Nvidia GTX Titan - modified VBIOS for more control and better overclocking

svl7

Thank you very much for your work on this VBIOS, and for releasing it. I am new here and found this site due to your Titan VBIOS. :congratulatory:

The following is entirely unrelated to your nice shiny VBIOS mod, but it is regarding your nvidia inspector recommendation; With the latest nvidia r320 beta driver I cannot get nvidia inspector to alter the power target. It works with Precision X, however. Nvidia inspector just pops it back to 100% when clicking apply, and that was me testing it on a new cleanly installed Windows 8 Pro 64bit prior to even installing Precision X.

Furthermore, having done this nvidia inspector test I installed Precision X and changed it there just as I have with earlier nvidia drivers, e.g. to 106%. I then closed Precision X; launched nvidia inspector and tried to change the power target there, but this time it was stuck on the value I set in Precision. Just putting emphasis on the fact that this issue with nvidia inspector was on a system that had never been touched by Precision X.

I'm not sure what is going on here, but something is amiss. Someone else on overclock.net also reported the same behaviour with the latest nvidia beta driver and nvidia inspector.

Sorry for the off-topic subject, but since you recommended nvidia inspector I wanted to mention it and maybe hear a possible solution? Perhaps it is a discussion for another thread or PM's, since I do not want to disturb this thread with such a discussion.

Ok, thanks for the insights. I mainly recommended the inspector because it works fine for me and I had issues with the precision and Asus GPU tweak (also with the stock vbios). If it works for you, great!

The 320 driver seems pretty broken to me, especially in multi monitor and SLI setups, hope Nvidia fixes this soon.

Hi I have flashed my cards back with stock BIOS I didn't like the increased idle temps and when i overclocked my cards some BF3 textures wigged out mainly water and shrubs etc but its all fixed on original bios, if anything this has taught me how to flash cards BIOS so thank you for that I will keep the modded bios for the future tinkering at the moment anyways i finally got bf3 running butter smooth on the 320 Beta drivers in SLI - as well my cards don't seem to have throttling issues. If you bring out a BIOS with lower idle clocks and voltages I might D/L that. My GPU usage in sli and single card operation is back to normal too. Since i don't really care about benchmark figures and games run sweet as is I think i'll stick with stock BIOS for now.

Hello, thanks for the efforts, here is what I got :

The gpus were unrecognized at first launch and voltage control has no effect (1137 and 1150mv on 3D)

Which drivers do you use? And what exactly do you mean with 'the gpus were unrecognized at firs launch'?

Which of this two bios i have to download to try this?? :D

Im am a new user of this forum! i hope to enjoy read you.

Both are compatible with any current Titan.

I am using 314.22 drivers. What I mean is that when I rebooted, the display status was the same as no drivers installed, low res and generic video adapters detected. Windows had to reinstall the cards and drivers followed by a reboot.

I flashed back to a variation of Naennon's vbios as my voltage settings with Inspector, Precision X nor Afterburner did anything to the actual values, remaining as I said 1137 / 1150 mv respectively on each card which is even less than with +0mv (+37mv being 1187 and 1200mv)

To svl7, is it possible you could give us a hint where some hex newbies could look for and change the value for the serial number/relevant encoding for it? Just for a little extra insurance perhaps even if it weren't enough in the end if one had to RMA and couldn't flash back, hehe :P

I am using 314.22 drivers. What I mean is that when I rebooted, the display status was the same as no drivers installed, low res and generic video adapters detected. Windows had to reinstall the cards and drivers followed by a reboot.

I flashed back to a variation of Naennon's vbios as my voltage settings with Inspector, Precision X nor Afterburner did anything to the actual values, remaining as I said 1137 / 1150 mv respectively on each card which is even less than with +0mv (+37mv being 1187 and 1200mv)

Having to re-install drivers after a BIOS flash isn't typically necessary but can happen. It shouldn't be anything to be worried about. It typically happens when you install a BIOS with a different vendor and other IDs, one matching your card makes it easier. I guess I'll wait since I have too little posts currently to try, it seems :subdued:

• Thumbs Up 1

To svl7, is it possible you could give us a hint where some hex newbies could look for and change the value for the serial number/relevant encoding for it? Just for a little extra insurance perhaps even if it weren't enough in the end if one had to RMA and couldn't flash back, hehe :P

I see... I suppose I can make a tool which will allow you to keep your serial, but whether this will help for RMA with a flashed vbios, I don't know.

Having to re-install drivers after a BIOS flash isn't typically necessary but can happen. It shouldn't be anything to be worried about. It typically happens when you install a BIOS with a different vendor and other IDs, one matching your card makes it easier. I guess I'll wait since I have too little posts currently to try, it seems :subdued:

Exactly, since all vbios work fine on any titan I didn't bother modifying them all, therefore if you flash let's say a Gigabyte Titan with the vbios provided here, then at first boot the system will reset the driver. That's normal. It will always happen if you override an SSID during flashing.

If it's not too much bother, that'd be great :) Because for example even, I've got a Titan that was bought second hand with a BIOS already flashed and thus don't have an original with the serial in it. If that could be rectified somehow with the tool (manual input option alternatively to basing upon the number present in BIOS currently?), that'd be great to say the least. Whether or not it'd affect RMA in the end, I've heard favourable things with EVGA replacing cards with modified BIOS, leaving a note saying they flashed the modified BIOS back to stock so it may not be necessary even, might not make a change in their acceptance or not. But it'd be nice to have one less variable pinned down either way :) An expansion on that idea to avoid requests of clock or voltage changes, might be to add functions to change those as well so people can do it from there without muddling the BIOS up with tools such as the current KBT.

Just a few ideas either way, your work is appreciated much already!

• Founder
Would it be possible for you to make a sticky containing those Biosses on OCN?

The mods didn't like the fact that I linked to this site/thread.

Regards Maarten12100

If people from OCN want it, they can come here. The files on this site aren't meant to be distributed outside this forum. Eventually these files will be moved to the main TI download portal where anyone can grab it without registering just like ThrottleStop and other older bios releases.

Sent from my GT-N7000

If people from OCN want it, they can come here. The files on this site aren't meant to be distributed outside this forum. Eventually these files will be moved to the main TI download portal where anyone can grab it without registering just like ThrottleStop and other older bios releases.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Then they will have to know where to look, any indication on when they will be moved as it would make it less of a hassle.

Still hope svl7 might be willing to open a sticky or at least also host them on OCN (maybe after the move to the download portal)

@N0RVE that's one out of 5 be sure to make them useful posts :witless:

• Founder
Then they will have to know where to look, any indication on when they will be moved as it would make it less of a hassle.

Still hope svl7 might be willing to open a sticky or at least also host them on OCN (maybe after the move to the download portal)

@N0RVE that's one out of 5 be sure to make them useful posts :witless:

Since OCN doesn't welcome outside links, there's zero reason to ever post anything from here there. It works both ways so why would we help them out? It's also a hassle for people like svl7 to make a bios that nobody else prior could come up with and then have people steal his work and repackage it as their own. Furthermore, many people then end up bricking their cards after trying to modify it and start crying for support and will find none. When they come here, they give direct feedback to @svl7 and that allows him the luxury of being able to make changes into further revisions much quicker. There's a reason behind all these restrictions, we didn't arbitrarily create them one day out of thin air. As for when they will be moved to the main download portal, that's up to svl7.

P.S. The community should be grateful he even released the vbios. To be perfectly honest, he was very reluctant to do so initially and I had to prod him to do it. He was afraid people wouldn't respect the time he put into the development of the vbios and begin ripping it and he was right to a large extent. Many people in the desktop community think that other people's time isn't worth anything and that they are entitled to everything at all times. All this ends up doing is pissing off developers and they then never release updates or further breakthroughs. The next nvidia card will undoubtedly have the same restrictions or more and you can bet guys like svl7 will get around them but when they see their work being reposted everywhere w/out respecting their wishes, what do you think might happen? It will never get released except to a few select friends and the community at large loses out.

• Thumbs Up 4

Since OCN doesn't welcome outside links, there's zero reason to ever post anything from here there. It works both ways so why would we help them out? It's also a hassle for people like svl7 to make a bios that nobody else prior could come up with and then have people steal his work and repackage it as their own. Furthermore, many people then end up bricking their cards after trying to modify it and start crying for support and will find none. When they come here, they give direct feedback to @svl7 and that allows him the luxury of being able to make changes into further revisions much quicker. There's a reason behind all these restrictions, we didn't arbitrarily create them one day out of thin air. As for when they will be moved to the main download portal, that's up to svl7.

P.S. The community should be grateful he even released the vbios. To be perfectly honest, he was very reluctant to do so initially and I had to prod him to do it. He was afraid people wouldn't respect the time he put into the development of the vbios and begin ripping it and he was right to a large extent. Many people in the desktop community think that other people's time isn't worth anything and that they are entitled to everything at all times. All this ends up doing is pissing off developers and they then never release updates or further breakthroughs. The next nvidia card will undoubtedly have the same restrictions or more and you can bet guys like svl7 will get around them but when they see their work being reposted everywhere w/out respecting their wishes, what do you think might happen? It will never get released except to a few select friends and the community at large loses out.

I hope this Vbios dose not get linked or leaked anywhere else. I found this site looking for a titan vbios and found one that has worked beyond my expectations!

it was not hard to find and I cannot imagine how long this took svl7 to create. I have now looked at other work that svl7 has done and I am amazed. I tried most Vbios on OCN and they were ok to remove throttling and maybe a more stable OC but that was it with svl7 i have seen in all my benchmarks a great increase and during gameplay just feeling smoother at the same clock speeds. I will watch svl7's work closely and doubt i will ever use his one of vbios without donating to for his time and effort and that is what he deserves IMO and wont get that if his vbios wasn't here.

thanks again @svl7

• Thumbs Up 4

I have a quick question about the power target "Default power target = 350W" im a noob when it comes to this stuff which is why im going to ask apparently the default power target for titan is 300w what i want to know is if i use this bios and its 50w over what sort of risk am i running of cooking my card ? along with disabling boost 2.0 it sounds greats and its what most people want but has svl7 ran any tests to see the effect this has on the card long term etc because i can't understand for the life of me how 1 man can do all this and solve the titan problems and then you have a bunch of guys at nvidia that have taken 6 weeks + with a fix and have yet to release anything something does not seem right either they just don't want the cards fully unlocked or there's more to it than just disabling boost 2.0

I don't really see myself posting any vbios at OCN... you see, it took only about 30 minutes until my vbios was posted there publicly, with my little POST message removed. There are too many people over there who don't seem to be able to respect the work of someone else. There has been bullshit talk about me selling a vbios here for five bucks... seriously, the donation to the site is totally voluntary and helps us covering the server costs, nothing else. Leechers who don't feel like contributing anything can pay this, no problem, but it's ridiculous seeing a discussion about our policies on another forum, total waste of energy. I don't say that this is true for all OCN guys, but there have been a lot of posts which made me really mad (I think someone cleaned up there...).

Most of you guys have no idea how many hours it takes to figure out certain things. I released the vbios because I realized that a lot of people were looking for something like this and also because the only mods out there were kinda crippled. So if you want to use my mods, I ask you to respect my decisions. I might put the stuff on the public download site of T|I some day, I'll see about this.

I have a quick question about the power target "Default power target = 350W" im a noob when it comes to this stuff which is why im going to ask apparently the default power target for titan is 300w what i want to know is if i use this bios and its 50w over what sort of risk am i running of cooking my card ? along with disabling boost 2.0 it sounds greats and its what most people want but has svl7 ran any tests to see the effect this has on the card long term etc because i can't understand for the life of me how 1 man can do all this and solve the titan problems and then you have a bunch of guys at nvidia that have taken 6 weeks + with a fix and have yet to release anything something does not seem right either they just don't want the cards fully unlocked or there's more to it than just disabling boost 2.0

No risk I'd say, as long as you can handle the temps. Default power target was 250W if I remember correctly. The effect of this change is mainly that the card doesn't start to throttle at a certain load. It's great for benching if you ask me, but with the stock voltage it might be too much for long gaming sessions, depending on your cooling. At least that's what people have mentioned in this thread. I'll post an undervolted version soon, some people might find it useful.

I run this vbios for quite a while now, and no issues at all, but I have to say that I never had time for gaming, however I've been benching single card and Tri-SLI with it and pushing the cards to the very max (on air) and no issues at all.

It's not really a long time testing, the Titan is still a very new card, but seeing that the 670 and 680 folks have no problems with such mods I positive that the numbers I set are safe to use provided you can handle the temps.

My buddy Conkers used a 670 with a very similar vbios of mine for several months and all was perfectly fine.

And regarding the modifying... if you look around the forums you'll see that I've been modifying a lot of Kepler vbios, especially mobile cards. I started flashing the Titan the same day I got it, took me a while to get it to work as I intended, but now I've been running this for quite a while and finally am happy with the card :)

• Thumbs Up 4

I added an undervolted version to the first post. Same features as the other vbios, but stock 3d voltage is at 1.05v. This will result in distinctly lower temps.

However I simply don't have the time for gaming at the moment, so all I did was quickly test it on 3dM11 at 1440p, which worked totally fine. If you want to have lower temps, go for it, but please provide some feedback. Would be cool to know whether it is stable enough for gaming etc or whether I need to up the voltage a bit.

• Thumbs Up 3

No risk I'd say, as long as you can handle the temps. Default power target was 250W if I remember correctly. The effect of this change is mainly that the card doesn't start to throttle at a certain load. It's great for benching if you ask me, but with the stock voltage it might be too much for long gaming sessions, depending on your cooling. At least that's what people have mentioned in this thread. I'll post an undervolted version soon, some people might find it useful.

I run this vbios for quite a while now, and no issues at all, but I have to say that I never had time for gaming, however I've been benching single card and Tri-SLI with it and pushing the cards to the very max (on air) and no issues at all.

It's not really a long time testing, the Titan is still a very new card, but seeing that the 670 and 680 folks have no problems with such mods I positive that the numbers I set are safe to use provided you can handle the temps.

My buddy Conkers used a 670 with a very similar vbios of mine for several months and all was perfectly fine.

And regarding the modifying... if you look around the forums you'll see that I've been modifying a lot of Kepler vbios, especially mobile cards. I started flashing the Titan the same day I got it, took me a while to get it to work as I intended, but now I've been running this for quite a while and finally am happy with the card :)

First of thanks for the reply and thanks for taking the time to mod the bios for people who aren't as tech savvy such as myself i have few more questions just to be sure hopefully not to much of a headache to answer

The bios you provide comes with adjustable voltage , my card currently runs at 1.112 voltage at 1159mhz core clock and 3105mhz memory clock assuming i use your bios and set the voltage to 1.112 and the temps don't exceed say 75c-80c max ?(currently sits at 66c @ 73% fanspeed gpu usage 99%) then the card is working within its engineered limits correct ?

For reference i am using evga gtx titan sc

Sorry for all the questions i just don't want to fry a $1300 card and im torn between waiting to see if nvidia fix there broken cards or having to use a custom bios such as yours

Hey svl7, thanks again for the work !

I was just about to ask for a lower default voltage bios :)

I had some time to try it again today, for some reason this time it worked : Precision X is able to modify the voltage as intended, just like Inspector. Afterburner can't because it seems that on Inspector, voltage settings have effect only past +275mv, Afterburner beeing limited to +100mv I think that's why it does no change.

My voltages watching videos are 1.1375 and 1.15v compared to 1.0v before, that 1.05v comes at the right time :D If you could go down a little bit more to 1.0v I would be grateful.

Have a nice day

Edit : this new one seems to have default 1.037v which will be in fact perfectly fine thanks a lot