Guide: DSDT Override, Simultaneous iGPU + dGPU + eGPU

1. Run DSDT Editor.bat

2. File -> Extract DSDT

3. Wait a bit, then click 'Device PCI0' - it should be just after your Processor.

4. Scroll down until you see your DWordMemory stuff, go to the bottom of this list.

5. At the bottom add:

-Sorry but for any newbs like me who didn't have luck just clicking on DSDT Editor.bat and having it work. I had the following error in my command prompt, " 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command". Try updating DSDT Editor.bat to point directly to your java location instead of just listing 'java' i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe"

-Also I first tried with \Java\j2re1.4.2\ but I guess this was too old of a java version

--Edit--

...wow... didn't even know there were pages, i guess quietrain had my same issue but it looks like he just used kizwan's method through the youtube link

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I was able to get this to work on my Dell E6520 running windows 7 64-bit on the i7-2620M with 8GB of RAM. It bumped the windows rating up from a 5.2(GPU limited) to 6.3, and i now am able to run 4 monitors(2 form the iGPU and 2 from the eGPU) The eGPU is a Geforce GT 240

Just a note when cleaning up my DSDT file. I had an error for Name (_HID, "*pnp0c14") and i was able to clean this up by just removing the '*' and my DSDT file worked.

I didn't have to do anything fancy besides override my DSDT file. I'm actually able to plug the eGPU in while the computer is ON and running even. :-) (before the DSDT override, plugging in the eGPU would give me an error 12)

Hi,

I'm having problems with DSDT override!

I did everything according to procedure, but when I give the "dsdtoverride.dsl iasl" command these problems appear.

post-27590-14494997882824_thumb.png

At the end of the procedure is completed successfully, generates the DSDT.aml file.

When I restart the computer nothing appears again in Device Manager.

When I enter the Setup 1.x can not disable the dGPU, stopping this screen.

post-27590-14494997883065_thumb.jpg

According to Nando's because my generation Core is 1, follow a few steps that he passed, but without success.

With win8, you'd go to PCIe compaction, set endpoint=56.25GB, perform a dGPU+eGPU compaction, forcing the eGPU to 32-bit. By relocating the dGPU into 36-bit space would mean it would error 12, effectively the same as disabling it.

what I have to do?

My SETUP

PE4H 2.4 + GTX 650

Core 2 Duo

6Gb

Windows 8.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am trying to do the DSDT override on my w530 running on windows 7, and after following everything until step 12, when I restart the computer, I get a BSOD while windows loads. The way i can get windows to boot again is to do a system restore. Is there anything that needs to be done differently or is the W530 incompatible?

thanks

EDIT: could be it be due to an error or warnings I keep getting when i try to compile?

I tried to compile immediately after step 3 and i get the same error/warnings.

dsdt.dsl 5003: If (\_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.HKEY.MHKK (0x01))

Warning 1131 - Statement is unreachable ^

dsdt.dsl 5044: Method (_Q16, 0, NotSerialized)

Warning 1114 - ^ Not all control paths return a

value (_Q16)

dsdt.dsl 7131: Name (_IRC, 0x00)

Error 4103 - ^ Reserved name must be a control

method (with zero arguments)

dsdt.dsl 7770: Method (NPWC, 2, NotSerialized)

Warning 1114 - ^ Not all control paths return a

value (NPWC)

dsdt.dsl 7811: Name (_T_0, Zero)

Remark 5011 - Use of compiler reserved name ^ (_T_0)

dsdt.dsl 8883: Method (_PLD, 0, Serialized)

Warning 1114 - Not all control paths return a value ^ (_PLD)

dsdt.dsl 8883: Method (_PLD, 0, Serialized)

Warning 1106 - Reserved method must return a value ^ (Package required for

_PLD)

dsdt.dsl 12718: Name (_T_0, Zero)

Remark 5011 - ^ Use of compiler reserved name (_T_0)

dsdt.dsl 12960: Name (_T_1, Zero)

Remark 5011 - ^ Use of compiler reserved name (_T_1)

dsdt.dsl 12961: Name (_T_0, Zero)

dsdt.dsl 13149: Name (_T_1, Zero)

Remark 5011 - ^ Use of compiler reserved name (_T_1)

dsdt.dsl 13150: Name (_T_0, Zero)

ASL Input: dsdt.dsl - 14842 lines, 547154 bytes, 7063 keywords

Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 5 Warnings, 6 Remarks, 3094 Optimizations

Hi,

I'm having problems with DSDT override!

I did everything according to procedure, but when I give the "dsdtoverride.dsl iasl" command these problems appear.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11917[/ATTACH]

At the end of the procedure is completed successfully, generates the DSDT.aml file.

When I restart the computer nothing appears again in Device Manager.

When I enter the Setup 1.x can not disable the dGPU, stopping this screen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11918[/ATTACH]

According to Nando's because my generation Core is 1, follow a few steps that he passed, but without success.

what I have to do?

My SETUP

PE4H 2.4 + GTX 650

Core 2 Duo

6Gb

Windows 8.1

Read what I said about running Windows 8 / 8.1. That's where your issue lies. You have to load the DSDT file on boot using Setup 1.x.

Hi,

I am trying to do the DSDT override on my w530 running on windows 7, and after following everything until step 12, when I restart the computer, I get a BSOD while windows loads. The way i can get windows to boot again is to do a system restore. Is there anything that needs to be done differently or is the W530 incompatible?

thanks

EDIT: could be it be due to an error or warnings I keep getting when i try to compile?

I tried to compile immediately after step 3 and i get the same error/warnings.

Yeah, it's due to the errors you get when trying to compile. Did you attempt to run the error checker/fixer utility? I fought trying to rid of all my errors for days. It can be quite a pain. You could also dig around online for any specific issues after you run the error checker/fixer.

It's been a while, but can you just save to a .aml file with the program directly? Try doing that. If you are on Windows 8, you have to load the DSDT file with Setup 1.x.

Yeah, it's due to the errors you get when trying to compile. Did you attempt to run the error checker/fixer utility? I fought trying to rid of all my errors for days. It can be quite a pain. You could also dig around online for any specific issues after you run the error checker/fixer.

It's been a while, but can you just save to a .aml file with the program directly? Try doing that. If you are on Windows 8, you have to load the DSDT file with Setup 1.x.

Ah i see, but the strange this is that even without modifying anything all the errors are there, surely an untouched version would be exactly the same as the original one (ie. i could load back and it would work)?

i did run the error checker/fixer and clicked on fix errors, but it dint work either. I guess i will have to go through each problem and try and resolve it. Would you say that the warnings are a problem as well?

I dint try saving with the program directly, i will try now and let you know.

thanks

Ah i see, but the strange this is that even without modifying anything all the errors are there, surely an untouched version would be exactly the same as the original one (ie. i could load back and it would work)?

i did run the error checker/fixer and clicked on fix errors, but it dint work either. I guess i will have to go through each problem and try and resolve it. Would you say that the warnings are a problem as well?

I dint try saving with the program directly, i will try now and let you know.

thanks

Sometimes the DSDT files you get can be horrible. Even if you load it, and save it afterware, it still could have errors in it lol......

Would probably need to fix most of them manually. I don't thing you have to worry about any warnings. Just the errors that it complains about.

Lemme know.

Sometimes the DSDT files you get can be horrible. Even if you load it, and save it afterware, it still could have errors in it lol......

Would probably need to fix most of them manually. I don't thing you have to worry about any warnings. Just the errors that it complains about.

Lemme know.

i tried the program directl to get the aml, no luck

i only have one error and i followed the instructions on DIY eGPU experiences - Page 920

no luck! I think im just gonna leave it at that, i guess i wont be able to use 2 nvidia cards simultaneously :(

i only have one error and i followed the instructions on DIY eGPU experiences - Page 920

no luck! I think im just gonna leave it at that, i guess i wont be able to use 2 nvidia cards simultaneously :(

Oh......... are you trying to SLI the 2 nvidia cards?

Or do you mean a dGPU + eGPU?

Honestly, it's better to just have eGPU only in... nearly all cases, so just disable your dGPU and run eGPU only. It's a lot less hassle.

This was more to show that it's doable :D ....

I do not recommend using any notebookreview.com (NBR) eGPU references as they are old and cannot be updated due to me being banned on their website. Furthermore, NBR refuses to remove eGPU content I authored and hosted on their website. As a result, NBR are now listed as a saboteur of the eGPU project.

The DSDT override up-to-date main post is at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#dsdtoverride . Please start from there.

Read what I said about running Windows 8 / 8.1. That's where your issue lies. You have to load the DSDT file on boot using Setup 1.x.

With driver signing disabled, it's possible to do a Win7 like registry DSDT override in Win8. Details in the main DSDT override page at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#dsdtoverride.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

thank you a lot for the simplified guide! Unfortunately its not working for me and I'm getting blue screens each time i load the settings and restart, screenshots and vid below.

I don't know what em i doing wrong, I'm following the guide to the letter. For the first time i was checking the copy pasted code and added spaces since they were missing, no luck for the second time i just copy pasted the code, compiled it, fixed the errors ,exported it and loaded but again same issue.

Please find my dsdt.dsl file as well with the screenshots of the bluescreens attached.

To make things simple, you can find below how it looks like when i copy paste the Qword, i guess i either overlooking something or that its not possible to run the override on the lenovo as per the BSOD statement.

DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
                    0x00000000,         // Granularity
                    0xFED40000,         // Range Minimum
                    0xFED4BFFF,         // Range Maximum
                    0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
                    0x0000C000,         // Length
                    ,, _Y26, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
                QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
                    0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
                    0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum,  set it to 48.5GB
                    0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum,  set it to 56.25GB
                    0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
                    0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.
                    ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
            })
            CreateDWordField (_CRS, \_SB.PCI0._Y19._LEN, C0LN)  // _LEN: Length
            CreateDWordField (_CRS, \_SB.PCI0._Y1A._LEN, C4LN)  // _LEN: Length
            CreateDWordField (_CRS, \_SB.PCI0._Y1B._LEN, C8LN)  // _LEN: Length
            CreateDWordField (_CRS, \_SB.PCI0._Y1C._LEN, CCLN)  // _LEN: Length
            CreateDWordField (_CRS, \_SB.PCI0._Y1D._LEN, D0LN)  // _LEN: Lengt

Full data with screenshots below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12397[/ATTACH]
From eGPU

I'm having quite a few problems DSDT overriding on my T430.

At first I tried with the toolchain suggested in the guide, using the intel decompiler to dump and disassemble the DSDT table and then modify it as told, recompiling it with the intel and overloading with the asl.exe from Windows Driver Kit 8.1.

That obviously did not work. I tried to search for people who managed to do this on a T430 with very little success. DSDT Override on Thinkpad X230 — BRIGHTBULB I found this guy who managed to do the same on his X230, I downloaded his DSDT and decompiled it with iasl (intel one), compared it to mine and the PCI0 part was pretty much identical except for his QWordMemory. I even got his same exact compile error unrelated to the PCI0 device which I had fixed the same way he did. I tried messing around with it a bit more and gave up.

Today I tried with a different toolchain, I used the Windows ACPI 5.0 compliant asl.exe (The same one from before, from Windows Driver Kit 8.1) to dump, decompile and recompile my DSDT table with the 32bit patch applied to it (Windows use a whole different syntax, I figured it out and even compared it to the windows decompiled version from brighbulb and it's consistent).

Overloaded that and still nada, boot BSODs at the exact same time in the loading screen it did earlier.

I can post my asl or aml files for both windows or intel compilers if anybody wants to take a look at them, I really don't know where to go from here.

Lenovo models are somehow not able to use this fix.

Yup, tried it with my W540 and W530 and both just got BSODs. DSDT with 0errors and 0warnings. Different compilers, Editors and so on.... I dont think its possible with any of the "better" models (saw 1 success with an L420 but its a total different DSDT).

Good to know that I'm not just soo lame :D but that other with Lenovo laptops are also suffering from same issues related to DSDT. I will try to bypass the DSDT issue with exchanging the VGA because i didn't experienced error code 12 with VGA which had 2GB of memory, hopefully I will be right with that, then i will post some guide for Lenovo users which have similar laptops we do.

Update:

So GTX 750 with 2GB of ram from Gigabyte didn't helped and error 12 still present, strange since GTX 660 worked without any issues, but meh i guess it won't be because of how much memory is allocated on the card itself but because of ht GPU. Unfortunately this Gigabyte unite is little big bulky and have 6pin external connector which is not fitting my idea of small car with will fit into small itx box and it will be powered by pcmci and small 12V adapter.

So tomorrow I'm starting again with Gainward card with just 1gig or ram, im not expecting any improvements but at-least it will hopefully fit in to the box.

And last but not least I started to play with the DSDT on my HP since we considered Lenovo to be hard to modify, unfortunetly on HP 2540p im facing different issue, after i load the DSDT, modify it and compile its showing more then 200 errors, after fixing the errors there are still 149 errors present, since this is my business laptop which is also locked with bitlocker i will not give it a shot since then its pain it the ass to run the system restore which is quite possible considering so much errors. My next approach is that i ordered caddy for additional drive which is interchangeable with the dvd drive, after i will get my hands on this and after i will put additional drive in this laptop i will try to play with the DSDT little more, if it will not work i will most probably give up on this idea an simply buy the "setup 1.x" sw which wont be hassle to install on my own not bitlocked drive.

After some more reading(reading is your friend) i discovered old post from Tech Inferno Fan which is answering everything

Important Notices

11-6-2013: Recommend purchase a GTX660 or GTX560Ti over a GTX750/GTX650 series if PCI space is tight. The GTX750/GTX650-series has the unusual requirement of 256MB+32MB of PCI space making them more difficult to accomodate. This differs to the other NVidia cards that require 128MB+32MB+16MB. I've had over three DIY eGPU users resorting to a DSDT override in order to accomodate a GTX750/GTX650.

Since I already have working case with ATX psu, well its rather bench but it works even though that its bulky I completely abandoned all plans for small slim eGPU setup powered by GTX750, since my eGPU project its also on a budget(otherwise i can just go for a PC) I will go for used GTX 660 which is here in CZ for same price as new GTX 750, with this I will also save on the additional SW&HW needed, which would otherwise be case for the egpu, 12V PSU, additional drive. As I already tested this solution before i know that it will work straight out of the box and that it will work well. Later on I will hopefully post some guide.

• 2 months later...

I know that you posted this some time ago, but I hope you might remember a few details which might be the difference between success and failure for me. My set-up is both similar and different: Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (4178-AFU); i7-2620M; 16GB RAM; no "dGPU"; iGPU = Intel HD3000; Windows 8.1 Pro. My questions refer to your procedure:

Here is a guide to performing a DSDT override with hopefully less misery, and setting up your computer to have your iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU working at the same time! Oh boy this is going to be fun.

This is my system specs (Fujitsu T901):

i7-2620M

16GB RAM

NVS 4200M

GTX 660 Ti

Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Now it begins..

Disconnect your eGPU until I say so.

If you can, you should perform a DSDT override. The method shown in the official thread was really hard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517 ... so I did it another way that is MUCH easier (and is good about fixing errors).

How to perform a DSDT override:

Get the 'DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win.7z' here:

DSDTEditor-Linux-Mac-Win.7z

(source: olarila.com • View topic - DSDT editor and patcher) I included the asl.exe file required as well to the zip in with the program's folder.

1. Run DSDT Editor.bat

2. File -> Extract DSDT

3. Wait a bit, then click 'Device PCI0' - it should be just after your Processor.

4. Scroll down until you see your DWordMemory stuff, go to the bottom of this list.

5. At the bottom add:

0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum
0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum
0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
0x00000001F0000000, // Length
,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
                QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,

6. I made it look nice and pretty after pasting that in (made it match).

(These next steps are optional I think, I have no idea if they are necessary, but I did them.)

o1. IASL -> Compile (or hit F5)

o2. Fix errors if you have any.

(Back to important stuff.)

7. File -> Save DSL as..

(I named mine dsdtoverride.dsl - I will use this name for future steps - I would put this file in the DSDT program directory with asl.exe and iasl.exe)

8. Close the DSDT editor.

9. Open up command prompt (maybe as admin? probably a good idea).

10. Go to where you saved your dsdtoverride.dsl (in command prompt).

11. In command prompt run:

iasl dsdtoverride.dsl

(Make sure the previous command made a .aml file. It may have made the name as dsdtoverride.aml, but mine was dsdt.aml)

12. Then run

asl /loadtable dsdt.aml

Reboot and check for a 'Large Memory' section in Device Manager -> Resources by Connection -> Memory

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7310[/ATTACH]

See the official DSDT override post for more info: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517

Now for the fun part........

Disconnect your eGPU

...[post continues for some time]

So:

1. The above chunk begins with "Disconnect your GPU until I say so" and ends with "Disconnect your eGPU.". Of course it is not possible to do both. Did you intend that this ENTIRE set of instructions would be done with no eGPU? In particular, does one see the 36-bit big memory just by mucking about with software? Or in addition to the DSDT stuff, do I need to connect the eGPU in order for the system to actually reach up and make an allocation in 36-bit space?

2. According to the original post, in addition to what you write, one MUST turn TESTSIGNING ON in the bcd. (via bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON). Did you skip this step and things worked? or did you have to do, and just forgot to mention it?

3. Would SOMEONE be able to tell me if this works with both MBR and GPT installations? Does it work with both legacy and UEFI boot?

WHile I'm on this subject, I am exceedingly confused about this "secure boot" business -- how do I turn it off on a T420? At this point, I would rather just run in legacy mode without UEFI in order to be CERTAIN that this is not the issue. (right now, I get a BSOD when the DSDT loads).

4. May I replace the asl.exe and the iasl.exe included here with the newest versions? Is that a particularly good or bad thing to do?

I can follow all the various variations of instructions -- and arrive at a DSDT compilation without errors. But after the reboot, I get the solid-blue windows 8.1 logo to appear (which I understand means that DSDT is being loaded) --- and BAM! BSOD time. The only recover I have found possible is to boot from installation media, and go back and do some simple surgery on the C drive to rid the registry there of its DSDT override. Could I have some sort of "secure boot" which prevents the DSDT override and blue-screens? How would I turn it off if I did? Nothing says "secure boot" in the BIOS.

Alternatively, perhaps I should be using the latest versions of asl and iasl. But if I don't use the DSDTEditor, I don't see how to fix the myriad errors that show up in compilation. Does anyone else have this error on lines like Name(_PLD, ToPLD(...)...) -- where the error is something like "uses Buffer but requires Package" and I don't see the word Buffer anywhere near this code. (I also don't see the definition of ToPLD anywhere. perhaps someone could clue me in.

This is getting really a bit tiresome. Any answers appreciated.

I know that you posted this some time ago, but I hope you might remember a few details which might be the difference between success and failure for me. My set-up is both similar and different: Lenovo Thinkpad T420 (4178-AFU); i7-2620M; 16GB RAM; no "dGPU"; iGPU = Intel HD3000; Windows 8.1 Pro. My questions refer to your procedure:

So:

1. The above chunk begins with "Disconnect your GPU until I say so" and ends with "Disconnect your eGPU.". Of course it is not possible to do both. Did you intend that this ENTIRE set of instructions would be done with no eGPU? In particular, does one see the 36-bit big memory just by mucking about with software? Or in addition to the DSDT stuff, do I need to connect the eGPU in order for the system to actually reach up and make an allocation in 36-bit space?

2. According to the original post, in addition to what you write, one MUST turn TESTSIGNING ON in the bcd. (via bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON). Did you skip this step and things worked? or did you have to do, and just forgot to mention it?

3. Would SOMEONE be able to tell me if this works with both MBR and GPT installations? Does it work with both legacy and UEFI boot?

WHile I'm on this subject, I am exceedingly confused about this "secure boot" business -- how do I turn it off on a T420? At this point, I would rather just run in legacy mode without UEFI in order to be CERTAIN that this is not the issue. (right now, I get a BSOD when the DSDT loads).

4. May I replace the asl.exe and the iasl.exe included here with the newest versions? Is that a particularly good or bad thing to do?

I can follow all the various variations of instructions -- and arrive at a DSDT compilation without errors. But after the reboot, I get the solid-blue windows 8.1 logo to appear (which I understand means that DSDT is being loaded) --- and BAM! BSOD time. The only recover I have found possible is to boot from installation media, and go back and do some simple surgery on the C drive to rid the registry there of its DSDT override. Could I have some sort of "secure boot" which prevents the DSDT override and blue-screens? How would I turn it off if I did? Nothing says "secure boot" in the BIOS.

Alternatively, perhaps I should be using the latest versions of asl and iasl. But if I don't use the DSDTEditor, I don't see how to fix the myriad errors that show up in compilation. Does anyone else have this error on lines like Name(_PLD, ToPLD(...)...) -- where the error is something like "uses Buffer but requires Package" and I don't see the word Buffer anywhere near this code. (I also don't see the definition of ToPLD anywhere. perhaps someone could clue me in.

This is getting really a bit tiresome. Any answers appreciated.

Yeah it's been some time, but I'll answer what I can remember :)

1. Yes, eGPU disconnected the whole time. It will show Large Memory even with it disconnected.

2. Never had to do this, might vary.

3. MBR installations only, I tried GPT but it won't work.

4. Yes, replacing asl.exe and iasl.exe with the latest versions should be fine, no reason I can think of that would cause issues.

I have a hunch you are trying to load in GPT mode, thus the BSOD. This is the same issue I had, so yes you need the MBR install to make it work.

I have a Lenovo T430s and struggle with DSDT override as other T430 owners. I have the i7 option but with NVS5200 hence no thunderbolt. I got the EXP v7 in metal case and a MSI GTX 770 which fits perfectly.

Trying the 36 bit PCI extension I blue screen in the PNP device driver loading. So is there a chance to LOWER the TOLUD instead of moving PCI to 36 bit?

I have 64 bit windows and 16GB RAM so I dont need 32 bit address space anyway. Without DSDT override I get the Error 12. (With dgpu enabled/disabled). Have anyone tried to reserve more 32 bit RAM for PCI via DSDT override?

I am more then happy to buy Setup 1.3 if it would help

- EDIT: Did some more checking. Extracting DSDT from BIOS using DSDT editor, compile (without any change) fix errors, and load in registry gives same BSOD. So it seems the problem on T430/T430s is to get a working AML in the first place. Not the 36 bit PCI extension. Anyone with Lenovo T/W 4/530 got any DSDT override for any purpose loading without error?

Regards,

Fredrik

I have a Lenovo T430s and struggle with DSDT override as other T430 owners. I have the i7 option but with NVS5200 hence no thunderbolt. I got the EXP v7 in metal case and a MSI GTX 770 which fits perfectly.

Trying the 36 bit PCI extension I blue screen in the PNP device driver loading. So is there a chance to LOWER the TOLUD instead of moving PCI to 36 bit?

I have 64 bit windows and 16GB RAM so I dont need 32 bit address space anyway. Without DSDT override I get the Error 12. (With dgpu enabled/disabled). Have anyone tried to reserve more 32 bit RAM for PCI via DSDT override?

I am more then happy to buy Setup 1.3 if it would help

- EDIT: Did some more checking. Extracting DSDT from BIOS using DSDT editor, compile (without any change) fix errors, and load in registry gives same BSOD. So it seems the problem on T430/T430s is to get a working AML in the first place. Not the 36 bit PCI extension. Anyone with Lenovo T/W 4/530 got any DSDT override for any purpose loading without error?

Regards,

Fredrik

DSDT override has been done successfully on a T430 here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post104793

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->Certainly part of my problem was related to MBR vs. GPT mode, though I think that what I did was stupider and more damage-inducing. I had switched to GPT at some point early on in the process in order to follow the post of someone who said that they had got a T430 to work without any DST override. When that didn't really pan out, I reset things, but that annoying "test mode" watermark stayed on my screen, despite the fact that I had reset to TESTSIGNING OFF. So I asked on eightforum.com how to fix this, and it seemed that my choices were either 1. to check by hand every individual driver loaded (because turning TESTSIGNING back to No apparently only disallows new unsigned drivers from loading; drivers that were part of a previously known good configuration will continue to load, and you'll continue to be in "test mode"), or 2. use system restore. I never really trust system restore, basically because it's made by the same sloppy company whose sloppiness is usually the reason that I need to restore my system, so I never really just get back what I had, I just get "a lot" of things back -- i.e. more mess. But a quick run through Device Manager revealed not a single unsigned driver (though I wonder if some of the drivers which are marked as signed just by "Microsoft Windows" include exactly the unsigned drivers that now load -- did I mention that I find things a bit sloppy in this OS?), so I went for system restore. Remember, this was only to remove the "test mode" watermark. Much to my horror, System Restore failed, and left me with a machine that BlueScreens just after the Windows Logo.

That's when I remembered with even more horror that I was probably choosing to return to a restore point that was set at a time when boot was MBR, but the BIOS was now set to UEFI only!! Yes, I freely admit that I'm an idiot, but surely the result of applying System Restore to a machine in perfect health with a watermark problem should not be an Blue Brick. Fortunately, setting the BIOS back to "Legacy, then UEFI" boot order and clearing out any residual mess about DSDT in the registry got me back to a watermark-less and booting machine.

I then tried again to do it purely according to Nando's post with QWordMemory, but I went insane trying to get the resulting .dsl file to compile without errors. And every time I was able to do this, the resulting machine would bluescreen just after the logo appeared.

That's when I understood artearte's wonderful suggestion for keeping things clean by using the QWordMemory stuff and iasl and .dsl to produce the organ to be transplanted ONLY (i.e.. the _CRS table), but to do the actual operation in a more pristine environment (using only asl and the .asl format). Sure enough, this "just worked".

I'll let nando and the other experts here decide, but with great uncertainty I humbly suggest (nothing more than that, I am **very** new to this and almost lost the machine) that the DSDT override post should be amended to the "combination" method (i.e. use acpidump and QWordMemory and iasl to produce the expanded table inside an .asl file, then separately use "asl /tab=DSDT" to produce the .asl that you actually modify with that expanded table), along with a suggestion to use one of the two DSDT Editors rather than notepad (there is an excellent discussion of this repulsive subject here. I think it's true that if I had used the two different editors available I could have produced a clean DSDT, and I'm curious to know what I might be able to tweak as a result. But for now I wanna get this GPU to work).

Whether my problem was bad dsdt editing or switching back-and-forth between MBR and GPT or a combination of the two I'll never know, but I'm sure you're right that MBR/GPT issues were central. In any case, a random combination of DSDT changes, MBR/GPT swaps, and System Restores is unlikely to produce order. I've learned my lesson -- and get to keep the T420 as a souvenir.

- - - Updated - - -

It works on my T420 also. Just make certain that you are booting MBR and not UEFI, and also that TESTSIGNING is ON (as mentioned in the original post).

OK That did the trick on DST override and I managed to see the high memory. I created the AML with optimus enabled. I can now reboot without BSOD when optimus enabled. I might create another profile with integrated graphics because:

Problem 1: Nothing seems to use the high memory, If I plug in the adapter I see GTX 770 in device manager. But it never uses the high mem and seems to collide with the NVS 5200.

Problem 2: When I uninstall the NVIDIA drivers and restart, both adapters are visible, but when desktop driver installation is starting it finds NVS5200 dGPU first and does not complete eGPU GTX 770 setup.

GTX card details tells driver not installed, but still shows driver version NVIDIA xxx xxx. Shows zero resource usage.

Problem 3: If I reboot at this point the machine will hang at windows logo, just before it login screen should appear. If I remove GTX it finishes.

I tried to reboot with optimus disabled in BIOS to install nvidia drivers without NVS5200 present to make sure only GTX 770 is picked up but my current AML bsods without Optimus in BIOS settings right now.

What will it take for GTX to map into the Large Memory? Do I need Setup tool?

post-31146-14494998769342_thumb.jpg