NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

Interesting... my Titan has the NCP4206 (on bus 3, not 4) but it doesn't make a difference, as expected.

Does anyone have the datasheet of that VR?

@all the guys with the version questions: Any of the 3A version will be fine, if you have an ACX card then it's best to choose the ACX version, if you have a Classified I'd get the Classy.... pretty easy.

Slv7, Unwinder MSI Afterburner developments with NCP4206 voltage regulator allow unlocking reference card voltage to 1.3: Guru3D.com Forums - View Single Post - MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 14(2013-08-16) Will be interesting if this can be done with the Classy to unlock further than 1.5 ....

[settings]

VDDC_Generic_Detection = 0

VDDC_NCP4206_Detection = 3:20h

This works for my Titan.

Can set 1300 mv in Afterburner. OSD shows me varying values between 1.25V-1.26V.

Almost reached the Powertarget of the svl7 Bios with Unigine Valley and 1306 Mhz.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was looking the same on the ONSEMI site but I didn't find exactly what I wanted. I did find NCP4200 and NCP4208 that can provide 4 and 8 phases respectively and they both can output up to 1,6 V.

The NCP4200 is a bit different with only 40 pins whereas the NCP4206 and NCP4208 use 48 pins.

You might want to take a look at these.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCP4200-D.PDF

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCP4208-D.PDF

I have been your huge fan since the Kepler VBIOS mod on my 680M and it looks like my GTX 780 will like your VBIOS too ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

@Slv7, If you go back to the Unwinder thread has another command to check the alternate bus. One person with eVGA card who as getting a "invalid" response is now getting a "not invalid" response. MSI Afterburner 3.0.0 Beta 14(2013-08-16) - Page 2 - Guru3D.com Forums

Yeah, I got that figured out, but I don't see any change, even though my VR seems to be the 4206. Maybe I'm missing something, will check again, only tested it for like a minute as I didn't have time?

[settings]

This works for my Titan.

Can set 1300 mv in Afterburner. OSD shows me varying values between 1.25V-1.26V.

Almost reached the Powertarget of the svl7 Bios with Unigine Valley and 1306 Mhz.

Tried that when I first checked, will check again. My slider only goes up to +62mv

I haven't checked it on my card, but I'm under the impression that the vid7 is directly wired to ground and vid6 is pulled to high, resulting in a max voltage of 1.2125V that can be set by the vids. Therefore I doubt that anything is possible per vbios, I tried quite some things. The voltage control is purely per vids it seems, which makes sense because it's much easier to use a similar vbios base code for pretty much all kind of VRs.

If you set the voltage higher with the MSI AB method (got it to work btw, was user error, lol) then it disables VID control and sets the voltage regulator to I2C control only, meaning the voltage will be fix until the chip gets the next command.

Also I'm not sure how it looks with the current limit, but it's possible that it may already have an effect at 1.3V, I kinda doubt that MSI AB makes any change there, even if it seems that the VR allows adjusting the hardware set current limit it within a certain range per software.

So, as I said, there's pretty much no chance to get this to work per vbios (unfortunately) but there are some other interesting possibilities here... I'll have too look into this when I find some time, way too busy at the moment. On the other hand, a higher current limit and voltages beyond 1.3V are probably not very healthy for the power supply circuits of the Titan or any current GK110 (and also GK104) reference board.

But for the Classified users this could allow to max the VR (still haven't found the proper datasheet, but it might top at 1.6V... at least 0.1V more than the current limit...)

Ah yeah, I guess that can help with the ACX style coolers...

Did you build that single stage yourself? Load temps?

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought EVGA 780 SC ACX and noticed this bios. Is there a difference in idle noise when comparing stock bios and this: EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.3A.00.81 - 'OC edition v03' (new fan profile).zip?

Yes, the new fan profile makes your card run more silent at idle.

I do have a question....I know that when you turn up the voltage in the voltage tuner, it will not show a higher voltage in PX....just the higher temps will show. I was doing some testing on my card last night and find my max mem clock of +685 offset and my max core of +220 offset. When testing the mem and the core's offset the other setting were set to zero.When I use the voltage tuner I changed the NVVDD value up to 1.25v to testing the core OC. But before I tested the OC, I restarted my PC.( not a cold boot), After the PC restarted back into win's 8, I did see that the NVVDD voltage was set to 1.25v....Now here's where it gets odd. I then ran EVGA OC Scanner X to test the OC on the core, with the higher voltage and a +220 offset on the core, PX would not read out over 1000 ever. All I would get is the higher temps and that is it...

SO...I then I want back to the idea, OK I just try to find the max combined OC I can....Valley will lock up on me even time I try to push it over 1320 on the core....I see that it hits its voltage limit just after Valley loads....I have not flashed my LN2 BIOS with a mod BIOS yet....

What should I do now...what am I doing wrong with the voltage tuner and do I have to flash my BIOS with a mod one to get the core clock over 1320 on air?

Thanks. Will be trying this before after market coolers.

There's really no point in an aftermarket cooler when you have an ACX card...

I tried the overclocking bios for the reference 780 (don't have enough post to download the one for the EVGA ACX) and it doesn't support ultrafast boot. Is that feature disabled in all oc bios?

I'm not sure what you mean... I only modified the legacy vbios, it's likely that the mod has no effect at all when you use uefi fastboot or secure boot, i.e. when you don't allow the legacy stuff to load.

svl7, just to confirm, the max power target with the 780 Classified in PX at 130% is 572w? That's a heck of a lot of power...

Yes, but you also need a lot of power when you have a lot of voltage...

Also:

ohm.png

:D

what am I doing wrong with the voltage tuner and do I have to flash my BIOS with a mod one to get the core clock over 1320 on air?

Ah, not sure how things work with the voltage tuner of the Classified... My guess is that it sets the voltage directly in the VR, overriding any vbios setting. PX would have an issue with this, unless there are other things going on beneath the surface, e.g. if PX supports reading the voltage from the chip in case of the Classified. I don't want to tell stuff that is not true, so it will be best to ask other Classified users, I'm really not sure how that card behaves with that little voltage tool.

One thing is for sure though, you'll quickly hit the power limit with the stock vbios.

svl7 bios: core 1225mhz - memory 3375mhz - 1212mV.

std evga bios: core 1175mhz - memory 3205mhz - 1212mV.

Best bios ever! :)

Great

But how you managed to run 1212mv with stock bios ? Theres no stock BIOS capable of running more than 1.2v or even 1187 afaik