?^

Is there no way I can trick the bios into accepting the 680m/780m?

Is there a way to possibly frankenstein it physically if it's not possible?

From the symptoms described above, do you think having them upgrade the GPU/repaste will solve the shutting off problem?

Do you think I OC'd too much for a 570m?

BTW! I did a full chassis clean out of dust last December. (I KNOW I probably should have done it again at the first signs of artifacts) DOH! :mad:

Additional thoughts?

If what you're saying is true... then in theory a GTX 780m should work with an HM67 chipset? That's what Xoticpc uses in their FORCE 1761...

"In theory" is the key phrase. It's basically trial and error. No one can pin-point a reason as to why it works or doesn't.

• 1 month later...
Yes. I tested 770m in my 1761, it works very fine.

Can you confirm this ?

770M in 1761 ? really?

I know 670M works, but I read all over the internet that Kepler cards dont - something about optimus