Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 WiFi Stock VS Centrino 6235 Advanced-N

jester_socom

Did you see an increase in range? I'm more interested in that than speed. Thanks.

On a 802.11g network with 3.5 - 4.0 MB/s peak over ethernet:

Stock: 8.5 MB/s DL

Intel Centrino 6235 Advanced-N 13 MB/s

Upload rate was nearly the same. Tests done on www.speedtest.net.

Note you can buy an extra antenna cable and probably buy the 6300 Ultimate

Did you have to flash the BIOS to install the 6325? I am considering changing my wifi, but I don't think its worth that much trouble.

I believe that if you can somehow find a very specific Lenovo branded 6235 you can install it without the bios mod. But I don't think you can order that specific part from any third party vendor. I ended up doing the bios mod and replacing it with a 6235 I found on amazon, and it's worked pretty well so far.

A little tip: I've found my download speeds were much higher when I disabled all bluetooth related devices in my device manager. You may want to give this a shot. Of course you do not want to do this if you have any bluetooth devices paired to your laptop.

On a 802.11g network with 3.5 - 4.0 MB/s peak over ethernet:

Stock: 8.5 MB/s DL

Intel Centrino 6235 Advanced-N 13 MB/s

Upload rate was nearly the same. Tests done on www.speedtest.net.

Note you can buy an extra antenna cable and probably buy the 6300 Ultimate

Damn how fast is your internet? :D

But do you really need the extra 5MB/s?

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion.

I might look into this after my y500 arrives :D.

If you want to use the 5GHz band, it's sure a win. Aside from that, I don't see why you would buy it. There is only one place out of ten places where they have WiFi where you will benefit from the 150Mb/s vs 300Mb/s

Maybe the extra range can improve your signal strength marginally. But this is minimal. The result I gave you was the best I was able to reach in the best possible situation.

• 3 weeks later...

My 400 shipped a few weeks ago and the card that came with it is horrible. Terrible range and it drops/cuts off rather frequently. I am considering going with the mod and attempting to kill my problem with a much more reliable card. I too am curious if you went with the modded Bios?

Thanks for the great info guys. I too bought a 6235 as a replacement. I have had nothing but grief with the stock card and operating over 2.4 GHz. The bluetooth can be sketchy some times as well. I have to mod my BIOS first but I'll report back on my findings. I imagine the switch to 5 GHz will make all the difference. My X201t doesn't have any wireless issues and is on 5 GHz.

Thanks for the great info guys. I too bought a 6235 as a replacement. I have had nothing but grief with the stock card and operating over 2.4 GHz. The bluetooth can be sketchy some times as well. I have to mod my BIOS first but I'll report back on my findings. I imagine the switch to 5 GHz will make all the difference. My X201t doesn't have any wireless issues and is on 5 GHz.

Do you have better range with the 6235? or it's just a 5GHz capable card? I'm also interested in buying it in case that the Killer N-1202 doesn't work for me, any information you can give me will be much appreciated mate!

Hi Kamnnoriel, I haven't modded my BIOS yet. Truthfully still working towards unlocking the features of my account here on the TechInferno forums. As soon as I do, I will run a series of tests and capture the data for everyone. First with the 2200 adapter and again with the 6235 adapter. I'll specifically compare the 2.4 GHz range. I know for myself personally, the move to 5 GHz will make all the difference in the world.

Hi Kamnnoriel, I haven't modded my BIOS yet. Truthfully still working towards unlocking the features of my account here on the TechInferno forums. As soon as I do, I will run a series of tests and capture the data for everyone. First with the 2200 adapter and again with the 6235 adapter. I'll specifically compare the 2.4 GHz range. I know for myself personally, the move to 5 GHz will make all the difference in the world.

Hope it'll be much of an improvement, and now you have the 5 posts you need, so go for it! Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

So I finally got around to modding my BIOS and I have installed the Intel 6235N Wi-Fi adapter. I ran into a snag with the Bluetooth stack being corrupt. Windows won't detect or load the Bluetooth portion of the 6235N. If I reinstall the driver and reboot it will work; however a subsequent reboot will fail back to the previous behaviour. A reinstall of Windows 8 was able to correct the issue. A quick Google search indicates this is not uncommon.

As for wireless performance, I honestly haven't noticed much in the way of improvement of throughput or range of 802.11N over 2.4 Ghz. It seems a little more stable. With the default adapter watching the Windows 8 file copy graph the connection was not constant. It would dip to nothing and then pick up speed only to dip to nothing again. The same connection behaviour could be observed when watching videos and sometimes general web surfing when it was bad. The 6235N does appear to have improved upon this behaviour but throughput and file copy times remain about the same. I wouldn't recommend upgrading Wi-Fi adapters if you only have 2.4 GHz wireless network.

However as expected the switch to 5 GHz was phenomenal in terms of increasing throughput and stability. Again watching the same file copy graph, it would remain fairly constant without dropping. This is what I was looking for in replacing the adapter. I hope this helps anyone looking to do the same.

• 4 months later...

wait why i got my y500 with qualcomm atheros wireless , sometimes when i created ad-hoc or hosted-network and play LAN multiplayer games with my friend, i got connection errors... does intel centrino wireless do have the same problem ??

sorry if im out of the topic