Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

i recently flashed the v04 bios and it really works nice, i currently runf 1150mhz with the card, i am only little worried that the card sometimes really takes 90% of the TDP xD thats 315w

unlike many i want to keep this card for some time and just want to ask wheather it is ok that it consumes that much^^

i have the gpu integrated in my water cooling system so temps are really not the problem 30° ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just keep the card cool – especially the VRM area – and everything should be fine. Though good cooling can't prevent a defect, it helps to lower the risk.

Just for my understanding: "ACX" stands for Accelero Xtreme and not Evga's "Air Cooling Xtreme", right?

Greetings from Germany,

Raff

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, let me know in case you encounter any issues such as unexpected driver crash or similar. I did not test it for a long time.

I will. :joyous: In the meantime, could you give us a piece of info: What did you do to achieve better Downsampling ability? And could you rework the BIOS with 0,825 Volts for the idle mode or does that collide with the DS power?

Best regards,

Raff

Realy good Downsampling BIOS! I get 3840x2160 without changing anything (Extended Display Identification Data).

For those who don t flash or dont want to flash the BIOS try these in "Timings" "Pixel": 2012 and 1096 - my two monitors works great

I will. :joyous: In the meantime, could you give us a piece of info: What did you do to achieve better Downsampling ability? And could you rework the BIOS with 0,825 Volts for the idle mode or does that collide with the DS power?

I adjusted the pixel clock, lowering the idle voltage won't work with this tweak, you'll get an instant driver crash at the slightest load.

I adjusted the pixel clock, lowering the idle voltage won't work with this tweak, you'll get an instant driver crash at the slightest load.

Hello,

what do you mean with lowering idle voltage? I used my own downssamplingbios for more than 2 month without any problems. The voltage drops regular down to 0.86V @ P8-State. No driver crashes @ 980MHz pixelclock. Whats your idle voltage?

I just tried the downsampling bios, and wow, it makes setting up downsampling trivial now! I can easily go higher without needing to drop the refresh rate down. My monitor is the Asus VG248QE, and 2880x1620x120 works sweet, now to try higher. I couldn't get 2880x1620x120 to work before, I had to reduce the refresh rate.

Thanks!

ETA: 3200x1800x120 seems to be working fine. I'll try that for awhile and then go higher.

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting new one, will try it soon, I'm curious if it will give me 5120 x 2160 @ 2560 x 1080 without trouble.

Outstanding Bios Mod, thank you very much for v4 - 5120 x 2160 @ 2560 x 1080 are possible at 60 Hz without problems! Yay! :Banane44:

Question: Without watercooling or Aftermarket air-cooler one shouldn't OC the Titan any further, right or wrong? If wrong are there common (safety) values due to experiences encountered by other Titan owners? At 3DGuru I had read a guide which suggested +37mV, 104 PL/90°C with priority given to temp, +165 MHz GPU and +120 Mhz Memory, so I'm curious if by any means to try some more OC (based at eventually incoming values) or let it be like it is - at least if not wiling to go by water or more powerful air.

• Thumbs Up 1

All you can do per vbios is 1.2125V, as long as you can keep your card cool enough at this voltage then you should have nothing to worry about.

I don't recommend going beyond that limit (e.g. by using the MSI Afterburner trick) because the reference cooler can't really handle the additional heat, the voltage supply circuits on the card are relatively weak and last but not least the card won't switch to idle voltages anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

Outstanding Bios Mod, thank you very much for v4 - 5120 x 2160 @ 2560 x 1080 are possible at 60 Hz without problems! Yay! :Banane44:

Question: Without watercooling or Aftermarket air-cooler one shouldn't OC the Titan any further, right or wrong? If wrong are there common (safety) values due to experiences encountered by other Titan owners? At 3DGuru I had read a guide which suggested +37mV, 104 PL/90°C with priority given to temp, +165 MHz GPU and +120 Mhz Memory, so I'm curious if by any means to try some more OC (based at eventually incoming values) or let it be like it is - at least if not wiling to go by water or more powerful air.

With respect to the GPU frequency offset, that's going to be a function of your card and bios. For example the downsampling bios gives a frequency of 875mhz at zero offset, so you should be able to go more than +165mhz. I'm currently using an offset of +235mhz, which gives a frequency of 1110mhz, which is fairly conservative.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks svl7 the downsampling bios is awesome I can get higher overclocks now you think 1.212v is too much for 1200mhz 6500mhz? that's the voltage for gaming stable I can run benchmarks at lower volts but is not gaming stable

my card has the Accelero x 3 intalled and max temp gaming is 64c fans running at full speed tried the afterburner trick just to stick with one app for overclocking monitoring but voltage won't change with afterburner no matter what

is any way to make nvidia inspector to auto start with windows and apply overclock ? tried to put the exe at the startup folder but that doesn't work

Hi there, is there an Option for the GTX780 Users to get an new DownSampling-Bios?

Yeah, will see what I can do, need to catch up with all the requests. Will be posted in the 700 series mod thread.

Thanks svl7 the downsampling bios is awesome I can get higher overclocks now you think 1.212v is too much for 1200mhz 6500mhz? that's the voltage for gaming stable I can run benchmarks at lower volts but is not gaming stable

my card has the Accelero x 3 intalled and max temp gaming is 64c fans running at full speed tried the afterburner trick just to stick with one app for overclocking monitoring but voltage won't change with afterburner no matter what

is any way to make nvidia inspector to auto start with windows and apply overclock ? tried to put the exe at the startup folder but that doesn't work

I think 1.212V is still very reasonable, especially with your temps.

Afterburner overvolting should work, most likely you missed a setting or similar, but I don't recommend it anyway, except maybe for benching. The GPU won't go back to 2d voltage automatically anymore.

For auto-starting the inspector you can right clock on "create clocks shortcuts" and click on "create clock startup task". Make sure to run the inspector as admin, as always.

Yeah, will see what I can do, need to catch up with all the requests. Will be posted in the 700 series mod thread.

I think 1.212V is still very reasonable, especially with your temps.

Afterburner overvolting should work, most likely you missed a setting or similar, but I don't recommend it anyway, except maybe for benching. The GPU won't go back to 2d voltage automatically anymore.

For auto-starting the inspector you can right clock on "create clocks shortcuts" and click on "create clock startup task". Make sure to run the inspector as admin, as always.

ok thanks will try that

I have a kind of noobish question :nevreness: I currently use K-Boost to disable Boost 2.0 so my Titans always run at the OC clocks (assuming the cards are OC'ed).

This modded bios disables Boost 2.0. On this bios, does the card automatically lower its clocks at idle or 2d or does it run at OC clocks all the time like k-boost? How is this done without Boost 2.0?