Fun with WIFI

Staff Sargent

Want to have a little fun with people, either by creating a wifi hotspot with your mobile device or even your home wifi, change the SSID to something like DEA or FBI or even something really funny (which I can't come up with right now).

I have mine changed to DEA taskforce and we live in an area that will get younger adult/teens to find it while they visit the library. Going to see how long before rumors start that the DEA is in town.

Post funny names or if you go mobile a funny story of what you changed it to and the reaction of people around you.

My tablet will do hotspots so I am going to try this at public wifi spots from now on and I hope I can do the same with a galaxy note 2 could be so much fun.

Sent from my Customized Transformer TF300T using TapaTalk HD

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite when it comes to such stuff is still the upside-down-ternet, a script which makes it possible to send out all requested websites turned around, so if you leave your hotspot unsecured and people connect to it, they will end up with a little surprise. It's also possible to adjust the script so that you replace all .jpg files with other ones...(be creative :D)

post-80-14494995181244_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995180934_thumb.jpg

post-80-14494995181408_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 months later...

I believe LIfehacker did an article about wifi named FBISurveillance Van. As soon as that went up on their site, about 3 wifi networks around me names changed to it. I can just see them saying "which FBISurveillance Van was I again".

• 3 weeks later...
Helpful tip: if you are looking at an apartment, run a wifi scan during a showing. People often vent their frustrations via SSID.

Before my wife and I got married, when I would go over to her apartment I would see two SSID's that really stood out... Legend. Dairy. 5GHz and 2.4GHz, respectively.

Though I do have fun on rainy days at the airport using a small webserver and a captcha portal. Bwwhahahaha....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...