Ignoring money, what laptop would you buy and why?

I would buy the Alienware 18 2013 model with maxed out specs just because

-its a great gaming laptop (desktop replacement)

-very serviceable

-decent cooling system (hot air vented out the back and not into your hands)

-they finally friken moved to the matte screen (no more GLARE AHA)

but if Alienware is too overrated I would go with Clevo 780 sli or the MSI gs70 stealth :)

I think I'd have to go with a slim and powerful laptop with a thunderbolt so I could rig up myself and an eGPU for when i want serious gaming. Unfortunately that left me with only the 2013 13" Macbook Pro with the 4850HQ processor.

I'd quickly get a new back made to remove the fruit based idiot mark get windows on it. Get a TB to PCIe setup, a power supply (I'd probably get a dedicated 12V supply and fit the 8 pin and 6 pin myself it would look tidier than an ATX PSU) and a custom milled housing for it and a 780Ti. I know there would be a big chunk of diminishing returns on such a big card running over TB but hey money's no object. :)

I would buy the Dell Precision M6800 with highest parameters. I don't need best gaming performance but excelent overall performance with high speed processor (i7 4900+) and fast reliable drive (SSD in RAID 0,1), good graphic card (Quadro K5100M), lot of RAM for virtual systems and good security options like fingerprint reader and contactless SmartCard reader :)

8740w with DreamColor 2 display

Why?

1. 16:10 17,1" WUXGA RGB LED 10bit IPS

2. Still need more?!

3. MXM-B

4. Awesome design and built quality

5. That glorious display! Yes, it's that good!

Or I'll build one more like the one above, but with more recent CPU power.

People seem to hate Alienware, and personally I have no idea why. I would say go with a new AW laptop. It has Haswell and is very nice from what I have heard. I have the M14x R2 and have seen very few issues myself. The laptops are always good build quality and I love the ability to customize the lights. Of course that is not a necessary feature, but the speed and graphics ability is great for a laptop of their price.

Alienware 17 for me is by far the best notebook around.

Why?

You can choose if you want a monitor with 60hz or 120hz to fit your needs.

The metal frame is better than Clevo P170SM and even P370SM.

Upgradability i would say that the it's the same, but you always have dell with the new stuff, and a warranty like no other.

• 1 month later...

The 15" with the biggest amount of HDD slots ( 4x or 5x 1TB SSD RAID0 ) doesn´t even matter if it´s mSATA or 2.5"

32GB RAM!

High Color Gamut or any really good IPS screen.

Thunderbolt + Ti Firewire 800

Would be great if it could disable devices in BIOS, stuff like onboard crap (audio, fingerprint, dedicated gfx card, etc)

That would be heaven. Honestly i don´t care for anything else. I think that there´s nothing like that out there.

Clevo P150SM can handle 4x SSD, does have TI firewire400, and there´s HCG screen for it, 32GB RAM is easy.

On the downside, no thunderbolt, no option to disable stuff in bios

Probably a Clevo. I'd love to have an ultra fancy laptop like the Alienware 17 or 18, but I don't get why would anyone buy that instead of desktop PC. I don't get why Alienware doesn't give us the choice of the best GPUs in the 14" to be honest. That would definitely be my choice. I mean, as long as you have an HDMI/Displayport out, who cares if the display isn't big enough.

PI don't get why Alienware doesn't give us the choice of the best GPUs in the 14" to be honest. That would definitely be my choice. I mean, as long as you have an HDMI/Displayport out, who cares if the display isn't big enough.

It's not an issue with the display size/resolution. Notebooks of that size have issues dissipating the heat put off by the higher end GPUs.