When do you use a FPS limit?

I've started capping in games with low processing needs for both power and heat control in my clevo w230ss chassis. Stability aside, I was finding things getting needlessly hot and activating the fan with a lot of programs running. That could also just be bad power management settings on my part, though.

I don't bother when the laptop is plugged in for newer, resource intensive games. No point in capping at 60 when you get 62 to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

Prime examples of an FPS limit that's needed: Elder Scrolls V. If your fps goes above 60 - weird things begin to happen. Flying cows, bouncing plates. I'd recommend limiting fps to 60 on most games - C.O.D UO has glitches where anything above 30fps makes players jump higher. Besides, *supposedly* we can't really notice fps higher than 60 (Although I sure as hell feel like I'm sporting super human senses on 120fps)

I only limit fps to 59 when the ingame vsync seems to be faulty. In most games with problematic vsync that causes stuttering, vsync+59fps cap gives me somewhat acceptable smoothness along with no screen tearing.

On NBA 2K14, I noticed that when I had vsync turned on, the game ran much smoother. I'm not exactly too sure why, but if it went over my refresh rate, then it would feel stuttery.

I'm using MSI RivaTuner to limit my frame rate to 60 FPS, but does it actually reduce my GPU's workload? Does it actually make the GPU render less frames or is it just limiting how many frames are actually refreshed per second while ignoring the extra frames processed by the GPU?

I see that if vsync is off, some experience tearing, if vsync is on, then stuttering. How do we map fps limit with that?

Vsync off + limit fps to x (>40)

Vsync off + do not limit fps

Vsync on + limit fps to x (>40)

Vsync on + do not limit fps

When in those cases do we get tearing, when stuttering, and when everything runs smooth ?

• 2 months later...

Hi, i think that the vsync is an approximate thing, who depending of the graphics engine. Some games, have a good vsync, so if ever you need, this is great. But there is some games, where the v sync change all the feeling, and the physic of the game.

I use vSync and triple-buffering. Combined it's the most efficient way for me. Though triple-buffering reduces the available vRAM for textures, it should'nt be a problem in most games. Btw if so. is interested, Nyquist-Shannon can be worth a search for all who are addicted to high FPS ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

v-sync is used for very high end systems running a not so demanding game

if you have a 60 Hz screen why would you push 150 fps

in a way the GPU is rendering unneeded information multiple times when it doesn't need to so v -sync will keep that constant fps and prevent wear and tear and heat from the gpu

I have a Alienware 18 and has 880m sli and 4940mx. overclocking just the cpu I easily pass the power limit of my 330watt psu. So in a lot of games where I can that get over 60fps on this setup I do as stated above and use Vsync so that only the required amount of frames are being rendered and then im using less power which is saving my from a shutdown so I am thankful for Vsync. having vsync off and limiting fps to the limit of your monitor also works well, screen tearing can still occur like that but it does put even less a load on the gpu with vsync off as long as its same frame rate we are talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember using the frame limiter option in GTA Vice City on my PC. In certain situations the game ran faster and slower feeling like chewing gum. After activating the limiter the game ran with constant speed - although not on 60fps afaik.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally set a global FPS limit to 90hz (My Refresh rate for 1440p), however for some reason Chivalry medieval warfare displays itself as 6000fps+, and capping it at 90fps means it will run at 2fps.... Weird.

I can't stand Screen tearing, but I can't stand the jittering effect I get when I drop below 60fps for a hundredth of a second even more.

I get the feeling that that particular fps reading might be a little bit software bugged.

I don't tend to set limits, but if I do, i generally put it a little bit above my screen refresh rate, to allow from frame drops. Tearing's never been a problem for me.