Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

My voltages watching videos are 1.1375 and 1.15v compared to 1.0v before, that 1.05v comes at the right time :D If you could go down a little bit more to 1.0v I would be grateful.

Have a nice day

Edit : this new one seems to have default 1.037v which will be in fact perfectly fine thanks a lot

Whoops, was in a hurry, might have uploaded the wrong one. 1.037v might be a bit low for certain applications. Will upload 1.05 when I get the chance.

I don't really see myself posting any vbios at OCN... you see, it took only about 30 minutes until my vbios was posted there publicly, with my little POST message removed. There are too many people over there who don't seem to be able to respect the work of someone else. There has been bullshit talk about me selling a vbios here for five bucks... seriously, the donation to the site is totally voluntary and helps us covering the server costs, nothing else. Leechers who don't feel like contributing anything can pay this, no problem, but it's ridiculous seeing a discussion about our policies on another forum, total waste of energy. I don't say that this is true for all OCN guys, but there have been a lot of posts which made me really mad (I think someone cleaned up there...).

Most of you guys have no idea how many hours it takes to figure out certain things. I released the vbios because I realized that a lot of people were looking for something like this and also because the only mods out there were kinda crippled. So if you want to use my mods, I ask you to respect my decisions. I might put the stuff on the public download site of T|I some day, I'll see about this.

I told them that you just have to reach 5 post count and get your acc approved.

I'm not the best hex editor out there hence I can just force some voltages it really is quite a bit of work indeed especially finding where to work...

ASIC quality?

You may have set the voltage too high/beyond the sweetspot.

Or your chip isn't good enough to sustain those clocks.

One SC ASIC is 73% and one vanilla is 77%. All on air and temp was only 58~60C tho. Oh, memory was on 3300 tho. Voltages are all on 1.212v.

Hi I just registered here. I've read through this thread several times, but I'm unable to find a definitive answer to my question.

With the OC edition BIOS, do the clocks automatically drop back down to 324MHz during low loads and idle just as with the stock factory BIOS?

Thanks.

My voltages watching videos are 1.1375 and 1.15v compared to 1.0v before, that 1.05v comes at the right time :D If you could go down a little bit more to 1.0v I would be grateful.

Have a nice day

Edit : this new one seems to have default 1.037v which will be in fact perfectly fine thanks a lot

I'll check the video voltages of the OC edition again when I get around to do so. However the current UV edition should be at 1.05V... I uploaded the correct file. What did you use to monitor the voltage? It seems weird to me that you would have a lower voltage than I have.

1.0V is too low for the 3d clocks, maybe I can tweak it a bit for the video playback clocks.

Any chance to release a bios with voltage raised above 1.21v?

At the moment it doesn't seem so. The limit which is in the vbios tells me the max is 1.2125v, and so far I haven't been able to get around the vbios limit in any Kepler card. If I figure out something I'll post the news here.

I was using Afterburner until I flashed with your bios.

I don't know about stressing gpus, but for a common usage 1v was fine.

934000Volt.jpg

Even 0.887v seemed ok but that needs to be tested further

Edit : Apparently adding gpu clock offset at stock settings results in voltages lowering, maybe I can use it for testing purpose

At the moment it doesn't seem so. The limit which is in the vbios tells me the max is 1.2125v, and so far I haven't been able to get around the vbios limit in any Kepler card. If I figure out something I'll post the news here.

1250mV was done on the Titan but there really is no use as the wacky power phases on the card don't do much beyond 300w therefor actually worsening your OC. (1.2125 is the normal limit for all reference kepler cards)

1250mV was done on the Titan but there really is no use as the wacky power phases on the card don't do much beyond 300w therefor actually worsening your OC. (1.2125 is the normal limit for all reference kepler cards)

It's one thing to get the card to report 1.250V and a completely other to get actually 1.250V. Did somone measure the voltage? I think I know what the mod was for this and I highly doubt that the actual voltage was 1.25.

The 680m for example is limited to 1.10V, I can totally make it report 1.175V or 1.1025V, but it will crash the driver at load, and the actual voltage is not higher than 1.1V.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's one thing to get the card to report 1.250V and a completely other to get actually 1.250V. Did somone measure the voltage? I think I know what the mod was for this and I highly doubt that the actual voltage was 1.25.

The 680m for example is limited to 1.10V, I can totally make it report 1.175V or 1.1025V, but it will crash the driver at load, and the actual voltage is not higher than 1.1V.

I measured when I set it at 1.2125v it's 1.225v actually.

ASIC quality?

You may have set the voltage too high/beyond the sweetspot.

Or your chip isn't good enough to sustain those clocks.

Modified the VBIOS with 0.875v and 0.861v and everything is fine ever since.

Edit : Apparently adding gpu clock offset at stock settings results in voltages lowering, maybe I can use it for testing purpose

Gonna check this.

Also the driver always changes between P0 and P2 when I'm watching a movie, so it basically switches between 3d volts and l3d volts... not sure whether it's due to dual screen or 1440p, but adjusting the 3d voltage in the bios wouldn't necessarily be the best solution for this as games might become unstable with an even lower setting.

EDIT: Adding GPU clock doesn't change anything on the voltage, it's always 1.05V with the undervolted version.

• Founder

For those running Corsair Link: Your GPU(s) will not enter the power saving states because the program keeps it pegged at p0. You will need to shut Corsair Link off in order to go below p0.

@svl7: Have you got any game benchmarks with max clocks on the titan?

Cheers

Ed

Well, to be honest I haven't played a single game with the Titan so far. :D Don't even have a game installed... Only did some benchmarking and vbios modifying.

Maybe someone else can help out.

Using the stock BIOS I've only went up to 1176 with my Titans on air (haven't tried mod yet). When I did the same on water I didn't notice a difference with the same settings and they're running at around 42C during high load. I'm guessing it's cause I hit the 106% power limit before temperature ever became a problem.

Modern air cooling has come a long way. It's really good now. With water you don't gain much extra performance nowadays, but you can on the other hand achieve a much higher degree of silence. My system for instance runs the fans at 400 RPM during idle and only have to ramp up to around 700-800 RPM under load (@23-24 ambient). The problem now becomes the damn PSU fan, that makes the most sound. So now I'm in the process of upgrading to a 1500W from a 1200W. It should allow the built-in fan to remain in the silent part of the regulation curve.