Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

I hope the file will help me geting downloadsampling run on my U3011. Would be very cool.

All my other experiments failed, so the bios is my last hope...

3840x2400 and 5120x3200 should work just fine @ 60hz

i found what made the problems while flashing. The NV-Flash guide should be updated, the DOS commandline doesn't recognize the command -nvflash -6 ... the newest version only recognizes nvflash "ROMNAME" , if you do it like in the guide, it will say that you have to download a newer version of NVflash (Which isn't true because you already have the newest version, you are just using outdated commands).

Have to check the DOS version. There certainly has been no change in the windows version... -6 is there as always and still works perfectly.

is there a modified titan BE VBIOS?? thanks

Yeah, here you go. Trying to catch up on all the mods. I promised that one quite a while ago.

Someone please let me know if all is ok.

Also if you have different original vbios versions please send me a copy.

80.80.4E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_Black_'OC_edition'_rev04.zip

Have to check the DOS version. There certainly has been no change in the windows version... -6 is there as always and still works perfectly.

Yeah, here you go. Trying to catch up on all the mods. I promised that one quite a while ago.

Also if you have different original vbios versions please send me a copy.

thanks alot man!!! yeah sure ima send you a copy when i get back !

Hi svl7,

Thanks for your nice work.

I am not able to download your last updates, is it because I am newly registered on the forum ?

Yeah, five approved posts required to get all rights.

Added revised versions of the downsampling optimized vbios. Can be found attached in the first post. Should get rid of stability issues that certain users had with their cards. Thanks @Woklbokl for the feedback.

Hi svl7,

could you please go into more detail? What's the difference between the BIOS'es? Voltage, clocks?

Thank you very much,

Raff

Hi svl7,

could you please go into more detail? What's the difference between the BIOS'es? Voltage, clocks?

Thank you very much,

Raff

Just increased voltage for P8, P5 and P2 power states.

Some users had some stability issues cause their reference P8, P5 and P2 voltage was too low and they ended up getting greenscreens and ugly stuff like that.

Should be stable for everyone now.

There is no need to update if it was stable for you before.

Well, it took me a while to work up the guts to try it, but I did it! I should note that DOS refuses to boot on my system, so any "easy" recovery kinda went out the window.

Anyway! The modded vbios doesn't flash, but it doesn't appear to corrupt the card either. Attached are two screenshots of the command prompt, showing that the flash with the modded vbios fails but does not change the firmware on the GPU, and that restoring the original firmware happens flawlessly.

Also attached is an NFO and DxDiag of my system. I don't know if there's some weird hardware configuration preventing things from working properly, so there they are. Considering I can't get into DOS on this system, that might be the case. (It gets into DOS fine with the same thumbdrive on other systems. On this one, it just shows a blinking cursor forever. It won't let me type and ctrl-alt-delete won't reboot.)

Finally, just for completeness, my original vbios is attached.

All files are in the single .zip archive.

EDIT: Nothing seems broken after fully powering the system off and on, and I forgot to mention that I'm running 337.88. Sorry about that!

Asus-Titan-Black_80.80.4E.01.01.zip

I'd like to know if these will work with any vendors card, similar to when I had standard Titans, or if they are specific to the Asus version of the Titan Black, for example. I am running two stock EVGA Blacks and have trouble getting consistent voltage to them as I did with the previous ones until installing a mod'd bios.

Thanks,

Shrubby

• 3 weeks later...

Whelp, now I've got two Titan Black's and I'm about 400 points away from breaking 10,000 on Fire Strike Extreme and this is maddening beyond all words. o_o...

@svl7, before I do something horrendously stupid, is it possible to perform a not-so-blind-flash if I've got two GPU's? Or should I not even mess around if it's still giving me "PCI Block corrupted" when I try to use your vbios? I vaguely remember some mention of needing to use a special switch in nvflash to get past that error, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering it correctly or confusing it with -6..

• 2 weeks later...

hallo svl7

bitte dich um hilfe.

80.10.3E.00.01_-_GTX_Titan_'OC_edition'_rev04.1_Downsampling_Version.zip

kann man diese downsmpling bios-oc-mod version von dir auch für die "titan black" verwenden, oder gibt es da eine eigene version ?

habe einen 4k 32" sharp.

danke im voraus

freundschadftliche grüsse an die schweiz, aus österreich........:very_drunk:

gerhard

Hey guys,

Unable to download the 04 revision for the Titan BIOS - link looks like it's down. Temporary issue, or are they just too old/expired?

Cheers

I just tried it and it worked fine. There are some, like the downsampling bios, that need 5 posts or paid membership to download.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, it's been a while but I'm back.

I flashed both Titans and now I can't get the second card to run past 875Mhz. The first one goes to 1.2Ghz no prob, and I tried to disable and re-enable SLI to see if that would help but still the same.

Any guesses?

Thanks so much,

Alex

There a reason I cant download these? Keeps saying for some sort of user.. Just flashed my titans when the first version came out and pretty sure downloaded it with out even being a member of site.. If something need to do to be able to try these please help.. Always wanted to try downsampling on the pb278q. But get you guys are software dudes.. im more came from heavy industrial back round, so more a hardware modder, race sims de bezel multi monitor setups curved projection setups, etc.. So hook a brother up with some software to push this lc set up to the limits..lol But if ever need a hand with how to build or what materials to use ask away.. See so many nice towers made but with styrafoam and such brital materials. Even this one that looked like a building.. if dude just woulda coated that in fiber resin through certin steps, thing woulda survived Katrina. instead of being scared to clean it..If ever need stuff welded fabbed etc.. Shipping presents you always get a deal..lol

Does it crash? Or how does it behave? Which driver?

No crashing so far.

I ran GPU-Z render test and the second card just stays in PCIe 1.0 and at a hard 875Mhz without any variance, until the render test is stopped. Even fired up Dark Souls II and it ran fine, no crashes.

Using the newest Nvidia Driver 340.52 and the Vbios I used was the " Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.06 'OC edition' v03 ".

• 2 weeks later...

hallo svl7,

habe das von dir gemoddetes bios für sharp 32" 4k in verbindung mit meiner "zotac-titan black" jetzt schon einige zeit in verwendung, es gibt keine probleme.

die black läuft stabil mit 1250/1850mhz mit wasserkühlung.

du kannst das gemoddete bios gerne allen usern hier im forum zur verfügung stellen, in deiner post 1.

freundschaftliche

grüsse

gerhard der österreicher ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

will this bios also work for this mod ? :

OccamRazor's advanced GK110 OC guide (Click to hide)

This guide applies only for 780/Titan, if and when we have support for the 780Ti, this guide will be updated to reflect the changes!

DISCLAIMER: This is my view and my approach of the complicated and wonderful art of Overclocking, if you find any way to improve my guide i will be open to change it and give you credit for it! I take no responsibility for the usage of this information or hardware damage! Use this at YOUR OWN RISK!

First of all dont forget you´re on ***! You should have OC in your blood!

I WILL BE USING (AB) AfterBurner AS ITS THE ONLY SOFTWARE THAT ALLOWS SOFTWARE VOLTAGE CONTROL AND MONITORING

Download and install the latest AB here: MSI Afterburner 4.0.0 Final Download

Now, youll have to setup AB properly: Go to settings » general and tick the "enable hardware control and monitoring", "unlock voltage control" and "unlock voltage monitoring" and click "OK" at the bottom fo the window!

LL

Now download my: NEW ED´s VOLTMOD / LLC GUIDE and follow the guide to the letter including the LLC HACK as described in my guide also with a link to download!

Now a word of warning: ON AIR DO NOT GO ABOVE 1,24V WITH LLC DISABLED:

"Please do NOT GO ABOVE 1,212v WITH SOFT VOLT MOD AND LLC DISABLE! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)No air cooler has the capacity to dissipate the heat load out of the VRM area when OC with overvoltage! And you cannot know the VRM´s temps, only do an estimate calculation based on your power draw! HEAT KILLS!

Exactly what happens depends on how excess the power is. It may be a sustained cooking. In this case, the MOSFET gets hot enough to literally unsolder itself. Much of the MOSFET heating at high currents is in the leads - which can quite easily unsolder themselves without the MOSFET failing! If the heat is generated in the chip, then it will get hot - but its maximum temperature is usually not silicon-restricted, but restricted by the fabrication. The silicon chip is bonded to the substrate by soft solder and it is quite easy to melt this and have it ooze between the epoxy and the metal of the body, forming solder droplets! Excess heat leads to short circuit! Usually, a MOSFET will fail short first. This is because excessive heat will, by diffusion, mix the dopants enough to create a good conductor instead of the p-n or n-p barriers that were there originally. Often, the gate oxide will be taken into the diffusion, too, causing a short between all three terminals.

Only if the short circuit current after this first mode of failure is high enough to blow the bond wires or the entire transistor, there is an open circuit.

Another forgotten thing is the voltage controller NCP4206 itself! its rated for a maximum operating temperature of 85C and again no way to measure the temperature!

Please guys PLAY SAFE!

ON AIR MAX VOLTAGE: 1.212v + 0.025 (+-) 0.006v = 1.24v(+-)

Keep the fan high and dont let temps go over 70/75C and even this is with a pinch of salt! thumb.gif"

Now that you have your friendly warning, lets go on and OC your "Beast" GK110! biggrin.gif

You have in AB five(5) sliders: Core Voltage (mV), Power Limit (%)(click to prioritize power limit or temperature limit), Core Clock (Mhz) , Memory Clock (Mhz) and Fan Speed (%)

As you all know OC involves clocks and voltages and one important thing: Silicone lottery! Your card will go up in clocks up to a point where voltage cannot give you more speed unless you move to other cooling setup! As i always say: " There is no crap card, there is different cards requiring different voltages to reach different clocks depending on the chips capabilities" My 2 Watercooled Titans ASIC 69%,@1,212v@1150mhz reach @1,40v@1400mhz!

First things first: Flash your card with the appropriate bios supplied by your in-the-house-modder my Brother Skyn3t!

It will unlock your voltage up to 1,212v, disable boost and increase your power target up to 200% to enable your card along with voltage to up those clocks to where you want them!

Titan Owners Club ( AKA T.O.C. Dinosaurs Club, thank Skupples for that Dino accronim biggrin.gif ) : http://www.**************/t/1363440/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-owners-club/0_100#post_19353582

780 Owners Club: http://www.**************/t/1393791/official-nvidia-gtx-780-owners-club/0_100#post_20027616

Now download EZ3flash: EZ3FLASH VBIOS TOOL W/SAVE FUNCTION

and my guide on how to use it: ED´S EZ3FLASH GUIDE

Now, you have your bios flashed, unlocked voltage, no boost and have a juicy power target of 200% to play with!

ON AIR - Set your voltage in AB to 1,212v (Remember that with LLC disabled you have an increase of 0.025v ending with 1,24v), prioritize temperature on the Power Limit tab , increase your fan to minimum 70% and increase it as you see temps go up, dont let it go above 80C! PT SLIDER TO 100 only increase it if you are having throttling clocks and hitting 100% PT (More on this later wink.gif)

Start by increasing +100mhz in the Core Clock tab, leave the memory at +0 for now, go play your favorite game or bench (I advise to use FarCry3 for clock testing along with Metro LL and 3Dmark11 you can use also Tombraider benchmark as many people have said its very stressing (not me! tongue.gif) )

If you find your new increased clocks are stable through your tests, go ahead and increase another +50mhz to the Core Clock and so on until you crash, freeze or start to have artifacts, then back down 10mhz and test again! REMEMBER IT IS STABLE FOR YOU WHEN IT DOESNT CRASH IN YOUR GAME/BENCH, you´ll find that the word stable is dynamic and not static as it will vary from game to game and bench to bench, unless you´re benching and of course you´ll need high memory clocks, but as there is no way to increase memory voltage and depends on memory and your chip´s memory controller your millage will vary!

Before you start to whine about "Hey what about the 13mhz increments, youre not doing in in the guide!"

The values i suggest are figurative and you can try the accurate values you want of course, more on the 13mhz here with my Brother´s explanation: http://www.**************/t/1393791/official-nvidia-gtx-780-owners-club/13800_100#post_21206343

You can create profiles for your favorite games and benches in AB:

LL

Now that you found your sweet spot between core clock and voltage, start increasing your memory OC with +50mhz at a time (I advise to test with Crysis 3, Metro LL) when it starts to give you artifacts back down 50mhz and you got your MAX core with your MAX memory OC,

Now i MUST emphasize that if you're on a single monitor you wont see much improvement in FPS and it might impair your core clock speeds as it will crash your card and you might blame your core when its the memory crashing your card! IF you have a 4K monitor or multi monitor then yes you will see an improvement in smoothness rather increase in FPS, so, OC your core first and after your memory!

What?!?!? Its not enough?!?!? You want more? Ok! thumb.gif

But you have to get wet...

ON WATER- Now that you have your brand new EK waterblock (I dont have to tell you its the best to cool your card´s VRM´s right? biggrin.gif ) installed and ready to rumble,

Crank that voltage to 1,300v, (remember its +0.025v landing you on the 1,330v area) set your core clock to 1200mhz, leave your memory at +0 and test it (Again FAR CRY 3 and METRO LL or 3DMARK11) increase core clocks until you start having crashes! AGAIN REMEMBER IT IS STABLE FOR YOU WHEN IT DOESNT CRASH IN YOUR GAME/BENCH, keep the temperature prioritized as your card´s under water and you have no temperature worries so with that free the power draw!

NOW lets talk a little about PT as it will become a challenge to understand it as it varies from card to card due each chip´s design;

You might have shutdowns because you set your PT too high! when you set your PT to the MAX and give enough voltage and clocks to the card you will have spikes in the current (Amperage) and your PSU if its not Single Rail it will EXCEED the 25/30A most Multi rail PSU´s have on the 12v PCIe and trip your PSU OCP (Over Current Protection)

IMO you only should increase your PT if you are seeing throttling clocks and hitting 100% PT!

Now go for the memory OC, same applies as above IMO you should not care much about memory unless you bench or have 4K or multi monitors!

Wait.. What? still not enough?!?!!?!? Woah! You´re tough as nails and have steel balls! alright then: thumb.gif

OVER THE BOARD: tongue.gif

Get the Zawarudos tool: ZAWARUDOV3 AfterBurner15/16

REMEMBER NOT TO HAVE THE VOLTAGE IN AB SET TO "AUTO" AS IT WILL RESULT IN A BSOD!

Enter your voltage as a 4 digit number

LL

Remember that actual voltages are always 0.025v higher due to the LLC mod being enabled:

1400 = 1425 which is 1.425v due to LLC

After you've clicked the apply button and you're sure your volts are correct head over to your Afterburner program:

LL

Then all you need to do is move your power target down one then back up one to make the apply button click-able.

Then just click the apply button and monitor the change using Afterburners graphs to verify it's worked.

Now you have your own personal nuclear plant in your own house!

running my titan's on water and wanting to see how they will perform at 1.3V