Brian

• Founder

Got my backplates in today from EVGA, they are $20 each so the cost isn't too bad and they have pads on the back of them so they actually assist with memory cooling. I touched the back of them after a gaming session and they did get pretty toasty so that tells me they are working. Just make sure you have good circulation in the case to keep air flowing over them to remove the heat build up. My system still needs additional fans for optimal cooling. Here's some pics:

post-5-14494995001564_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494995002606_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494995003568_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494995004542_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494995005486_thumb.jpg

post-5-14494995006495_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

So much agreed, these backplates just add that extra awesome! I was surprised though at how hot to touch they were overall after so many supposedly saying the memory would generate negligible heat. My babies below :P

post-12140-14494995115336_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder
So much agreed, these backplates just add that extra awesome! I was surprised though at how hot to touch they were overall after so many supposedly saying the memory would generate negligible heat. My babies below :P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7220[/ATTACH]

Yeah it looks like they help in cooling as long as you got air running over them.

First reports I've heard of backplates assisting with cooling. Now to cover them in spiky heatsinks from radio shack and point a 200CFM fan at them. What do you mean looks will be ruined, THEY HELP THE COOLING!!!

• Founder
First reports I've heard of backplates assisting with cooling. Now to cover them in spiky heatsinks from radio shack and point a 200CFM fan at them. What do you mean looks will be ruined, THEY HELP THE COOLING!!!

Lol I have two case fans running air over them so that's enough.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder
Looks great! Any chance of lower temp? (even at least by 1C?)

There's no memory temp sensor so its hard to say. Could take a laser temp gun to it I suppose but it still wouldn't really tell me if its running cooler or not.

There's no memory temp sensor so its hard to say. Could take a laser temp gun to it I suppose but it still wouldn't really tell me if its running cooler or not.

I see. Well.. at least temp isn't higher with backplate. And it looks nice. Good enough for me. Heh :D

• 2 weeks later...
Do the backplates really assist with memory overclocking? My titan is sitting at +550 (not tested higher) without any troubles without a backplate.

I wouldn't think that it affects it much if at all, but I haven't done any testing since I tried the first Naennon BIOS, I might go back and capture temps again.

This reminds me that I should finally mount that backplate which laying around here... lol, just too lazy.

I don't think the difference is something which will affect the overclockability, but the backplate sure does look nice. Something like this should definitely be included by default with such a premium product. With that price Nvidia should provide a gilded backplate :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Supposedly they are offering free back plates for the 770s. And via email a rep told me that even though the titan ones are compatible with the 780s they are specifically making new ones for them. I wonder if they will offer those free as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...