Alienware M18x R1 running a Nvidia GTX 780M - Let the testing begin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7767[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7768[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7769[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7770[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7771[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7773[/ATTACH]

Some random X-rated;) benches with graphs to show the throttling.

Cheers. :)

Ouch. That is pretty bad throttling. I never saw your temps over 76C so it looks power draw related. You can probably fix it by looking up the power monitoring chip and modding the current sensing circuit.

Is 1.012V the default voltage, or did you raise it?

guys, will the m18x r2 be compatible with a 780m sli setup? I'd like to upgrade my 680m's to 780m's :) will the PSU be enough? how much would this type of upgrade cost me?

Yup it should work fine.

Brother Harlon and

Riri-Fifi have it running in their M18x R2 machines.

The upgrade atm would be quite pricey through Ebay upgradeyourlaptop aka Eurocom - around $1500 - $1600 for 2 cards.

As long as you have the 330Watt PSU you should be fine.

Yeah, my conclusion so far is that (unless the OEM vbios will be a lot different - which I bet it won't) the 780m with a stock vbios won't be able to beat a tweaked 680m, the card will downclock at high clocks.

seems like this generation is a big disappointment in more ways than one

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Haven't had any trouble with downclocks on my Alienware 18, but a lot of people have had problems on their Alienware 17's. Either way if the modified VBios solves the problem it isn't really a problem. The card overclocks very nicely and will outperform the 680m at least 15%.

I just noticed that 1 of my 780M's (ID 1) will not go past stock 850 on the core, the other (ID 0) is fine. Both patched with the TI v2 VBIOS with no issue. Any idea what that issue could be? Should I flash back to the original and try flashing the TI again?

I just noticed that 1 of my 780M's (ID 1) will not go past stock 850 on the core, the other (ID 0) is fine. Both patched with the TI v2 VBIOS with no issue. Any idea what that issue could be? Should I flash back to the original and try flashing the TI again?

Yep try and flash the vbios again.

Could also be a part that just met the minimum requirements for its bin. I for example have 3 6970s in my desktop, 2 of which hit 1GHz core and 1 which wont go 15mhz past stock.

Hello everyone.. I am a newbie just bought the Alienware with 780m sli, not really sure about the safety issue of overclock.

For example the 780m what is the safety range of clock and memory speed?

And I am epscailly scared of adjusting voltage once I burnt my cpu by applying the max voltage in my childhood ¬.¬

Really glad that anyone could give me a noob guideline for overclock in entry level XD

Ok I've learned a bit more about how all this works but still unable to resolve things. I'm running 326.41 beta and I understand there are some overclocking issues with this version so that might be complicating things. Basically the funkiness I am seeing with card 1 is actually normal due to the expected downclocked P-state while on the desktop (it sits at P8). Card 0 however will NOT downclock, just pegged at P0 regardless and now I'm more concerned about THAT than overclocking. I tried the Nvidia Inspector Multi-Display Power Saver fix but it did not resolve the issue. So now I can't get an overclock to even APPLY plus the added problem of card 0 pegged at P0 all the time. Can any of this simply be due to the beta drivers and I should just wait it out for a newer more stable release?