How to order from Alienware US for non US citizens

Michael

• Founder

This work may not be reproduced without the written permission of the author

Hi all.

I currently live in Israel and here, as well as in many other countries that i know of the price difference when buying computers between local Alienware and Alienware US is huge.

So, i decided to try and by my new M17x from USA.

I thought i'd share my knowledge since some of the members here asked me to explain how i did it.

There are actually 2 things stopping a person from ordering.

1. Dell US won't ship anywhere except US.

2. You need a US issued credit card to complete your payment through the website. (there's also a paypal payment option, but that does not work either since your credit card that paypal uses has to be us issued too)

I solved the first issue, using a mail forwarding service.

There are lots of them available and shipping rates vary, i used US Mail Forwarding, International Shipping | MyUS.com as they seemed the most reliable company but feel free to do your own research.

Easy shopping in the U.S.A also is worth consideration .

Now for the next part - i was able to pay using my international credit card over the phone.

I tried lots of support numbers but i found that using 1-800-999-3355 (blackhawk team i think) gave me the best results. Their team is very professional and they are actually in the US :).

I created my laptop setup, added it to cart and saved my cart.

Then i called customer support explaining that i am not a US citizen but i have a shipping address inside us and a international credit card that i wish to use to pay for my laptop. That did the trick.

There's also a wire transfer option available, but i can't verify that since i used the credit card path. But i was told this is an option by one of the reps.

I should also note, that Dell will most certainly try and contact you over the phone to confirm your identity since the purchase is made with international card. So you should also have a US phone number and that number should preferably be from the same city as your shipping address otherwise it raises red flags. (shipping address from one state, phone number from another and credit card from another country does look suspicious).

To get a US phone number i used Skype as it is reliable and relatively decently priced.

To have a US phone number call your cellphone using Skype follow those 2 steps:

1. purchasing a US number from Skype that is forwarded to your Skype account

2. Forwarding your Skype account (in case you're not logged in to Skype) to a cellphone - rates apply..

1. go to Free Skype calls and cheap calls to phones - Skype, login or create a user, and get to your Account tab.

From there choose Online Number -> get online Number -> Choose US -> Choose Florida -> Choose Sarasota -> Choose a number and activate it. Now you have a number that when called will redirect you to your skype account.

2. Now all you have to do is set up Call forwarding :

From Account tab : Choose Call Forwarding -> Add number -> follow the on screen instructions to complete the wizard.

Now test, just call the number and watch your cellphone ring ;)

Please note, that i still need to pay forwarding to Israel which is about 200$ with fedex plus i will need to pay import tax when it arrives here.

But i found that it is still marginally cheaper than buying the same configuration here.

One more thing, if you want your warranty to become international you have to buy the complete care (they call it advanced warranty now) for three years. Anything below that will get you US only warranty. (Which is transferable to your country). The difference being, that with complete care, you do not have to transfer your warranty to get service abroad. (with some limitations)

Thought it was worth mentioning too.

Note that HIDevolution.com - Specializing in customized computers, electronics, and mobile devices for gamers and professionals can order the system for international buyers for a small fee and ship it. But if you want to be in control of the whole process, my way is better, and cheaper.

Guys this is pretty important...

I had my first two orders canceled, just because my credit card is not US issued - Dell just classified it as fraud, automatically, without even speaking to me before.

The way to go about it is to demand, at the time of purchase, that your sales rep makes contact with the "credit card order processing" department. Make the rep explain to them the situation (you're abroad, shipping to US address etc) and make them approve the order at the spot.

So, do your math and good luck!

Edited by Michael

• 3 months later...

2. You need a US issued credit card to complete your payment through the website. (there's also a paypal payment option, but that does not work either since your credit card that paypal uses has to be us issued too)

Hey, im from India. I just used a credit card from here for my purchase of the Alienware M18x and got it shipped to an address in the US. I ordered it online from the Dell website. The order got processed with no problems and with no need for a phone-call. So I think that its not really necessary to have a US issued credit card 'cause as far as I know credit cards (well, in India anyways) allow international transactions. Just giving some info. :)

Luckily I had a cousin bring the laptop here when he came back to visit.

Hey, im from India. I just used a credit card from here for my purchase of the Alienware M18x and got it shipped to an address in the US. I ordered it online from the Dell website. The order got processed with no problems and with no need for a phone-call. So I think that its not really necessary to have a US issued credit card 'cause as far as I know credit cards (well, in India anyways) allow international transactions. Just giving some info. :)

Very nice... glad it all worked out for you with no hassle.

• Founder

How did you fill in the billing address ? There isn't an option to fill India as the country, only us.

I bet you filled your shipping as billing address and in that case you were lucky Dell approved it. Usually they wouldn't.

• 1 year later...

Hey debo2372 I am also from India and thinking to buy alienware 17x from USA. I need some help, Can you please give me your email id so that I can contact you. Mine is [email protected]

Actually you can use PayPal to pay for it, that’s what I did, so this is how I did it, I have 2 PayPal accounts one with my US bank and one with international card, so I sent an invoice to my international one from the US one, I paid the invoice with the card so the money is now PayPal Balance, then make your Dell Purchase using ONLY PayPal Balance, I shipped under my name to my boss address in California and I arranged DHL to pick it up and bring it to me..

I’m currently stuck in Mexico and the Alienware here just plan suck, I paid about 120USD for taxes and 199 for shipping.

But here a lower end m14x was around 3000USD, my 17x R4 was about 1800-1900 but again its 17x R4 newest everything, 12Gb on Ram , it’s just awesome, send me a message if you need help with getting your order, trust me before I figure out the PayPal way my order got cancelled about 5 times.

So I know how frustrating dealing with Dell is… especially since their English is barely understandable sometimes I mean I’m Canadian so English is part of me but the accent sometimes really gets me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
That's all good as long as you have a PayPal that is tired to a us based credit card. Otherwise PayPal orders don't go through

I think he used an international credit card to pay his US PayPal account which he used to buy the system. Good loophole which I'll be using for my gf.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• Founder

Yeah maybe, but in my case the loophole is good cuz she can't use her Canadian CC without orders getting cancelled all the time. This way I'll just bill her the invoice and then use my PP.

As far as I remember, you can only open a us PayPal account if you have a us issued credit card.

Nope you can open the account and if you get a virtual US bank you can get it verified. thats what i did and thats how i got my awesome 17x r4

• Founder
Nope you can open the account and if you get a virtual US bank you can get it verified. thats what i did and thats how i got my awesome 17x r4

virtual US bank ? Can you give me some more details on that ?

Links ? Procedure ? thanks!

• 2 months later...

I spent a fair bit of time weighing this up too. At the time I purchased my m17x I was also looking at the MSI (which are wayyy cheaper in the US) and the Sager (which you can't get a hold of in Aus). The postage was not too bad, I managed to find a mob that would send it over for about $100... There was no tax from the US, however GST is still payable. Which meant that the $2100 Alienware PC I had priced up became 2180, then the GST was another 218, so $2398... And insurance on the postage was extra... Not to mention the transit times, and having to worry about sending it back.

I priced up the same laptop from Dell in Australia for $2700. I then jumped on the live chat and spoke to a service rep. She managed to get the price down to 2600, and threw in 36 months mcafee (which is horrrrrible btw).

So i'd definitely say it's not worth importing a PC from the US, to Aus(tralia), unless you've got your heart set on a MSI (which are about 400 more than the Alienware here) or a Sager.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I came to this forum as I might be only 2 days in the states in the future months.

My question is. Are all these recommendations going to work with an alienware reseller? I mean use my international credit card and pick it up in some PO box or some address inside the usa?

Many thanks to who got through the same situation and can answer me.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...