Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

[MENTION=5]5150 Joker[/MENTION]: Hi have you any 1080p gaming benches with the Svl7 bios with max clocks? ive got a 120hz screen and was wondering if the overclocked titan with svl7´s bios was close or better than the 690. i asked Svl7 and he has no games installed, so i ask your help! ;)

Thanks in advance

Ed

• Founder
@Brian: Hi have you any 1080p gaming benches with the Svl7 bios with max clocks? ive got a 120hz screen and was wondering if the overclocked titan with svl7´s bios was close or better than the 690. i asked Svl7 and he has no games installed, so i ask your help! ;)

Thanks in advance

Ed

My display is 1440p so I don't have 1080p results but at 1080p you should be able to max out most games and get above 60 fps with a single titan. However, I'm not sure if you'll hit 120+ fps in demanding games, for that you might need two Titans or to turn down things like AA.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far this is the best BIOS for Titan at least for me, I had heavy throttling during 3dmark11 and now it stabilized. My 3dmark11 single Titan went from 15325 -> 15768, SLI Titan from 23903 -> 24147 and 3dmark Vantage SLI from 65690 -> 66652. I will test other synthetic benchmarks and game benchmarks soon. I think they will break all my records. Thanks @svl7!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, first post here, just yet another Titan owner who would love a bios that only increases the max TDP while everything else remains intact.

So first of all i'd like to thank svl7 for his work and 5150 Joker who keeps giving useful infos and all the others that have posted feedback.

Now, since i am not thrilled flashing bios's just to test them i have a few questions, just to be sure that this version is exactly what i need.

I own an EVGA SC. My card -voltage-wise- behaves like this (all settings stock):

[email protected] (idle)

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected] (max boost out of the box without touching anything)

If i flash the SC version of svl7's bios, will this behavior (freq/voltage) continue to be the same?

I like the way it operates just as it is minus the throttling so i'd love to preserve this bahavior just minus the bloody TDP throttling.

Also, in order to avoid throttling will i have to keep the temp under a specific temperature other than the temp target i select?

Thanks in advance.

I downloaded this bios and it is the best one i have tried so far... I have tried many. I am a member of overclock.net and many others. I am running a quad titan setup and now all my cards clock the same and do not throttle! I am on air and running 1123mhz on core and 200mhz offset on memory. I am also using 1187 volts... Thank you so much and i am looking forward to being a part of this forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Speedy, long time no see :D So you joined the Titan club? Hehehe.

I need to adjust the vbios a bit though... seems the fan curve gets messed up a bit when allowing 100% manual fan speed.

Hi , Nice work! Is there a chance you could create a bios that allows higher core voltage ? I currently use a bios with powermodified to 150% and 1 of my cards cant go past 140mhz+ on core with 1.2v. Running tri sli on water.

I own an EVGA SC. My card -voltage-wise- behaves like this (all settings stock):

[email protected] (idle)

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected] (max boost out of the box without touching anything)

If i flash the SC version of svl7's bios, will this behavior (freq/voltage) continue to be the same?

I like the way it operates just as it is minus the throttling so i'd love to preserve this bahavior just minus the bloody TDP throttling.

Also, in order to avoid throttling will i have to keep the temp under a specific temperature other than the temp target i select?

Never mind, gave it a quick try so i am answering to myself.

Flashed the SC version, so under full load it boosts at 928Mhz with 1.137V if i remember correctly. Then all i have to do is to just add the right gpu offset to get the wanted frequency under load. Very Fermi-style, i dig it, nice work.

Flashed back the stock bios though, something is wrong with the way the Auto fan works. Also when i set +13mv (MSI Afterburner beta 9) the voltage remained 1.137V while i am pretty sure it should be 1.15V, played with OC and voltage only for a few minutes so don't quote me on this (i always reinstall both the driver and the AB after a flash no matter if it's needed or not, just in case).

No throttling whatsoever (best way to test for me is 3dmark11 1st test, even at the stock boost i was getting throtle/downclocking), nice work, i'll give it a try again in the future for sure. ;)

On page 3 of this thread you can read that svl7 recommends using Nvidia Inspector instead of RivaTuner derivatives such as AB and Precision. Maybe try that and report back, Sorry that I can't help directly. I'm still in the middle of redoing my rig

On page 3 of this thread you can read that svl7 recommends using Nvidia Inspector instead of RivaTuner derivatives such as AB and Precision. Maybe try that and report back, Sorry that I can't help directly. I'm still in the middle of redoing my rig

Darn, you are right sir!!! I've read that, i just forgot it! Thank you!

Don't worry though, the reason i got back to stock is the auto-fan operation. You see i have two "modes" operating this card (profiles actually).

1st profile is for the games that don't need OC at all (for instance F1 2012 with every setting maxed). For this i just leave the card as it is (max boost 1058Mhz by default), power target to the max value, temp target at around 85-88C and auto fan.

2nd profile is for the games that i need to OC (Crysis 3, Farcry 3 etc) to get the best out of them (AA lover here). In this case i always set manually the fan rpms at a fixed value (70-73%) and that's my 2nd profile. I can live with the performance-noise trade off in this case.

I just didn't want to set the rpms manually to a fixed value for the first case and i don't feel like i bother making a custom profile curve at the time being...

But i'll try it again for sure, being an ex-Fermi user (skipped the 6xx line) with this bios it feels more like "home" comparing to the Boost mambo jumbo... ;)

• Founder

@fommof the fan profile should work just like the stock bios, only it lets you go above 85%. I haven't had any issue setting custom curves in precision x.

Sent from my GT-N7000

@fommof the fan profile should work just like the stock bios, only it lets you go above 85%. I haven't had any issue setting custom curves in precision x.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Talking about the stock auto-fan operation here. No it doesn't work like the stock bios, way lower rpms and very slow increasment when the temp climbs up. Again, i am talking ONLY about the auto-fan operation, not the custom curves.

@Brian , ok just realized that you use the Precision X and i keep thinking about my MSI AB/voltage "prob" (quoted because i am not sure it's an actual issue, didn't have the time to play with it yesterday so it might just be a user error).

Tell you what guys, i'll flash my Titan with the SC version again today and will test it thoroughly at the weekend. I'll experiment with it, keep graphs (or videos if i am allowed to post them in here) and post them here for everyone else to get the idea about the behavior. ;)

Direct comparison to the stock SC bios.

Had a non-stop 8 hour OC/stability testing session yesterday with the SC version.

Actually i was right, AB beta 9 can't change/set the voltage. No problem with the Precision although it's a shame it doesn't store the voltage setting in the profiles so i have to do it manually every time. Tried the Nvidia Inspector, not going to bother with it, not very handy interface.

As expected, no throtle at all no matter the freq, voltage or what i run. Max TDP dunring the tests was 86% if i remember corectlly which translates to a whooping 301W. If this is your first no-throttle bios, watch the temps closely. It's one thing running the card at X frequency at 1.2V and seconds later to have the card running at way lower freq and voltage due to power throttling and another thing to have the card running continuously at these settings.

This bios has 1.137V as a starting voltage. While i am not 101% done with testing it seems that my card could be stable at 1084Mhz with 1.137V which is a nice surprise since by default with the stock bios my card boosted to 1058Mhz with 1.15V.

No probs at all with idling, downclocked to 2D freq/voltage every signle time as expected.

I have a ton of graphs that show the behavior of this bios but i don't know if i should post them in this thread (don't want to mess it up with a bucket of charts) or better create a new one.

Once again, nice work @svl7 , whenever you fix the auto-fan curve issue i am sure i'll be the first to download it. ;)

EDIT: actually just did a new record lol, max power during running loops 90%, 315W...nice one...

• Thumbs Up 2

The voltage adjustment with Precision does indeed appear to be a little flaky. In order to fix it sometimes you have to clean install the utility. I've also found that it helps to apply the voltage adjustment just before saving a profile. With some messing around it should eventually take even after a reboot.

• Founder

What I do is use nv inspector shortcuts and have them run at start up. Both my cards are preset to run at 1120MHz and 1.175v while precision x controls the custom fan curve.

Sent from my GT-N7000

What I do is use nv inspector shortcuts and have them run at start up. Both my cards are preset to run at 1120MHz and 1.175v while precision x controls the custom fan curve.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I've tried doing this but for whatever reason the shortcuts don't trigger the change in my set up @ startup. The desktop shortcuts however do. Very strange.