Clevo Metabox P570WM monster laptop

Clevorr

The P570WM. Gonna build up one of these monsters. Will have the i7 3930k hex, 16gb Quad channel memory and dual 680m,s. Does anyone have one at all yet ? Looks like they have a very basic bios and i am wondering if anyone has enabled any type of force fan speed control ??? Cooling design is based on the x7200 which had great cooling and the laptop is now raised by huge rubber feet which is a plus and have all 4 fan grill holes open unlike in the past. Seems like Clevo actually learn when making new products.. Anyone know anything ?

:bananajump:

The P570WM. Gonna build up one of these monsters. Will have the i7 3930k hex, 16gb Quad channel memory and dual 680m,s. Does anyone have one at all yet ? Looks like they have a very basic bios and i am wondering if anyone has enabled any type of force fan speed control ??? Cooling design is based on the x7200 which had great cooling and the laptop is now raised by huge rubber feet which is a plus and have all 4 fan grill holes open unlike in the past. Seems like Clevo actually learn when making new products.. Anyone know anything ?

:bananajump:

It only has a 300W PSU, which is severely underpowered for that system. Even a 330W M18x PSU (the strongest I am aware of) will also likely be too little so you likely should do a dual PSU mod to overclock that thing significantly. Getting a system like that and NOT overclocking it a ton to me is just insane.

Lol that laptop is like 3 inches thick BTW. It better have good cooling.

Update: It looks like there is actually an adapter made for this system to use 2 PSUs, and the PSUs are now 330W.

Yeah i have had lots of experience with these "desktop replacement" machines but when it comes to bios mods and custom progs i am a bit lost. I had a X7200 a long time ago and i loved that machine. Only issue it had was No back lit keyboard which they have now included. And as for power, i am already ahead in that and have sorted it out ready for the beast. Clevo now use the same 330w Power brick that Alienware use and i have 2 of them in Parallel. lol This is what i am powering it with! ;)

Here:

10h7khs.jpg

It only has a 300W PSU, which is severely underpowered for that system. Even a 330W M18x PSU (the strongest I am aware of) will also likely be too little so you likely should do a dual PSU mod to overclock that thing significantly. Getting a system like that and NOT overclocking it a ton to me is just insane.

Lol that laptop is like 3 inches thick BTW. It better have good cooling.

Update: It looks like there is actually an adapter made for this system to use 2 PSUs, and the PSUs are now 330W.

Haha, Yeah i have it already so power is not an issue. Just need someone that knows or can do a mod or anything to force fan speed to 100% like you could actually do with the x7200. If going by recent Clevo temp / fan speed threshhold workings is the same on this laptop as has been on all there latest machines (LAZY) then force 100% fan speed is gonna be absolutely needed!! Im sure there would be something on Notebook review site but i am not a member there. Maybe one of the Pros here could help ?? @Prema

Haha, Yeah i have it already so power is not an issue. Just need someone that knows or can do a mod or anything to force fan speed to 100% like you could actually do with the x7200. If going by recent Clevo temp / fan speed threshhold workings is the same on this laptop as has been on all there latest machines (LAZY) then force 100% fan speed is gonna be absolutely needed!! Im sure there would be something on Notebook review site but i am not a member there. Maybe one of the Pros here could help ?? @Prema

Yes clevos fan profiles are poor. The GPU fan does not run high speed until 90C, which is the same as the throttle temp. The CPU does not run full speed until 90C as well, but at least it has 10C left of throttle room. The main problem I have with the fan profiles is that the fan speed lags, and it's possible to skip over trip points if the CPU heats up fast enough. There's no reason why clevo can't make the fan speeds ramp up smoothly so that there are no audible fan speed changes like some laptops do. I suspect Prema can get the Fn-9 shortcut for full speed to work for your system though.

I just looked up some stuff on that laptop and apparently the GPU cooling is very good, so you should be able to run high voltage BIOS's. In regards to CPU, a 3970x was overheating a little, but I suspect a 3930k will be fine. A problem with overclocking clevos is that since there are no BIOS overclocking options (same with the P570 for some heinous reason), there is no proper CPU voltage control, so the VID will ramp up stupidly high. Ex for me my CPU will run 1.351V at only 3.4GHz, which is fine for 4.35GHz. I'd love to knock .05V off my CPU voltage and run say 4.1GHz to keep power draw and heat in check, but clevo doesn't let me do that because their BIOS sucks. For your CPU you would likely want to drop the voltage slightly then overclock a little from there or else you'll be overheating, but the auto voltage control will ramp up the voltage if you want to or not.

There is no excuse for not being able to set fixed voltages on such a high end system.

I can't really see how you can improve the CPU cooling much. IHS removal won't be very helpful since the IHS is needed to spread heat to all 5+ heatpipes. Perhaps clevo bent up the heatsink plate where it touches the CPU like they do on all P170/P150s and you can get 10-20C by lapping it, but I doubt clevo messed that up on the P570 since I feel that mistake would make a 130W CPU impossible to cool. Even if they didn't though lapping the IHS and heatsink should get you a few degrees improvement.

I saw the CPU MOSFETs on a picture with the back open and I counted 24, with possibly more on the back. My P150EM has 9 total and they're good for ~80W sustained, so I think your only concern is cooling.

Looks like a fun system to play around with. Hopefully clevo's idiotic BIOS limitations will not be an issue.

Yes clevos fan profiles are poor. The GPU fan does not run high speed until 90C, which is the same as the throttle temp. The CPU does not run full speed until 90C as well, but at least it has 10C left of throttle room. The main problem I have with the fan profiles is that the fan speed lags, and it's possible to skip over trip points if the CPU heats up fast enough. There's no reason why clevo can't make the fan speeds ramp up smoothly so that there are no audible fan speed changes like some laptops do. I suspect Prema can get the Fn-9 shortcut for full speed to work for your system though.

I just looked up some stuff on that laptop and apparently the GPU cooling is very good, so you should be able to run high voltage BIOS's. In regards to CPU, a 3970x was overheating a little, but I suspect a 3930k will be fine. A problem with overclocking clevos is that since there are no BIOS overclocking options (same with the P570 for some heinous reason), there is no proper CPU voltage control, so the VID will ramp up stupidly high. Ex for me my CPU will run 1.351V at only 3.4GHz, which is fine for 4.35GHz. I'd love to knock .05V off my CPU voltage and run say 4.1GHz to keep power draw and heat in check, but clevo doesn't let me do that because their BIOS sucks. For your CPU you would likely want to drop the voltage slightly then overclock a little from there or else you'll be overheating, but the auto voltage control will ramp up the voltage if you want to or not.

There is no excuse for not being able to set fixed voltages on such a high end system.

I can't really see how you can improve the CPU cooling much. IHS removal won't be very helpful since the IHS is needed to spread heat to all 5+ heatpipes. Perhaps clevo bent up the heatsink plate where it touches the CPU like they do on all P170/P150s and you can get 10-20C by lapping it, but I doubt clevo messed that up on the P570 since I feel that mistake would make a 130W CPU impossible to cool. Even if they didn't though lapping the IHS and heatsink should get you a few degrees improvement.

I saw the CPU MOSFETs on a picture with the back open and I counted 24, with possibly more on the back. My P150EM has 9 total and they're good for ~80W sustained, so I think your only concern is cooling.

Looks like a fun system to play around with. Hopefully clevo's idiotic BIOS limitations will not be an issue.

Yeah i hear you, on my old P370EM the fans never reached 100% even at 90 degrees as they are so lazy and low power and noise levels were too much of a concern for Clevo i think in recent times. Also, yes clevo really needs to step up in the bios department. I can use intel XTU to overclock and tweak as it has voltage control under "additional turbo voltage" etc..

Yeah the 3970x is a failure in this laptop because although the massive P570wm copper heatsink plate for the CPU is very large and good, it is rated for around 130w max and the 3970x is a 150w chip and has a lower TJmax which is a no go! Have seen some results where the GPU,s run very cool due to the fans and sinks being directly over the GPU itself (same design as the X7200) and the 3930k was fairly good also and only hitting 1.2v untouched so i should have a decent amount of room to OC but i will need fan control if i am to push it. Im sure someone out there will be able to make that a function!!

Will see how it goes once iv got it up and running.. ;)

3930K is a monster heat producer when overclocked, I have one in my watercooled system. :)

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't even realise the 3970 had a higher TDP! :62:

Either way, if you're shooting for 4.5+ it's going to get VERY hot.

EDIT2: On an unrelated note, I wish Clevo used the Alienware type connector to the laptop, I'm always slightly worried I'll snap the little pins of or butcher the holes they slot into.

3930K is a monster heat producer when overclocked, I have one in my watercooled system. :)

EDIT: Ignore me, I didn't even realise the 3970 had a higher TDP! :62:

Either way, if you're shooting for 4.5+ it's going to get VERY hot.

EDIT2: On an unrelated note, I wish Clevo used the Alienware type connector to the laptop, I'm always slightly worried I'll snap the little pins of or butcher the holes they slot into.

hahaha, Yeah i know, iv got 3 3930k,s and run one of them which is a costa rica chip at 5.2ghz under phase change cooling. There is no need to go over 4.5ghz on a laptop with that chip, will go to somewhere more like 4.2-4.5ghz id say and running the memory in Quad channel with a nice low timing will be very nice indeed! Will see how it goes anyways, either way its gonna be a machine with mega grunt! lol

Clevorr I thought you had an M18x?

Sent from my GT-N7000

Yeah i had a Clevo P370em but the cooling capacity and design wasn't up to scratch in my opinion and mind so i sold it and got the M18x with same specs which was much better in cooling capacity area. But my favourite was always the old X7200 and i seen the P570WM which is the same thing but improved and newer specs obviously so decided to go that route and still get to see the M18x at the same time.. My brother kept nagging at me constantly about wanting the M18x so i sold it to him for family rates cost! He lives with me atm so i still see it. Hahaha

• Thumbs Up 1

I know a few guys up there now, do you get to GGF LAN at all?

Have been to one when they held a BF3 comp here but never really entered. Few mates including myself are on OCAU forum been to lans and 3dmark comps. Bit busy lately to do anything like that though so kinda out of the scene a little.

EDIT: I think you are right Prema, FN+1 = Auto and 100% fan speed toggle.. Will try when it arrives and if so that will sort out most of my issues tbh! ;)

I really wanted to get this monster, but settled for a used 9280 and upgraded the cpu/gpu to a 980x and 680m.... Barely fits as is into my messenger bag case with a zalman cooler.

Wasn't it delayed for 6months for a cooling system redesign back in the summer/fall?

It's all up and running and its confirmed that Fn+1 DOES fan control for either full or auto! WD Metabox. This is great news as i should be able to start testing this beast with stock bios but first i am going to put all my games on. lol Hot room as you can see in the pic and not using A/C for now so i will see how it runs in the warm weather.

Still have the plastic stuck on the top that is why it is so shiny, i am going to put 3M carbon wrap over the brushed aluminum palm rest as it fades and goes dull after a while of use.

2wdr29y.jpg2gu06yt.jpg

Large round rubber feet raise the laptop off the desk lots which in tern helps a great deal!

dwxstf.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

So how are temps? Can you overclock it with XTU?

Yeah pretty damn good. Did a base Stock default run of 3dmark11 and CPU never even went over 60 degrees (100% fan speed on) And GPU,s 60-65 degrees C and 29.1 degrees C room ambient temp. Mind you its stock and 3dmark11 states it was only 3.2ghz. Big jump in physics score as i expected due to ram running in Quad channel. There is a huge difference running in Dual and quad channel as i just tested it. CPU score was 10,780 dead stock untouched at only 3.2ghz and ram @ 1600mhz CL11 and to get the same score on a mobile CPU 3940XM it had to be at around 4.4ghz so i think im liking this according to what it is doing dead stock. Seems to have a lot more potential but will see soon enough after more playing around!! And Yes i can OC with XTU but haven't yet obviously. ;)

Here are the temps after that benchmark: remember the room temp is 29.1 degrees C lol Max temps are what it reached in 3dmark11 with fans 100%. The idle temp you see there are with Fans back on Auto. On average with this Ambient it idles at mid to high 40,s.

2hxx3j8.jpg

Yeah pretty damn good. Did a base Stock default run of 3dmark11 and CPU never even went over 60 degrees (100% fan speed on) And GPU,s 60-65 degrees C and 29.1 degrees C room ambient temp. Mind you its stock and 3dmark11 states it was only 3.2ghz. Big jump in physics score as i expected due to ram running in Quad channel. There is a huge difference running in Dual and quad channel as i just tested it. CPU score was 10,780 dead stock untouched at only 3.2ghz and ram @ 1600mhz CL11 and to get the same score on a mobile CPU 3940XM it had to be at around 4.4ghz so i think im liking this according to what it is doing dead stock. Seems to have a lot more potential but will see soon enough after more playing around!!

Here are the temps after that benchmark: remember the room temp is 29.1 degrees C lol Max temps are what it reached in 3dmark11 with fans 100%. The idle temp you see there are with Fans back on Auto. On average with this Ambient it idles at mid to high 40,s.

2hxx3j8.jpg

Those are great temps for that room temperature. I'm just worried that XTU won't work so you'll need to use AMIBCP to overclock, which is a PITA.

Those a great temps for that room temperature. I'm just worried that XTU won't work so you'll need to use AMIBCP to overclock, which is a PITA.

Confirmed, XTU does work. To what point i don't know just yet. ;)

Congratulates the choice. This is the perfect hardware with much bigger potential than the M18x. I was going to buy it a long time ago but I think I'll wait for the new nVidia cards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Congratulates the choice. This is the perfect hardware with much bigger potential than the M18x. I was going to buy it a long time ago but I think I'll wait for the new nVidia cards.

Hey thanks! Yeah i am pretty happy with it and so one must be for how much it costs! lol Its just a monster with a Ton of potential, im glad i got it. Will post up more as i test and play around with it further. ;)

*Damn, this thing runs sooo Cool. Great cooling design on this monster for sure!! Playing games now at Ambient room temp of 23 degrees C now running the 1050v OV bios the 680M,s don't go above 74 degrees. And CPU doesn't even go above 60 degrees C. WOW! Gaming @ 980mhz / 2100mhz and killing every game.

Just had a bit of play and bench test before bed and this thing runs so cool its amazing! Very happy with it and heaps more power to unleash. GTX 680m,s overclocked.. CPU and Memory are stock untouched settings. More to come. :eagerness:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,Notebook P570WM score: P14132 3DMarks

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3930K Processor,Notebook P570WM score: P14177 3DMarks

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey thanks! Yeah i am pretty happy with it and so one must be for how much it costs! lol Its just a monster with a Ton of potential, im glad i got it. Will post up more as i test and play around with it further. ;)

*Damn, this thing runs sooo Cool. Great cooling design on this monster for sure!! Playing games now at Ambient room temp of 23 degrees C now running the 1050v OV bios the 680M,s don't go above 74 degrees. And CPU doesn't even go above 60 degrees C. WOW! Gaming @ 980mhz / 2100mhz and killing every game.

Are those temps with the fans forced high?

Great CPU temps but it makes sense if you think about it. Games have a hard time using 4 cores let alone 6, so it's like you're running a regular mobile quad core but the cooling is overkill. What does prime95 and the like look like?

Looking at P570 cooling gave me an idea for something that I think will work on a P150. Move the fans back and put in an extra radiator. Buy extra GPU cooler and add the core radiator to the CPU side and memory/VRM radiator to GPU side. That HAS to make a difference assuming I don't mess up.