Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

What exactly does the down sampling bios do?

Does it make a 4k resolution scale down to say 1080? I have a Seiki 50" 4k screen that can do 4k @ 30 frames so it would be very nice if I could run it at 1080/120 frames mode but the card down down sampling to 4k so in essence I get to remove the 30 frames hdmi 1.4 limitation.

What exactly does the down sampling bios do?

Does it make a 4k resolution scale down to say 1080? I have a Seiki 50" 4k screen that can do 4k @ 30 frames so it would be very nice if I could run it at 1080/120 frames mode but the card down down sampling to 4k so in essence I get to remove the 30 frames hdmi 1.4 limitation.

After I registered (any payed to Techinferno, not a good method) and got the svl7 SC-Bios and checked: It changes the clock speed of the pixel chip, ups it by 60% to 70% (power state dependend).

It makes it easier to get to Ultra HD downsample to 1920x1080 with 60 Hz, but it is also possible without pixel chip overclocking.

As for your thing: If your monitor cannot do Ultra HD with 60 Hz, you won't get past the HDMI 1.4 limitation, In fact: HDMI 2.0 does not force a higher data rate on the cable, it allows cheating by lowering the color information detail to make that data still fit into the maximum data rate which is used by HDMI 1.4.

Only DisplayPort allows "true" Ultra HD with 60 Hz.

I replicated the pixel chip overclock settings settings to my EVGA GTX Titan SC, and it worked, but with side effects:

1: It causes a green screen with "Windows reseted the nvidia driver" from time to time since not all display chips like that overclocking.

2: MANY of my other resolutions didn't work any more, and I am up to 6K with the default 540MHz / 648 MHz on the pixel chip.

3: The svl7 timings for other overclocking setting are way to aggressive when being replicated to the EVGA GTX Titan SC, so I had to tame them a bit to stay stable, and I didn't kill the power management. it may have worked with HIS hard, but not with mine.

4: When trying less aggressive timings on the pixel clock to avoid the green screen problem I noticed that my other downsample resolutions were even more out of whack.

As for Ultra HD with 60 Hz: Check my homepage, section "HowTo". I made all my timings public quite a while ago, allowing me to do Ultra HD with 60 Hz as downsample over HDMI 1.4, and 3840x2400 with 60 Hz downsample to 1920x1200 over HDMI too. Maybe these work for your card too, without the need to hack around the BIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

After I registered (any payed to Techinferno, not a good method) and got the svl7 SC-Bios and checked: It changes the clock speed of the pixel chip, ups it by 60% to 70% (power state dependend).

It makes it easier to get to Ultra HD downsample to 1920x1080 with 60 Hz, but it is also possible without pixel chip overclocking.

As for your thing: If your monitor cannot do Ultra HD with 60 Hz, you won't get past the HDMI 1.4 limitation, In fact: HDMI 2.0 does not force a higher data rate on the cable, it allows cheating by lowering the color information detail to make that data still fit into the maximum data rate which is used by HDMI 1.4.

Only DisplayPort allows "true" Ultra HD with 60 Hz.

I replicated the pixel chip overclock settings settings to my EVGA GTX Titan SC, and it worked, but with side effects:

1: It causes a green screen with "Windows reseted the nvidia driver" from time to time since not all display chips like that overclocking.

2: MANY of my other resolutions didn't work any more, and I am up to 6K with the default 540MHz / 648 MHz on the pixel chip.

3: The svl7 timings for other overclocking setting are way to aggressive when being replicated to the EVGA GTX Titan SC, so I had to tame them a bit to stay stable, and I didn't kill the power management. it may have worked with HIS hard, but not with mine.

4: When trying less aggressive timings on the pixel clock to avoid the green screen problem I noticed that my other downsample resolutions were even more out of whack.

As for Ultra HD with 60 Hz: Check my homepage, section "HowTo". I made all my timings public quite a while ago, allowing me to do Ultra HD with 60 Hz as downsample over HDMI 1.4, and 3840x2400 with 60 Hz downsample to 1920x1200 over HDMI too. Maybe these work for your card too, without the need to hack around the BIOS.

Thanks for the informative reply. Where exactly is the link to your HowTo?

So from what I have gathered I cannot downsample a high resolution to 1080/120 it needs to be 1080/60 correct?

I would edit my last thread to add this but since it is still pending to be approved I will have to put it here.

My Seiki 50" can do true 120 frames like a monitor at 1080 resolution. For more info check out these two urls:

Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300) - Page 61 - [H]ard|Forum

Amazon.com: Seiki Digital SE50UY04 50-Inch 4K UHD 120Hz LED HDTV: Electronics

So I tried booting into dos mode by using StamatisX's guide. Once inside I tried using nvflash but it gave me a no dpmi error.

I also found this:

and this guy is using KeplerBiosTweaker to upgrade the firmware on his Titan.

Have you guys used that software? If not or do not recommend it have you see the no dpmi error before?

EDIT: I got the windows version of nvflash and used the command prompt to flash my first card.

So I tried booting into dos mode by using StamatisX's guide. Once inside I tried using nvflash but it gave me a no dpmi error.

I also found this:

and this guy is using KeplerBiosTweaker to upgrade the firmware on his Titan.

Have you guys used that software? If not or do not recommend it have you see the no dpmi error before?

EDIT: I got the windows version of nvflash and used the command prompt to flash my first card.

Try the DOS version again, use Freedos to create a bootdisk or bootabke USB stick for you.

The reason is simple: Flashing under a multitasking environment is dangerous, I killed my Nvidia 7950GX2 that way. It may work 100 times, and it won't the 101'th time.

With DOS nvflash it is impossible to have any multitasking program interfere, by design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Try the DOS version again, use Freedos to create a bootdisk or bootabke USB stick for you.

The reason is simple: Flashing under a multitasking environment is dangerous, I killed my Nvidia 7950GX2 that way. It may work 100 times, and it won't the 101'th time.

With DOS nvflash it is impossible to have any multitasking program interfere, by design.

Thanks for the reply but I already used win nvflash to flash the cards.

I just boooted into them so I have not messed with any tests yet. Two titans flashed and the third one is arriving tomorrow ^_^

SVL7 private message me with your Steam account. I want to gift you some games ^_^

I used the non downsample bios from here but now I cannot run my resolution at 1080 @ 120 frames. I was able to do it on stock without issues on my Seiki 50" 4K monitor. ( Seiki SE50UY04 3840x2160 50" TV ($1300) - [H]ard|Forum )

I am able to do 1080 @ 60 and 4k@30 but 90% of the time I use 1080 @ 120 for gaming.

Has anybody else seen this?

Thanks for the informative reply. Where exactly is the link to your HowTo?

So from what I have gathered I cannot downsample a high resolution to 1080/120 it needs to be 1080/60 correct?

JouMxyzptlk - 4K HD, Ultra HD, 6K HD HighRes game videos and panoramas then in the upper right "HowTo".

You cannot downsample 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 with 120 Hz resolution because the pixel clock cannot go that high. But it may work with 2880x1620 or 2560x1440 120 Hz, with or without the pixel clock BIOS hack is something you may have to try, I don't have a 120 Hz screen here.

JouMxyzptlk - 4K HD, Ultra HD, 6K HD HighRes game videos and panoramas then in the upper right "HowTo".

You cannot downsample 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 with 120 Hz resolution because the pixel clock cannot go that high. But it may work with 2880x1620 or 2560x1440 120 Hz, with or without the pixel clock BIOS hack is something you may have to try, I don't have a 120 Hz screen here.

I can see where you got confused. In my previous post I asked about downsampling but this last post is something different,

Before the bios upgrade I was running 1080p @ 120 frames per second but after the bios upgrade I cannot run that resolution @ 120. Now I can only go up to 60 frames.

That is a shame since FPS games play much better at 120 frames. So now I have to decide to either go stock firmware and run at 120 frames or keep this sexy bios but cap my frames @ 60 :(

Either way Great Job on the bios and I will not only donate for beers but I want to gift you some games on steam. So SVL7 send me a PM with your steam account!

• 3 weeks later...
Is there an Option to pay without a Kredit-Card to get the Downsampling-Bios? I have a Pay-Pal Konto but i dont have a Kredit-Card. And now i cant get Downlaod the Downsampling-Bios :-(!!!

Downsampling BIOS will not help You.

Even BIOS of SL needs hardware modification of Titan.

IF .... and it is good word IF...You want to overheat Your baby.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the SC BIOS for slightly over a year now. I run the max 1.212 voltage. Got 3 Titans in SLI overclocked to 1110 for gaming with mem set to +200. No problems at all. Tested stability for about 10 min with OCCTPT once. The PC was pulling 1472W according to my power meter. I do not run any mining software however.

I think it is more likely that the connector fried due to a bad/high resistance connection, than due to a BIOS problem.

I have been using the SC BIOS for slightly over a year now. I run the max 1.212 voltage. Got 3 Titans in SLI overclocked to 1110 for gaming with mem set to +200. No problems at all. Tested stability for about 10 min with OCCTPT once. The PC was pulling 1472W according to my power meter. I do not run any mining software however.

I think it is more likely that the connector fried due to a bad/high resistance connection, than due to a BIOS problem.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the bad/high resistance connection was just a build flaw in that Titan and I just pushed it too hard for too long or did my PSU/PSU cable have something to do with it?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. Do you think the bad/high resistance connection was just a build flaw in that Titan and I just pushed it too hard for too long or did my PSU/PSU cable have something to do with it?

Impossible to tell from a distance. You could use an IR thermometer to check for a bad connection in the future. A high resistance connection will get excessively hot under load. 70 - 80+ C at a connector, is probably an indicator something isn't quite right.

Added revised versions of the downsampling optimized vbios. Can be found attached in the first post. Should get rid of stability issues that certain users had with their cards. Thanks @Woklbokl for the feedback.

Hey there, i tried to flash my titan, but it gives me this error :/

I replaced the nvflash bios with some new files but that gave me the same message. (Tested 5.142 and 5.127 and 5.163)

Somone knows how to get rid of this error?

Haven't flashed the Titan from DOS in a while, but should work fine even with older versions. Else just flash from within Windows. Never got that error so far.

Hello There, i finally had time to flash the bios sucessfull, the new version works like a charm, not a single problem since yesterday.

I went straight to OC'ing, theese are my 24/7 results :

e26f903f69.jpg

Before :

http://puu.sh/97Mxi/157c9d3d38.jpg

After :

83.3 FPS AVG

Great work! , and i found what made the problems while flashing. The NV-Flash guide should be updated, the DOS commandline doesn't recognize the command -nvflash -6 ... the newest version only recognizes nvflash "ROMNAME" , if you do it like in the guide, it will say that you have to download a newer version of NVflash (Which isn't true because you already have the newest version, you are just using outdated commands).