[BENCHMARKS] The OFFICIAL Thread

Brian

Nice nice Mr. Fox [emoji41]

CEG Clevo Extreme Gaming

Your Upgrade Base for Clevo & Alienware - Notebooks Retailer - Made in Germany - We ship international - For NBR & Techinferno users always something ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is. I always leave the power target at default also. I tried up to 1.200V and it still goes black if I try to OC the GPUs that high. Maybe I will try doing something different with drivers. It may be a driver bug causing TDRs or something other than the video cards. These GPUs used to do that in my M18xR2 as well, so it may be something I am tweaking that 980M does not like and 780M did. This kind of thing is often caused by user error, and I'm certainly not exempt from that.

As a matter of fact, I think I am going to re-flash the GPUs with @svl7's vBIOS because I am using one that @johnksss spent many hours helping me tweak to try to get 980M working right in my M18xR2. There could be something about that vBIOS that isn't playing nice with my Clevo.

Edit: OK, I just flashed @svl7's vBIOS and I see it already fixed an issue I was having. Using the vBIOS I had before, disabling the GPUs in Device Manager made my display go crazy with garbage all over the screen and now when I disable the GPUs in Device Manager none of that happens. I see it also runs 1203 on core instead of 1173 as the base clock entry.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is. I always leave the power target at default also. I tried up to 1.200V and it still goes black if I try to OC the GPUs that high. Maybe I will try doing something different with drivers. It may be a driver bug causing TDRs or something other than the video cards. These GPUs used to do that in my M18xR2 as well, so it may be something I am tweaking that 980M does not like and 780M did. This kind of thing is often caused by user error, and I'm certainly not exempt from that.

So you already have Marcos vbios on your cards? As I said it seems his vbios works best on FS and Mark 11 and Premas works great on Vantage.

As a matter of fact, I think I am going to re-flash the GPUs with @svl7's vBIOS because I am using one that @johnksss spent many hours helping me tweak to try to get 980M working right in my M18xR2. There could be something about that vBIOS that isn't playing nice with my Clevo.

Edit: OK, I just flashed @svl7's vBIOS and I see it already fixed an issue I was having. Using the vBIOS I had before, disabling the GPUs in Device Manager made my display go crazy with garbage all over the screen and now when I disable the GPUs in Device Manager none of that happens. I see it also runs 1203 on core instead of 1173 as the base clock entry.

It was geared for the alienware and not the clevo....

It was geared for the alienware and not the clevo....
Well, it runs better with svl7's vBIOS now, since that one geared for the Alienware wasn't ideal for this machine. I figured something had to be not playing nice when disabling the GPUs in Device Manager made the display go nuts. Disabling the GPUs now doesn't cause any problems.

But, the screen is still going black and the machine reboots now instead of it just going black with an extreme overclock. Something might be getting too hot on the GPUs without AC (other than the core) so I will try that on AC later on to see if it solves the problem with the black screen and reboot. I'm still going to remove the drivers with DDU and reinstall, because there's no telling what kind of shenanigans NVIDIA's driver hooks into the vBIOS might be doing with the previous vBIOS.

- - - Updated - - -

So you already have Marcos vbios on your cards? As I said it seems his vbios works best on FS and Mark 11 and Premas works great on Vantage.
I just flashed it, right when I posted the comments you replied to. I had not used it before now.

make sure to sign this petition for re-enabling overclocking on mobile Nvidia GPUs! otherwise threads like these will become obsolete...

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

thx to brother iata for opening up the petition!

it would also be great if you could follow up on this link and take part in MySn´s survey concerning GPU overclocking in notebooks:

https://de.surveymonkey.com/s/SXRL6SQ

This could really make a difference if vendors like MySn lean on Clevo to in turn put pressure on Nvidia for unlocking overclockability again!

• Thumbs Up 2

make sure to sign this petition for re-enabling overclocking on mobile Nvidia GPUs! otherwise threads like these will become obsolete...

https://www.change.org/p/nvidia-re-...geforce-equipped-notebooks?recruiter=20925400

thx to brother iata for opening up the petition!

it would also be great if you could follow up on this link and take part in MySn´s survey concerning GPU overclocking in notebooks:

https://de.surveymonkey.com/s/SXRL6SQ

This could really make a difference if vendors like MySn lean on Clevo to in turn put pressure on Nvidia for unlocking overclockability again!

NVidia have lost the plot with blocking overclocking, completely unacceptable! I've signed the petition!

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice run Brother! Are you still on svl7s vbios? Have you tried to increase your core clock to 1450 or higher?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice run Brother! Are you still on svl7s vbios? Have you tried to increase your core clock to 1450 or higher?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Nice run Brother! Are you still on svl7s vbios? Have you tried to increase your core clock to 1450 or higher?

I get a black screen every time I try. I don't know if it is drivers, or just gimped 980M modules, something getting too hot on the GPUs or what. Doesn't matter how much or how little voltage I use, single or SLI, AC cooling or just fans, always the same problem. I have tried several different vBIOS as well. Had the same problem with these GPUs in my M18xR2, so it's probably the video cards. Might be the reason NVIDIA is trying to hide something with their clock blocking drivers. I don't have a valid reason to RMA them since they work perfectly except for extreme overclocking efforts. ASIC scores are above 70% on both cards. If I had to guess, maybe something to do with the missing VRMs on the top edge of the card. Probably would not happen if they had populated all of the available connections.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, check this out. It's called iDisplay and you can grab it from the Google Play store. You can use this to access your Android or iOS phone or tablet as a wireless (or USB) display and drag HWiNFO64 to it to monitor stuff while gaming or benching, LOL. It works just like a Windows desktop extended display to a second wired monitor.

Hey guys, check this out. It's called iDisplay and you can grab it from the Google Play store. You can use this to access your Android or iOS phone or tablet as a wireless (or USB) display and drag HWiNFO64 to it to monitor stuff while gaming or benching, LOL. It works just like a Windows desktop extended display to a second wired monitor.

That app has some really bad reviews on the Play Store, especially with Windows 8.1 and the developer has apparently been quiet since December. Lots of people saying "should have read the reviews, doesn't work, lags, causes BSOD" and the like.