Vote: Ideastorm: Alienware: High-gamut or IPS matte screens

Prolixious

"It would be nice if Alienware offered higher-gamut or IPS matte screens. Many potential customers require the GPU power of an Alienware and use their laptops outside or for professional work. Alienware's competitors offer high-quality matte screens, and such screens are already available for Dell's XPS and Precision models. Good anti-glare screens would remove the need for customers to create costly, risky modifications to replace the glossy LCD or remove the plexiglass above. Even if Alienware offered matte screens as optional upgrades to the glossy panels now available, the option would provide much additional value for Alienware laptops."

I do hope that Alienware considers adding these screens to its upcoming generations of laptops.

Vote here: Idea Storm

Note: I use the word "or" in the logical sense, which does not preclude "higher-gamut" and "IPS.

Seems dumb to me that they don't offer matte. I see no reason not to. Most people prefer matte over glossy.

As for IPS, ISP screens tend to have longer response times when compared to TN. I believe IPS can still be made with reasonable response times though for desktops, but maybe not with the reduced power budget in laptops. The m18x has around the power draw of a desktop though so IDK. Probably just dell being lazy and cheap.

I believe there are Clevos (not sure what's the name of the company building them) with high res matte screens. I game on an IPS (Dell U2412M) and it works equally well as any TN screen I used before. Even though in image quality and color saturation it actually falls behind RGB LED on M17x-R2 quite a bit.

The reason is, I'm guessing, is that most people buying gaming laptops are fucking clueless (just browse around NBR and you'll get the idea) and fall for crap like i7 CPU while gaming on laptops with one of the worst screens ever (seriously, I used higher resolutions on my old Sony CRT screen ~15 years ago). Unless the consumers are educated (and I haven't seen either Dell HP or Lenovo doing anything on that matter; remember when they advertised their 6870M or whatever and claimed it gives "better" picture -- someone needs to educate them first :D ), I just don't see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes clevos do have matte options.

Oh god CRT screen resolutions... I had a 2001 15 inch that I messed around with setting to over 2400x1800. The screen only had phosphors for up to 1600x1200, but there was still a little improvement.

Was great not having to worry about things like response time, input lag, viewing angles, dead pixels, and color gamut with CRTs. They did have their own things to worry about though.

Seems dumb to me that they don't offer matte. I see no reason not to. Most people prefer matte over glossy.

As it happens, most consumers prefer glossy to matte. That's why Apple stopped making matte screens. Consumers weren't buying them in sufficient quantity.

- - - Updated - - -

The gaming laptops of Clevo, MSI, and ASUS are not in a different class than Alienwares.

The XPS and Precision notebooks that you mentioned certainly are.

• Founder

Couple things:

I use a high gamut display and its overkill for 99% of users out there since the application has to be built to deal with high gamut and then you need a high gamut source. Additionally, DirectX games will ignore your ICC profile and default to whatever they want and at that point you have to resort to hacks to get it to work right (e.g. injectors).

If you like the pop of it like I do but don't mind the inaccuracy of the image, then why not. Considering it costs more than a regular 72% sRGB display, don't count on high gamut panels from Dell unless its for their Precision line (business line). Regarding matte, I do think they should offer the option of having it or not though I think they can go with a semi-glossy (like my LG desktop display) which would satisfy both crowds. I personally don't like that mirror oops I mean edge to edge plastic they add on their notebooks.

As for higher quality display, supposedly the new M17x will have IPS as an option so you have that to look forward to although the quality of IPS can vary largely. You can get an IPS with good viewing angles but 42-48% sRGB, would you consider that good? I'd consider it absolute shit vs a high end TN. So don't just fall for buzz words like "IPS, high gamut", know the reason behind them and then decide if that's what you really need or want.

I'm certainly aware that not all IPS or high-gamut displays are good; I'm taking for granted that Dell will put decent ones in Alienwares (e.g. the one available in Precisions) if it implements my idea, which may not be a good assumption.

In truth, I would be satisfied if Alienware used a much less reflective panel.

IPS might be "overkill" for gaming and cut slightly into Dell's business sales--in truth, I used the term to attract attention--but I cannot think of a good reason why Alienware cannot offer better TN panels with non-reflective glass given its prices.

Like I said before: there's no point to high-end IPS in Alienware. They're not made for professional use like the Precisions are. If you want a better GPU in the Precision line then I think that you're better off asking Dell to do that than trying to turn Alienware kit into something it isn't.

If you want a matte screen on Alienware then buy a Green Onion screen protector.

I have written that IPS might be "excessive," but Clevo, ASUS, and MSI offer 95% gamut TN anti-glare screens. If Alienware does not want to offer anti-glare screens, less reflective LCDs with slightly higher gamuts would be appreciated.

Again, we pay top dollar for these laptops, and Alienware does not offer a different OS or another significant advantage in any area over its competitors, so why not a choice of screen?

• Founder
I have written that IPS might be "excessive," but Clevo, ASUS, and MSI offer 95% gamut TN anti-glare screens. If Alienware does not want to offer anti-glare screens, less reflective LCDs with slightly higher gamuts would be appreciated.

Again, we pay top dollar for these laptops, and Alienware does not offer a different OS or another significant advantage in any area over its competitors, so why not a choice of screen?

95% Adobe or sRGB?

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Dell got part of it right, but I don't know if the current screen setup is better than the previous ones... If the matte screens on the 14 and 17 are grainy or low-quality, many people will rant about glossy not being an option.

I think Alienware is sensible enough not to pass on IPS for the 17 only to put a mediocre TN screen in it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have used Green Onion screen protector and its a Pain in the butt to install. I ordered it threw Dell when my old system was getting some upgrades.I asked about it the salesperson was Surprised that they had them. But they did not Install it for me! Let me be clear the Dell Guy who sold it said it would be installed for me. Found out they never do that. But My Point is THEY should! If I can Order a Green Onion screen protector from Dell why not have the option on the Configure System Screen were people can see it and Know to order it? And why not install it for US? I for one would been happy to pay extra to have the cursed thing installed in a clean room!

P.S.Yes I own cats.And Trying to install it at home and keep the hair of it was H#%$!