Buying a New PC

Hello, Im willing to buy a pc with the following specs for about 2400$, is it worth the price? and is it a better idea to wait for a next gen hardware?

- Cooler Master Cosmos II

- 850W Corsair TX850 V2 Power Supply Unit (Dual SLI Compatible)

- ASUS Rampage Extrene X79

- Intel® Core i7-3770K (3.50-3.90GHz) (22nm, 8MB cache) (Quad-Core CPU)

- SINGLE - NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 680 (EVGA) (2GB) GDDR5 (Includes PhysX)

- 1,000GB (1TB) 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar (Black Edition)

- Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)

- H20: (Stage 1) Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)

- 8GB DDR3 2000MHz (4GBx2 SODIMMS) GTX-8 XOTIC PC Certified

Hello, Im willing to buy a pc with the following specs for about 2400$, is it worth the price? and is it a better idea to wait for a next gen hardware?

- Cooler Master Cosmos II

- 850W Corsair TX850 V2 Power Supply Unit (Dual SLI Compatible)

- ASUS Rampage Extrene X79

- Intel® Core i7-3770K (3.50-3.90GHz) (22nm, 8MB cache) (Quad-Core CPU)

- SINGLE - NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 680 (EVGA) (2GB) GDDR5 (Includes PhysX)

- 1,000GB (1TB) 7200RPM Western Digital Caviar (Black Edition)

- Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs)

- H20: (Stage 1) Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)

- 8GB DDR3 2000MHz (4GBx2 SODIMMS) GTX-8 XOTIC PC Certified

You will run into serious issues while trying to run a 3770k on a X79 board...

So much for the main issue here.

In addition to this a H60 is seriously under-powered for a K edition CPU, and what's more is that you really should get an SSD for at least the OS and the most important programs.

You will run into serious issues while trying to run a 3770k on a X79 board...

So much for the main issue here.

In addition to this a H60 is seriously under-powered for a K edition CPU, and what's more is that you really should get an SSD for at least the OS and the most important programs.

First, I would like to thank you for your efforts and reply. I never thought of it, anyways, Could you please suggest a better mobo, and a cooling equipment? and Why would I need a ssd drive for the os?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah what ^^^ he said. The configuration isn't bad, just add a 3930K CPU to it and an H100i or preferably real water cooling loop.

There is no need to for a 3930K cpu to run video games ^^ and for water cooling, Im very limited with choices here, Im buying my pc from a site, and Im not sure whether I can include the link of it or not.

Thank you for your reply.

Well, the X79 chipset is not compatible with Ivy Bridge. You'll need a mobo with a Z77 chipset in order to run a 3770k, or you get a X79 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge-E CPU, e.g. an i7 3930k.

As for the SSD... it's not a requirement, but it's so much faster it would be a shame to run a X79 board without an SSD.

Also don't buy your PC from a site... for 2400 bucks you can get an insanely powerful PC if you build it yourself, really.

Well, the X79 chipset is not compatible with Ivy Bridge. You'll need a mobo with a Z77 chipset in order to run a 3770k, or you get a X79 motherboard with a Sandy Bridge-E CPU, e.g. an i7 3930k.

As for the SSD... it's not a requirement, but it's so much faster it would be a shame to run a X79 board without an SSD.

Also don't buy your PC from a site... for 2400 bucks you can get an insanely powerful PC if you build it yourself, really.

I went to local stores and tried to build a pc, the price however is higher compared to online stores, I have no idea what is the best available motherboard from Asus, as for the gpu, I'm not sure evga is the best available brand. Thank you again.

Haswell should be out in June/July 2013 if I remember correctly. Depends what do you plan to use the computer for. For games, it's probably a much better idea to go with stuff like Titan, but that also depends what resolution you're using, whether you have or want to have a multi-monitor setup etc.

Yes! I also suggest considering doing it yourself... it's kind of fun too. :)

Haswell should be out in June/July 2013 if I remember correctly. Depends what do you plan to use the computer for. For games, it's probably a much better idea to go with stuff like Titan, but that also depends what resolution you're using, whether you have or want to have a multi-monitor setup etc.

2 months from now and new mobos, is rather to wait a bit I guess.

Yes! I also suggest considering doing it yourself... it's kind of fun too. :)

Well, its no fun when you fry something along the way ^^"

• Founder
Well, its no fun when you fry something along the way ^^"

Pretty hard to fry something as long as you're grounded and aren't pouring liquid on the components.

• Founder
Yes indeed, Could you please suggest a good mobo to get? or whether its a good idea to wait for haswell or not?

Thank you.

Personally I like the Asus Rampage IV even though it has some issues being an older board. You could also grab one of ASRock's newer X79 boards that are pretty good and OC just as well as the Asus. MSI makes some decent ones too and so does Gigabyte. Haswell is right around the corner but its gonna be LGA 2011 like the current boards. However, the manufacturers might release some newer boards in time for its release (e.g. Rampage V) so I'd wait to see what happens.

No haswell for 2011, it's coming on 1155 first. 2011 is still waiting for IB-E which will likely be irrelevant (Slightly faster clock for clock but probably won't OC like SB-E).

A 4770K Won't work in a Rampage because it's a different socket, it physically will not fit. Just wanted to make sure that's 100% understood. The Asus Maximus V Extreme is very similar to the Rampage, but will accept the 4770k.

If this build is for gaming I would strongly suggest staying with socket 1155, haswell will be out in June if you want to wait that long.

Where will you be ordering from? I'm happy to do a "What I would buy" list, but I need a starting point. Preferably a store with an english option. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

No haswell for 2011, it's coming on 1155 first. 2011 is still waiting for IB-E which will likely be irrelevant (Slightly faster clock for clock but probably won't OC like SB-E).

A 4770K Won't work in a Rampage because it's a different socket, it physically will not fit. Just wanted to make sure that's 100% understood. The Asus Maximus V Extreme is very similar to the Rampage, but will accept the 4770k.

If this build is for gaming I would strongly suggest staying with socket 1155, haswell will be out in June if you want to wait that long.

Where will you be ordering from? I'm happy to do a "What I would buy" list, but I need a starting point. Preferably a store with an english option. :)

Thank you very much that's the answer I was looking forward.

This the site where I configured my pc.

Custom Laptops, Gaming Notebooks, Custom Gaming Laptops | XOTIC PC

- - - Updated - - -

This the site where I configured my pc.

http://www.xoticpc.com/desktops-and-servers-elite-desktops-executioner-desktops-ct-95_376_388.html

• Founder

Yeah I mixed up the upcoming 4930k which will work on lga 2011. Haswell E it seems might need x99 chipset though that hasn't been confirmed. I'd still go with lga 2011 if you're building a system soon and get a 3930k with it for future proofing. Theory is with the new consoles, we'll see more games using up to six cores and so ports should run better.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Yeah I mixed up the upcoming 4930k which will work on lga 2011. Haswell E it seems might need x99 chipset though that hasn't been confirmed. I'd still go with lga 2011 if you're building a system soon and get a 3930k with it for future proofing. Theory is with the new consoles, we'll see more games using up to six cores and so ports should run better.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I'm afraid that by the time that happens, there'll already be what 1-2 new CPU architectures (probably applies to GPUs as well). Buying stuff for something that *might* happen few years ahead is IMHO waste of money.

Then again, buying a pre-made $2K desktop is an equal waste too. :) Just for comparison Brian, how much did your stuff came out to?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm afraid that by the time that happens, there'll already be what 1-2 new CPU architectures (probably applies to GPUs as well). Buying stuff for something that *might* happen few years ahead is IMHO waste of money.

Then again, buying a pre-made $2K desktop is an equal waste too. :) Just for comparison Brian, how much did your stuff came out to?

I know its a waste but I keep a desktop for 5-7 years, I don't want to get outdated :/ soon.

Welcome to the computer world. It will happen regardless of what you buy now. In 5-7 years, It's hardly going to matter at all if you now buy i5-3570K or i7-3770K, or whether you bought GeForce 660 Ti or 680. Even in just ~two years you'll be able to buy a better GPU than say 680 GTX for a bit less money. Buying a piece of computer hardware NOW only to be used >= 2 years LATER... pretty much just wasting money. I really suggest you consider building your own, they're really not that difficult to put together on your own or just ask a friend or someone to show you. The only thing that wasn't as easy to put on for me was H60 cooling (I managed to strip one of the screw holes), but it works fine now.

680 GTX IMO makes sense if you want to play games on 2560x1440 resolution and SLI/CrossfireX if you have a multi-monitor setup (e.g. on my 660 Ti, FarCry 3, Bioshock Infinite work just fine on 1200p). For laptops it does make some sense, since most of them are either more difficult or cannot be upgraded at all. With a desktop, it takes what 5-10 minutes to upgrade most of the components, so it just seems kind of foolish to me not to use it. Other than that, you can always goof around with overclocking and keep running benchmarks with your new $2.5K purchase if that makes you feel happy, which is something I never really understood :P .

• Thumbs Up 1

I would also strongly advise you to custom build, less than one day of watching youtube clips and taking your time will save you HEAPS.

Unreal raises a good point, what resolution is the monitor you're using?

This is a rough idea of how much more powerful you could make the build.

2400.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I completely agree with all who say to build your own desktop!!! :) Every single prebuilt I've seen has a few good pieces that they can wave a banner about but they skimp you on the other components needed to really make it a good machine (they're trying to make a buck). The exception are the full custom prebuilts, but with a desktop there's no reason because to go that route because unlike laptops you're pretty safe with just a little research because most everything is pretty standardized. And the prices are SOOOO inflated over buying much better components yourself and building your own system. Also... if you do want to 'future proof'... even though systems do upgrade every couple of years, if you've built your own you may find that some components you CAN upgrade if you want to (for example, when SSDs came out) and you'll also be able to read the specs and really see if it's worth all the hype after all.

Your knowledge will grow dramatically and your machine will REALLY be YOUR machine and one you can love! :) for a fraction of the price of a prebuilt setup.

I would also strongly advise you to custom build, less than one day of watching youtube clips and taking your time will save you HEAPS.

Unreal raises a good point, what resolution is the monitor you're using?

This is a rough idea of how much more powerful you could make the build.

2400.png

This is my build ;) anyways, does this site assemble all parts?!, btw Im using a 1080p monitor.

mybuild.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like the newegg shopping cart to me.

Also, if you don't buy everything at once, you can get certain components for really cheap. Wait for a sale, Might take a month and a half, but you can save some money which is always a plus.

Looks like the newegg shopping cart to me.

Also, if you don't buy everything at once, you can get certain components for really cheap. Wait for a sale, Might take a month and a half, but you can save some money which is always a plus.

I get a 5% of anything I buy as long as its above 400$.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, given plenty of experiences from Newegg, it's definitely worth building your own custom pc. First off, you know the ins and outs, what you have, what its limits are, and certainly what you can accomplish with it. Second, you can cater your pc to how you like it configured. This is my process for when I'm building a PC, it's pretty universal and it starts with logical sense and works towards the extras.

First start with your MOBO, your mobo is going to be the link of everything. This is the centerpiece of your computer and what your computer will lack starts all from the motherboard.

Next comes the CPU. This is pretty important as well. Just because gaming doesn't use too much CPU power doesn't mean you won't use it. I have an i7 in my laptop and it's the best choice I've ever made. Your CPU use will come out of gaming, compiling pictures and or video (ex. Final Cut etc.), compressing and uncompressing files. Compare it to your motherboard to make sure the socket fits and it's a compatible match.

Next I go with RAM. Now as many people have 16-32GB, I don't even use 6GB out of my 16GB of RAM in my laptop most of the time unless I'm doing something crazy. If anything I'd go with 16, any more and it's really a waste unless you plan on using a "ramdisk" program, basically a program that will convert unused RAM space into a logical drive for stupid fast loading.

After that I'll move to my graphics card. This is where I'd go wild :) You know what it does and how it works, make sure you check the motherboard slots and check for slot drops when using crossfire or sli. Basically what I mean is if you added another card later, you don't want your setup to show "Nvidia GTX690 @ PCIe 3.0 x 16, Nvidia GTX690 @PCIe 3.0 x 4." Unfortunately most motherboards will do this :/

Next is the HDD. I would highly recommend going with a SSD, I thought it was expensive and worthless before I owned one, but now that I have one in my laptop I will never load any OS of mine on a standard HDD again. It's too blazing fast and reliable for me to think otherwise. You don't have to get anything absolutely huge, 120GB will be fine. It's basically used for loading your OS and any startup programs you have really really fast. Keep in mind, the snappyness of the OS and it's programs will depend on your CPU and HDD, and also, you're building a $2400 pc...you just have to get a SSD lol. However, the sheer cost of having large storage with SSD's is unfortunately still expensive at the moment, however, normal HDD's are the cheapest they've ever been. Pick up a 2TB 7200+RPM HDD and you'll be set for storage for your games, downloads, movies, music, etc.

The next part is really just getting a list of what extras you want as well. BluRay and/or DVD drive, front panel I/O panels (ex. for extra USB 3.0 ports), extra expansion cards and such. Really just cater it to what you're doing. I don't really think a sound card is necessary, but if you're doing recording and such I would recommend it. Also, most mobo's come with integrated Gigabit, so a network card really isn't needed as well. (Which means you'll have plenty of room for a PCIe SSD ;) lol)

3rd to last is the power supply. Why wait until so late to choose? You gotta add up all you have to make sure that you don't burn it out with all this stuff your jamming in your pc. One thing I would for sure look for is a "modular" powersupply. They will let you disconnect any wires that aren't needed so you don't have as much cable clutter (ex. floppy drive and most 4-pin molex connectors are pretty out of date, hardly anything use those anymore). Also, find a good power supply calculator, that will help you rack up an estimated total of how many watts you'll burn up. Remember this as well, the higher wattage your PSU compared to what your power output is will also give you greater life. (Ex. which car will live longer, the ford focus pulling a 2 ton trailer, or the Ford F350 pulling that same 2 ton trailer?) Make sure it has the minimum amount of connections to hook up all your stuff as well.

I would say the case is second to last. The reason why I save it for close to last is because you need to case to fit the stuff, not the other way around (unless you are purposefully trying to build a midget PC that absolutely NEEDS to be a certain size). Why sacrifice your videocard because it's too long for the case? The most popular cases to go with are Mid-tower and Full-tower cases, keep in mind Full-tower cases have plenty of room but aren't LAN friendly. Make sure it has room for everything and also last but not least---

Fans/Cooling. This is for you to decide, I won't get too much into liquid cooling but it can rack up the cost quite a bit. Compression fittings alone will add up in price, not to mention radiators, tubing, a pump, fluid, reservoir, more fans, lights, etc. If you are unsure about liquid cooling I would build everything with air cooling to start off, you can build a pretty powerful air-cooled computer for $1000 let alone $2400. Liquid cooling will come in when you are trying to achieve those above average clock speeds / to make your computer just look like it's the shiznit.

Other than that I hope people here don't criticize me too much :P But that's normally my way of systematically going through piece by piece to make sure I can build a system I'll be happy with for a long time to come! :D

EDIT!!! One last thing, when looking for a case, I would recommend a case that has good cable management. I have the Corsair 650D, it may seem expensive for a case, but it's by far the best case I've ever used in my entire life. And plus, a cable managed case just looks so purrty :3

• Thumbs Up 2