Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

I just tested some things, and my conclusion is that the serial number doesn't get overwritten by flashing the vbios the usual way, so you guys don't have to worry to loose it.

It's still a good idea to keep a copy of the original vbios anyway.

New version of the undervolted vbios added to the first post. Lower 2d voltage and fan adjusted to minimize noise with keeping the card reasonable cool. As long as you don't adjust the voltage the temperature should be fine I'd say, but results may vary.

Let me know if you think this needs more adjusting.

New version of the undervolted vbios added to the first post. Lower 2d voltage and fan adjusted to minimize noise with keeping the card reasonable cool. As long as you don't adjust the voltage the temperature should be fine I'd say, but results may vary.

Let me know if you think this needs more adjusting.

Awesome. So if we're flashing with the UV version and not changing anything, should we just leave the fan curve to auto at this point (Of course your GPU's mileage may vary depending on the card itself and ambient temperatures)?

So if we're flashing with the UV version and not changing anything, should we just leave the fan curve to auto at this point (Of course your GPU's mileage may vary depending on the card itself and ambient temperatures)?

Yeah, I think it should work fine, but it can depend on the system and the ambient temps... If temps are too hot I can adjust it further, just need feedback for this.

I never managed to have a bad flash, also on a desktop system you can easily flash back in case of a brick, just use another PCI / PCIe card or the iGPU for booting.

5.134 works totally fine, the download links for the throttle-free vbios are in the first post.

• Founder
Hey guys,

I just flashed with the "Nvidia GTX Titan - 80.10.2C.0.90 'OC edition' v02 (SC version)" and the computer got no signal after I restarted - I tried to add another graphics card to it but it still would not boot; it did however when I removed the TITAN (switching slots made no difference).

Did the card die?

Thanks in advance.

Its possible you had a bad flash but the card should be recoverable. If you have integrated GPU or another GPU, pop it in and make it the main display. Then get back in nvflash and flash the Titan again and it should recover.

Hey, thank you for your response. I tried it on a different PC and it booted normally having the TITAN as a secondary card, I flashed it as you suggested (with the default BIOS), but unfortunately although the computer now boots (the one that originally had the TITAN and could not boot), I get no signal from the card; that is what the monitor says at least.

Give up hope?

• Founder

When you flashed it in the other PC and had it as a secondary card, was the other card an NVIDIA card also? In that case, you may need to use the nvflash --list function to see what number it assigned the Titan. So for example if its listed as <1> (secondary card) then you would use: nvflash -i1 -4 -5 -6 name.rom to successfully flash it. It should take and revive the card, I haven't really heard of a perma bricked Titan. if that is the case then you can try RMA but it might get rejected on the basis that it was flashed (if they check for that). Otherwise you can purchase a pre-programmed chip from @svl7 and restore your Titan or you can mail him your Titan and have him do it for you.

I tried it on a different PC and it booted normally having the TITAN as a secondary card, I flashed it as you suggested (with the default BIOS), but unfortunately although the computer now boots (the one that originally had the TITAN and could not boot), I get no signal from the card; that is what the monitor says at least.

Well, if you have the default vbios on it now you can just RMA the card, it seems like there's definitely something wrong hardware-wise. Though first of all you could try a bios reset, also make sure the display cable is properly plugged in.

I tested your new version of the UV Bios today. Flashed it several times, reinstalled drivers, tried differnt drivers, etc.

Card keeps at lowest P-State no matter what application i'm running. Can't change voltage either.

Card keeps at lowest P-State no matter what application i'm running. Can't change voltage either.

It works fine for me. Did anyone else here test the vbios and run into the same issues?

svl7 - i'm new to the thread and have (successfully) used your titan bios (GTX_Titan_-_80.10.2C.00.90'_-_'OC_edition'_v02_(SC_version)). i have 2 watercooled cards and was wondering if your bios can be fan modded with kepler bios editor? I use the editor to (again, successfully) mod the evga oem SC bios to set fans to 0 and also to increase the power limits. If i simplly set the fans to zero in your bios with kepler wand save... would that work or "fark" your bios? BTW, nice work on the voltage slider! very nice!

jpmboy

(I use these cards to drive a 4K monitor and having the clocks and mV up helps alot)

Got my SC Titan replacement on Monday (RMAd for clicking/ticking fan noise) and noticed something interesting...

My "original" SC boosted at 1058Mhz using 1.15V, the replacement boosts at 1045Mhz at 1.162V. Nothing strange so far, different cards boost at different freqs and voltages.

The strange thing is that with my "original" Titan and the TI bios i had full voltage control all the way from 1.137V (default value at 928Mhz) to 1.212V. With the replacement card and the same bios i can't set the voltage at anything less than 1.162V and 1.162V is the default value for the same 928Mhz. Still i can set it anywhere from 1.162V to 1.212V.

Strange though, i thought the 1.137V was kind of "universal" base voltage in this bios...i uninstalled/installed the Precision...

I don't remember uninstalling/installing the drivers though but i can't see how this would fix it since i was going back and forth from the stock bios to TI in my first Titan without having reinstall the drivers. I just missed running the card at 928Mhz and 1.137V in not demanding games (like F1 2012 maxed) and keep the card cool and quiet.

The Auto-fan in version 2 works great guys...

set fans to 0 and also to increase the power limits

This won't make a difference. The fan is disconnected so you can also set it to 100% speed and you will still have the same power limits.

Got my SC Titan replacement on Monday (RMAd for clicking/ticking fan noise) and noticed something interesting...

My "original" SC boosted at 1058Mhz using 1.15V, the replacement boosts at 1045Mhz at 1.162V. Nothing strange so far, different cards boost at different freqs and voltages.

The strange thing is that with my "original" Titan and the TI bios i had full voltage control all the way from 1.137V (default value at 928Mhz) to 1.212V. With the replacement card and the same bios i can't set the voltage at anything less than 1.162V and 1.162V is the default value for the same 928Mhz. Still i can set it anywhere from 1.162V to 1.212V.

Strange though, i thought the 1.137V was kind of "universal" base voltage in this bios...i uninstalled/installed the Precision...

I don't remember uninstalling/installing the drivers though but i can't see how this would fix it since i was going back and forth from the stock bios to TI in my first Titan without having reinstall the drivers. I just missed running the card at 928Mhz and 1.137V in not demanding games (like F1 2012 maxed) and keep the card cool and quiet.

The Auto-fan in version 2 works great guys...

Not sure what's wrong, though sometimes it really might be the driver or the board. Yesterday I tested a new Titan from my buddy which he got through RMA, and it boosted only to 873MHz, 1.15V. I thought that was very weird, but now after a proper system reset and power drain it boosts to 1006MHz at 1.16V (all stock vbios)....

Not sure what's wrong, though sometimes it really might be the driver or the board. Yesterday I tested a new Titan from my buddy which he got through RMA, and it boosted only to 873MHz, 1.15V. I thought that was very weird, but now after a proper system reset and power drain it boosts to 1006MHz at 1.16V (all stock vbios)....

Hmmm, i'll uninstall/clean install the driver for starters just to see what happens...

Like i wrote, not a real prob, just a little bit strange that the card doesn't "honor" the bios settings...

Hello, I applied your SC bios and it works perfectly. Clocks are nailed in stone now. Thank you!

I have a number of questions though:

1. How do Voltages work in this bios - by default how high should they be increasing by itself if I don't make any adjustments in the software?

2. Can I edit voltages and clock mhz of the TI SC bios using the Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25? Do I just save the bios file or create a new one? I've read on another site that it's not recommended to use that tool to make changes to this bios... But I want to just set the 3d core clock to what I want and put the voltages back to its default setting, because my Titans clock up to 1050-something with no voltage adjustments with stock bios... And I don't need more (until I get waterblocks at least).

I know I could use software - but I want to put those changes into the bios.

Thanks! ))

Hi svl7, do you think you can make a version of your bios with 3d voltage locked at 1.2125V?

My Titan is really leaky and will only be stable at 1.2125V irregardless of the amount that I overclock.

I flashed the UV BIOS today for the first time, just to test it out. Why does it lock my cards in P8 state? My GPU Clock and Default Clock say 876mhz but the current clock NEVER moves from 324mhz no matter what I try and run.

And now I flashed them with the previous UV v00 BIOS and now my motherboard can't even post when the video cards are plugged in to the PCI-e slots. I'm pretty sure you're stupid splash screen F'd up my video cards because I vaguely saw it before it went black and my monitor turned off. I can post just fine and boot with the video cards removed, but my motherboard gets stuck on B2 Q code not allowing me to flash them back.

Thanks a lot D-bag.

• Founder
I flashed the UV BIOS today for the first time, just to test it out. Why does it lock my cards in P8 state? My GPU Clock and Default Clock say 876mhz but the current clock NEVER moves from 324mhz no matter what I try and run.

And now I flashed them with the previous UV v00 BIOS and now my motherboard can't even post when the video cards are plugged in to the PCI-e slots. I'm pretty sure you're stupid splash screen F'd up my video cards because I vaguely saw it before it went black and my monitor turned off. I can post just fine and boot with the video cards removed, but my motherboard gets stuck on B2 Q code not allowing me to flash them back.

Thanks a lot D-bag.

Blame your stupid self for whatever you did.

Sent from my GT-N7000

No idea how you managed to mess up like this, but reading your post you probably not the brightest person around. Don't blame me for your stupidity, I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with the vbios. If done properly recovery is a matter of minutes.

Take a break, we don't need disrespectful users here.