Better GPU and CPU fans?

Chey Raven

Hey I was wondering if I'm able to fit better fans inside my p170em and if anyone has done anything like that and if they could recommend some better fans.

I thought about getting an extra gpu fan and fitting it in on the CPU side. I think it's just a little bit too big and the cutting down that would be needed combined with being lower rpm would lead to no benefit though, so I never tried it.

Other than that the fans already move a lot of air. My only issue with them is that the CPU fan needs higher RPM to do it, and it blows air pretty unevenly.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey I was wondering if I'm able to fit better fans inside my p170em and if anyone has done anything like that and if they could recommend some better fans.

Where "better" means moving more air or quieter / better sounding?

I also would be interested in the second - especially for the GPU fan in my P150EM.

• 3 weeks later...

hm, were u thinking about replacing the stock fans or adding additional ones? the latter ive already seen, albeit in a "ghetto" fashion in that the modder used heat conducting glue to fix the additional low profile fans onto the gpu and cpu heatsinks :)

• 3 weeks later...
In my opinion, if you want a better cooling: you'd better looking some mod to allow a better air intake.

I'm getting a spare bottom cover (or 2) for my P150SM for this exact reason, my plan is to open up the bottom of the case as much as possible (think, the new M17X R5) and fit a mesh/grill and fit extended feet to give it an extra 5-10 mm of height. I'm also getting a couple of spare (1 piece SM style) GPU coolers and a pair of CPU coolers to look in to modifying them for better performance - I have some ideas for improving both the evaporation and condensation ends of the process - whether it's achievable in a DIY scenario is another thing completely.

I will also be testing each cooler before killing them to assess stock performance differences to try and find out how consistent the heat-pipes are that they are using.

I'm getting a spare bottom cover (or 2) for my P150SM for this exact reason, my plan is to open up the bottom of the case as much as possible (think, the new M17X R5) and fit a mesh/grill and fit extended feet to give it an extra 5-10 mm of height. I'm also getting a couple of spare (1 piece SM style) GPU coolers and a pair of CPU coolers to look in to modifying them for better performance - I have some ideas for improving both the evaporation and condensation ends of the process - whether it's achievable in a DIY scenario is another thing completely.

I will also be testing each cooler before killing them to assess stock performance differences to try and find out how consistent the heat-pipes are that they are using.

I used a small file that I could fit into each individual slit in the bottom cover. I made them just over 2x as big and temps dropped around 2C. If I pull the cover off the CPU still improves a little, but the GPU does not. The CPU really needs a few more slits around the edge for the plate not to be a limiting factor.

I was told by a retailer tech that no other fans would be able to fit onto my P151EM1B. True/False?

Fan keeps turning on/off and i was just wondering if theres any way to fix that by changing the fan, adding a fan controller, stuff like that....

I used a small file that I could fit into each individual slit in the bottom cover. I made them just over 2x as big and temps dropped around 2C. If I pull the cover off the CPU still improves a little, but the GPU does not. The CPU really needs a few more slits around the edge for the plate not to be a limiting factor.

Yeah, I'm going to try and remove the whole area around the CPU and GPU and replace it with a Black Delrin bezel, removing the standard feet in the process and raising them up a reasonable amount, possibly adding flip out adjusters like a regular keyboard has, and a very open mesh possibly stamped to a profile will cover the gaping huge holes.

(I have a CNC vertical mill BTW.... I'm not hacksawing it apart, everything will be machined from billet or blocks)

I've considered this, and one day I might do it, but it will require the manufacture of completely new parts/fan housing - and it will be bigger (desktop centrifugal GFX fan - same as found on a GTX 670/770/680/780 - so big, high volume - and without fitting a higher capacity cooler/exchanger you're never going to get the noise levels down.

The amount of time this will take me to build means anyone wanting one replicating will have to offer me substantial amounts of money lol

There does seem to be a fan speed issue at the moment, mine often stick one 100% and I have to turn the machine off completely or hit sleep mid game, give the fans a few seconds to stop, then restart - and usually within 5 minutes, the fans just jump from 30-40% upto 100% screaming loud again - I just turn the volume up on my headphones now....

It's a serious issue, and it seems to be related to crossing a certain temperature (but I'm not sure) once the line is crossed, the CPU fan just hit's 100% and stays there forever - I have left the machine idle for over an hour and it never stopped blasting 100% despite getting temps down to 26°C on the core which is not much above ambient.

serious, serious issue - I feel neglected - this is such a prominent issue for me - it's early days so maybe it will get fixed, or maybe I have a faulty unit - I don't know

It's early days, hopefully they'll fix it,

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard mixed results about attaching heat sinks to the heat sink. It seems dependent on placement and method of attachment. In the end, improving airflow seems to be the way to go. I wonder if there would be a way to introduce a baffle of some sort the reduce the noise from the fans kicking up at higher speeds.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Calibre41

did Prema's EC solved the fan problem - blasting 100% despite cooling off?

I am asking cause I am planning to buy clevo 150sm:)

sorry I missed this post!

YES it is fixed,

very very very rarely it goes 100% and gets stuck but in all honesty I don't remember the last time it did it probably a month ago at least! (compared to 3-4 or 5 times in one night!)

as usual, Prema is producing high quality mods - Clevo should really be paying him as he is absolutely saving their arses!

Hi Calibre,

I have bought clevo 150sm and i noticed that, when INTEL PCH reaches a certain temp around 80 C, the fans are blowing at 100%. It stays for a long time and after i quit a game . Did You have the same situation?

Idle temps are fluctuating between 34 and 55 C. The fan hits and at 55C and stays until CPU cools down till around 34C. Is there a possibility that the cpu fan hits lower RPM at lower temp?

sorry I missed this post!

YES it is fixed,

very very very rarely it goes 100% and gets stuck but in all honesty I don't remember the last time it did it probably a month ago at least! (compared to 3-4 or 5 times in one night!)

as usual, Prema is producing high quality mods - Clevo should really be paying him as he is absolutely saving their arses!