Thoughts on how to fix an insanely hot laptop (75C idle, 100+C load)

There isn't much of a haze, it is visible scratching and other pits. Even after cleaning it off with paper towel + smidge of thermal paste as some rubbing compound and then a micro fiber cloth. It has a dark neigh-black rectangle where the die makes contact. When I first pulled the heatsink off, the thermal paste didn't even cover the whole die.....

I'll try to find another heatsink before attempting to swap the radiator.

I'll shoot ya a PM.

There isn't much of a haze, it is visible scratching and other pits. Even after cleaning it off with paper towel + smidge of thermal paste as some rubbing compound and then a micro fiber cloth. It has a dark neigh-black rectangle where the die makes contact. When I first pulled the heatsink off, the thermal paste didn't even cover the whole die.....

I'll try to find another heatsink before attempting to swap the radiator.

I'll shoot ya a PM.

Paste not covering the whole die will increase temps dramatically.

also remember to get a good and recommended brand thermal paste my alienware m18x-r2 dropped 5 degrees celsius with thermaltake.on my 3610QM stock, i`m preparing to overclock just figuring out how to mod my bios so i can overclock it from there instead of windows.

• 2 months later...

Alrighty, this thread is kinda res'd, but I figure this is better than making a new thread.

---

Pulling the sensor pin out makes the fan run full tilt. Which is great for temp! Here is a picture catalogue of what I did, brought to you in potato quality pictures (the image meta-data says so!).

My not-stock-at-all fan. Certainly looks terrible. But I love the airflow from these centrifugal fans.

post-6146-14494995823064_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of keeping the sensor as not part of the fan extender cable, but decided against for reversibility in the future - I didn't want to damage the fan wires.

post-6146-14494995823509_thumb.jpg

Cutout hole for the switch, the lockclip thing for the docking station keeps the switch from being toggled on accident.

post-6146-14494995823898_thumb.jpg

Rough test to see if the wires are long enough/etc.

post-6146-14494995824343_thumb.jpg

The completed adapter/switch thing.

post-6146-14494995824741_thumb.jpg

Rough layout of how it goes.

post-6146-14494995825211_thumb.jpg

The switch is currently set to the sensor connected setting.

post-6146-14494995825671_thumb.jpg

All nice and pretty looking.... for what it is.

post-6146-14494995826083_thumb.jpg

Fan error,,, more like fan fixed!

post-6146-14494995826493_thumb.jpg

Ran TS Bench. The CPU wouldn't break the 80C mark!

-----

For those curious, the fan extender cable was from a pentium 3 dell latitude. I don't remember the exact model. It was later filed under 'T' for 'Trash.' ;P

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 months later...

There are alot of factors to know as to why laptops get so hot some being

-Dust THIS BUGGER clogs your vents and prevents air flow from moving in or out so I recommend you clean that out asap

-Thermal Paste as you've said you've already repasted it so no worries there

-Room temperature one of the main parts to cooling a laptop.... If your room is above 25*c expect a hot laptop...

-Cooling fans this may sound simple as hell but when using cooling fans I really recommend you open tue maintenance hatch to the laptop, instead of blowing on the case, you actually cool the coper heat-sinks, with older laptops they tend to heat up much much much much faster and idles at very high temps...my 6 year old laptop will blow itself up without a cooling pad, and whats even more funny is that even with a cooling pad it over heats, this forced me to leave the maintenance hatch open and vola.. Fixed the problem

-Quality of the fan, have you checked that it is spinning at its greatest rpm? And that its still healthy? A slow spinning fan wont help.

There are alot of factors to know as to why laptops get so hot some being

-Dust THIS BUGGER clogs your vents and prevents air flow from moving in or out so I recommend you clean that out asap

-Thermal Paste as you've said you've already repasted it so no worries there

-Room temperature one of the main parts to cooling a laptop.... If your room is above 25*c expect a hot laptop...

-Cooling fans this may sound simple as hell but when using cooling fans I really recommend you open tue maintenance hatch to the laptop, instead of blowing on the case, you actually cool the coper heat-sinks, with older laptops they tend to heat up much much much much faster and idles at very high temps...my 6 year old laptop will blow itself up without a cooling pad, and whats even more funny is that even with a cooling pad it over heats, this forced me to leave the maintenance hatch open and vola.. Fixed the problem

-Quality of the fan, have you checked that it is spinning at its greatest rpm? And that its still healthy? A slow spinning fan wont help.

Woah, this is late reply but I'll answer anyways.

Dust: I blow out my laptop monthly, it stays very clean.

Thermal Paste and die pressure have had the largest impact essentially solved the issue.

Always in a temperature controlled environment. I'm bad with a useful unit of measurement (Celsius) but room is ~70F.

Cooling fans: minor improvement. thermal paste + die pressure had the most dramatic effect (over 20C temp drop).

Fan: Highest CFM fan I could get my hands on (I see 100+ laptops a month so I can pick out which have nice fans). At full speed (with switch mod) it MOVES! Funny in class.... it is immensely loud >_>

• 2 weeks later...

I would say check for an air gap if so seal it with duct tape (caution may void warranty . I would also check to make sure that the heatsink(s) is/ are making contact. I would also try (carfuly) testing the fan externaly by giving it the required usually 5v for laptops) voltage and amperage, carefully avoiding shorts. if it doesn't work properly I would try to find a replacement.

without going overboard with the modding,

- Clean the the laptop with a blower to insure smooth airflow

- reapply thermal paste with a high quality one.

- use a decent laptop cooler

- use a custom fan controller and speed up the fans in high load