[BENCHMARKS] The OFFICIAL Thread

Brian

On 12/22/2015 at 11:49 AM, Khenglish said:

Prema's trying to figure out why the 1.3V mod doesn't play nice with my card. Hopefully I will be throwing 1.5GHz+ runs up soon too.

All cards are different...

The 980Ms Fox is testing atm (no HW Mod) can't handle 1.2v and "already" blacks out @ some 1.175v...so he can't even test it.

Left all public GTX9xxM Mods @1.2v as that was already pushing the envelope for most people.

The mobile 980 Mod has 1.3v enabled for public, but also the 200W with their 7+1 power phases doesn't handle 1.3v too well, even though their stock voltage is already @ 1.1+ (depending on ASIC) and they use their native VRM voltage scales.

But since you are having the extra mosfets & caps, more voltage may be no problem.

Will send you the 1.4v later today: 

Spoiler

CCKtZO8.jpg

7 hours ago, johnksss said:

Ah, I thought you just added the missing mosfets.

970 desktop gpu i presume?

Yup. I also raised the memory voltage to 1.53V. I gave the 980m memory to the 970 too so it still works (just slower).

7 hours ago, johnksss said:

Ah, I thought you just added the missing mosfets.

970 desktop gpu i presume?

Yup. I also raised the memory voltage to 1.53V. I gave the 980m memory to the 970 too so it still works (just slower).

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Now that is an awesome mod there! Do you have instructions on this?

Swapping parts like memory is something people will always mess up on and kill the card on the first try. I could post what is needed to make the swap work right though.

I already have a memory vmod posted.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8820-980m-memory-overvolt-guide/

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, johnksss said:

And I have people for that. :)

Point me to the voltmod.

I edited it into my last post while you were replying.

You actually won't need to do any other mods to make the swap work since you already have Samsung memory. I had to because I previously had Hynix.

Got it.

So with a volt mod alone you were able to gain 400 mhz on you stock memory or the modded memory?

And this pencil mod changes over time. Does the voltage drop or raise over time? And if so, by how much?

40 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Got it.

So with a volt mod alone you were able to gain 400 mhz on you stock memory or the modded memory?

And this pencil mod changes over time. Does the voltage drop or raise over time? And if so, by how much?

He had to change other things on the board so that the vBIOS receives the Samsung instead of the Hynix ID, you could directly use the desktop vRAM as it's already set to Samsung.

The pencil wears off, raising the resistance and voltage drops again over a short time. 

Meaker did a vRAM  voltmod (pencil) without changing hardware and got them to about 1575Mhz (up from 1500Mhz)...so you probably won't see a miracle without changing the vRAM chips, too.

36 minutes ago, johnksss said:

Got it.

400mhz with stock memory. I then voltmodded .05v higher for another 156 mhz. The memory change then got me another 380.

Pencil mods can go either up or down over time. With the 7970m I found my voltage first went up by .01v, then over time dropped .03v.

1550 on both cards would do wonders right about now. Best i can do is about 1453 when running both cards. And the mod does not need to be permanent at the moment. It only needs to last for benching then it can disappear. lol

But on a serious note. I am thinking about that memory mod though.

400mhz with stock memory. I then voltmodded .05v higher for another 156 mhz. The memory change then got me another 380.

Pencil mods can go either up or down over time. With the 7970m I found my voltage first went up by .01v, then over time dropped .03v.

Hummmm, might be time to find some cheap 970's laying around with good memory.

23 hours ago, Prema said:

All cards are different...

The 980Ms Fox is testing atm (no HW Mod) can't handle 1.2v and "already" blacks out @ some 1.175v...so he can't even test it.

Left all public GTX9xxM Mods @1.2v as that was already pushing the envelope for most people.

The mobile 980 Mod has 1.3v enabled for public, but also the 200W with their 7+1 power phases doesn't handle 1.3v too well, even though their stock voltage is already @ 1.1+ (depending on ASIC) and they use their native VRM voltage scales.

But since you are having the extra mosfets & caps, more voltage may be no problem.

Will send you the 1.4v later today: 

Reveal hidden contents

CCKtZO8.jpg

I

It's all to much voltage technically. And it has to have a balance. This trip, it might be base off of two mods. One for higher overclocking and one for lower over clocking, but with a higher performance rating on air. Just like what Vince did for the Kingpin Classified 980 ti.

For me, it's a work in progress.. :)

hey guys,

i d also like to give my 980m some more volts than the usual 137.5 temp wise it can handle a lot more as is normally use 137 only for benchmarking is a completely new prema vbios needed or just some minor tweeks?

also it would be very great to have the possibility of undervolting und the lower states as my 980m never shuts off in the pm clevo and i guess for lots of other guys it woul also be a benefit als in the other clevo models the gpu isn t shut off anyways

36 minutes ago, chap said:

hey guys,

i d also like to give my 980m some more volts than the usual 137.5 temp wise it can handle a lot more as is normally use 137 only for benchmarking is a completely new prema vbios needed or just some minor tweeks?

also it would be very great to have the possibility of undervolting und the lower states as my 980m never shuts off in the pm clevo and i guess for lots of other guys it woul also be a benefit als in the other clevo models the gpu isn t shut off anyways

Try setting it back to adaptive mode then restart the laptop. This should give you back the lower power and volts when nothing is going on.

Yeah, unfortunately that is not going to happen at the moment. (undervolting lower than 1050V) without losing a higher voltage for later.

You should be perfectly fine at 1.05V for a 1.3 ghz or so overclock depending on temps. Memory varies. You could technically hit max on memory overclock, then dial back about 10 to 40 megahertz off of it. Depending on room temp.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/26/2015 at 5:45 AM, jaybee83 said:

holy crap@khenglish, ure beating all my personal highscores with a friggin mobile ES cpu one and a half generations back *lol* loving those hardware mods though, this is what distinguishes TI from NBR, the amount of original work :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ivy Bridge still is no joke. With Skylake it is finally getting outclassed slightly in all areas, but it's still competitive. What annoys me about NBR are the moderators and the just the sheer number of people spamming worthless posts. You can go page after page in a thread with nothing worth reading.

Also I just took the 3dm11 top spot on HWBOT despite having a quad core CPU

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10728576

1508/7500 clocks. Prema made me a special vBIOS set to 1.25V. This voltage seems to be the sweet spot with the throttling over 1.2V while still allowing higher clocks.

Also fresh driver install made things faster. 3dm11 is now showing the improvement it should with an extra 1.5ghz on the memory.

Now to try to get firestrike working again.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Khenglish said:

Ivy Bridge still is no joke. With Skylake it is finally getting outclassed slightly in all areas, but it's still competitive. What annoys me about NBR are the moderators and the just the sheer number of people spamming worthless posts. You can go page after page in a thread with nothing worth reading.

Also I just took the 3dm11 top spot on HWBOT despite having a quad core CPU

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10728576

1508/7500 clocks. Prema made me a special vBIOS set to 1.25V. This voltage seems to be the sweet spot with the throttling over 1.2V while still allowing higher clocks.

Also fresh driver install made things faster. 3dm11 is now showing the improvement it should with an extra 1.5ghz on the memory.

Now to try to get firestrike working again.

Now that is what I was expecting out of the memory upgrade! If that was done with a hexacore you would hold the top spot for sure there.

Edited by johnksss

OK so it turns out that the 1.25V was still throttling, and my gains were from doing a fresh driver reinstall. 1.2V is still faster...

FS. 11630 overall, 13802 GPU:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9956551

FS xtreme

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9956720

FS ultra

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9956775

3dm11 15733 overall, 17846 GPU

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10729005

This 3dmfs run bugged out. The combined test crashed while loading, rendering way less than it was supposed to giving me a huge combined score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/9956463

• Thumbs Up 3