Intel 6 Core CPUs Owners Lounge

Conker

Happy owned of the I7 3930k. Have not pushed this thing as far as it can go with only my Corsair H100, but I do love it. It's nice to open up handbrake and it see use all 12 threads to 96%. Only running triple channel RAM though, can't find the 4th Samsung stick >:(

That won't make much difference anyway, except for benchmarking. From single channel to dual is a big step (> 30%) when doing video encoding, from dual to triple is a small step (< 5%), and from triple to quad only shows on memory benchmarks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im running a 3930k @4500MHz @1,35V on MO-RA 3 Pro + NexXxoS ST30(not rly needed but nice :D)

need some time to figure out the max. clock speed but im happy with it.

I have been using an i7-3930k @ 3.2 GHz (stock), had a few sudden freezes (mouse wouldn't move until I rebooted the computer). I'm not sure if it has something that is related to the fact that 4 of 8 DIMMs are occupied.

Which motherboard do you have? Which bios version are you using?

Other system components?

I never had such issues with my Asus Rampage IV Extreme and I have also installed four ram modules.

Which motherboard do you have? Which bios version are you using?

Other system components?

I never had such issues with my Asus Rampage IV Extreme and I have also installed four ram modules.

The CPU is paired up with a Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard. I'm using Kingston HyperX 1600MHz RAM sticks, checked for ram errors with memtest86+ (no errors found). Fortunately, the system almost never freezes (I would be more worried if it were more frequent).

UPDATE (5/21/2014): I ran my i7-3930k @ 4.2GHz with 1.224 core voltage. I found the max temperature to be 78 C, which is significantly higher than stock clocks (62 C) and Tcase (66.8 C) as noted by Intel. I suppose I'll stay away from overclocking this chip for now.

• 2 months later...
The CPU is paired up with a Gigabyte X79-UP4 motherboard. I'm using Kingston HyperX 1600MHz RAM sticks, checked for ram errors with memtest86+ (no errors found). Fortunately, the system almost never freezes (I would be more worried if it were more frequent).

Okay, then it's not to serious :)

UPDATE (5/21/2014): I ran my i7-3930k @ 4.2GHz with 1.224 core voltage. I found the max temperature to be 78 C, which is significantly higher than stock clocks (62 C) and Tcase (66.8 C) as noted by Intel. I suppose I'll stay away from overclocking this chip for now.

hmm ok...I had higher temperatures as well, back when I used the Corsair H100 cooler and applied an overclock of 4.2 to 4.5Ghz on all 6 cores...I think it's normal...

What's your cooling solution + thermal compound? When was the last time you repasted your CPU?

Okay, then it's not to serious :)

hmm ok...I had higher temperatures as well, back when I used the Corsair H100 cooler and applied an overclock of 4.2 to 4.5Ghz on all 6 cores...I think it's normal...

What's your cooling solution + thermal compound? When was the last time you repasted your CPU?

Noctua NH-D14 air cooling with Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Silver. I last repasted the CPU before attaching the Noctua heatsink (I don't remove the heatsink at all).

Noctua NH-D14 air cooling with Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Silver. I last repasted the CPU before attaching the Noctua heatsink (I don't remove the heatsink at all).

There's a noticeable difference in temperature, if one uses air cooling or a closed waterloop cooling solution. Especially if you want to run your 6core CPU with a preset overclocking.

I would recommend you to change your cooling solution to a Corsair H100i or a Corsair H110. ;)

I'm using AS5 as well and the following two pictues will show, how the thermal compound eroded/burned off over time.

post-1291-14494998022526_thumb.jpg

This was after almost a year in use, after some time you'll have to do a repaste, it is virtually unevitable ;)

post-1291-14494998021819_thumb.jpg

There's a noticeable difference in temperature, if one uses air cooling or a closed waterloop cooling solution. Especially if you want to run your 6core CPU with a preset overclocking.

I would recommend you to change your cooling solution to a Corsair H100i or a Corsair H110. ;)

I'm using AS5 as well and the following two pictues will show, how the thermal compound eroded/burned off over time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12134[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]12135[/ATTACH]

This was after almost a year in use, after some time you'll have to do a repaste, it is virtually unevitable ;)

I didn't do preset overclocking, my motherboard allowed custom voltage settings and memory clocks. So I manually cranked up the GHz in increments of .1 - .2 GHz through the BIOS settings. Then I checked how hot the CPUs ran under load with the specific overclock settings.

I didn't do preset overclocking, my motherboard allowed custom voltage settings and memory clocks. So I manually cranked up the GHz in increments of .1 - .2 GHz through the BIOS settings. Then I checked how hot the CPUs ran under load with the specific overclock settings.

Sorry, I have expressed myself wrong, I meant this method, modify the settings in the bios.

Your i7-3930K has a TDP of 130W and your current cooling solution, the Noctua NH-D14, is designed to cool processors with 130W TDP. As mentioned before, overclocking on a cooling solution like this/on air with moderate temperatures is hard to achieve. You exceed the 130TDP rating easily, when you increase voltage and clockspeed on your 6core CPU, the Noctua NH-D14 reaches its limit.

• 1 month later...

running a 4930k @ 4,5Ghz stable with 1.4v on the Vcore.

It doesn't seem to go any higher, while the temps on (100%) load are around 60c-65c on my watecooled system with all the fans set to the lowest possible setting (500rpm)

But that could be because i'm running 64GB Quad-channel 2133Mhz corsair dominator Ram. Or am i doing something wrong/forgetting something ?

• 1 month later...

Dual X5690 on SR2 here. 4500MHz since May 2011. Very stable. Will OC considerably higher for gaming/benchmarking but not truly stable (may get computation errors every 30 hours or so at 4.66, for example whereas 4.5 is stable for months of 100% crunching, etc.) EK HF supreme CPU blocks, MIPS SR2 chipset cooler (Cu/Delrin), 2 Titans at 1202/3333 cooled with EK copper/acetel blocks. (NO NICKEL CRAP!) Running Areca ARC 1880 series SAS hosts with a mixture of enterprise SSDs and mechanical disks. Dual Antec HCP1200W PSUs with wiring to turn both on as well as a pressure system to call for cooling pump. System in its own chassis with external water cooling system comprised of four MORA3 pro (9x140) rads, Iwaki RD30 pump at 24V, each radiator has its own 450ml reservoir feeding into a parallel balancing manifold which feeds the suction eye of the pump. Flow measured at 5 liter/min through all this stuff. Tubing is 1/2" ID Norprene held with SS breeze clamps. Is that enough? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I've buyed an Core i7-5820k last Christmas.

This CPU isn't fully occupied at any time. Is there any chance to get more out from the 6 native cores ? I thought sometimes i played GTA V the CPU wants to sleep. It was horrible. I've read something about "unpark CPU". What especially means that ?

Thanks for your advice.

• 8 months later...
On 7/22/2015 at 9:37 AM, Breascull said:

I've buyed an Core i7-5820k last Christmas.

This CPU isn't fully occupied at any time. Is there any chance to get more out from the 6 native cores ? I thought sometimes i played GTA V the CPU wants to sleep. It was horrible. I've read something about "unpark CPU". What especially means that ?

Thanks for your advice.

Have you fixed your problem? I've read somewhere that Win10 fixed some of those issues. I'm running a 5930k and have no problems on win10.

• Thumbs Up 1