Dell 7970m in Msi Gx660

lordvader111

Hi everybody;

I've bought a Dell 7970m for my Gx660 but unfortunately the card has a newer vbios :015.022

When i put it in my laptop,it doesnt boot.blank screen as usual but system starts but no hdd as fan spins only.

Is it because exceeding the max TDP of system or non working vbios?

i7 920XM

150W adapter

helps appreciated and thanks.

• 1 month later...
I am sending the video link...

Any ideas??

I got the same problem. After trying vbios to get hdmi audio fix and boot anymore. When turns on the notebook the screen stays black and can work on it. The usb won't ready. The only thing that is working is the fan and the "sleep" light is on. I really need a help, cause I use this notebook to work.

Thx.

I got the same problem. After trying vbios to get hdmi audio fix and boot anymore. When turns on the notebook the screen stays black and can work on it. The usb won't ready. The only thing that is working is the fan and the "sleep" light is on. I really need a help, cause I use this notebook to work.

Thx.

I can't remember which vbios version works in the MSI system, but are you sure that your system won't POST anymore? I flashed all the vbios on my 7970m and my M15x always POSTed even though sometimes the screen stayed black.

Did you set USB as first boot priority? If not it isn't unusual that you don't notice any USB activity.

In case you can't blind flash it back I can sell you a vbios chip and you would need to do some soldering, or you could send the card to me for repair.

I can't remember which vbios version works in the MSI system, but are you sure that your system won't POST anymore? I flashed all the vbios on my 7970m and my M15x always POSTed even though sometimes the screen stayed black.

Did you set USB as first boot priority? If not it isn't unusual that you don't notice any USB activity.

In case you can't blind flash it back I can sell you a vbios chip and you would need to do some soldering, or you could send the card to me for repair.

I have a 7970m .22 vbios working on my gt683. And the card has uefi.

I just had to change one setting in the bios. One that lets you choose the priority between efi-compatible and legacy rom.

I use xonar's unlocked bios, and it is in advanced, then the first option in the menu, and then is the first setting. You just have to change from "efi-compatible" to "legacy rom". If you have the option.

• 1 month later...

Is not efi-compatible the uefi one?

Thanks

I just had to change one setting in the bios. One that lets you choose the priority between efi-compatible and legacy rom.

I use xonar's unlocked bios, and it is in advanced, then the first option in the menu, and then is the first setting. You just have to change from "efi-compatible" to "legacy rom". If you have the option.

Sorry

I explained really bad in my previous post (I had lot of fever ).

For getting to work a Dell 7970m card with .022 vBios (uefi) we should boot in the unlocked bios from efi-compatible (not legacy)? Was the quoted post below wrong?

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry if i misunderstood (English is not my mother language)

So to make the 7970M works, you need to set "PCI ROM Priority" option to "Legacy ROM"(instead of "EFI Compatible") ?

Because I remember if NBR some people mention about UEFI BOOT thing set to available to make 7970M works (the UEFI BOOT will appear in BOOT OPTION)

The "Legacy ROM" doesn't have the UEFI BOOT appear in BOOT OPTION

I'm just curious which one is the right option.

EDIT : ah nevermind.

I understand now.

Cheers!

Fantastic,

Legacy ROM is the right bios option to boot a card with uefi vBios.

Can anybody explain why?

Thanks

I'm sorry if i misunderstood (English is not my mother language)

So to make the 7970M works, you need to set "PCI ROM Priority" option to "Legacy ROM"(instead of "EFI Compatible") ?

Because I remember if NBR some people mention about UEFI BOOT thing set to available to make 7970M works (the UEFI BOOT will appear in BOOT OPTION)

The "Legacy ROM" doesn't have the UEFI BOOT appear in BOOT OPTION

I'm just curious which one is the right option.

EDIT : ah nevermind.

I understand now.

Cheers!

Fantastic,

Legacy ROM is the right bios option to boot a card with uefi vBios.

Can anybody explain why?

Thanks

Maybe the 022 card has two different boot modes in the vbios? one for legacy and one for uefi, and if your bios prefers legacy, then the card will use its legacy mode. I have no idea if that's possible, but it's just a theory lol.

• 10 months later...

I ve got the same problem with black screen.

i bought an 7970m with .024 bios and set in unlocked bios legacy rom.

the sceen stays black, vga monitor says black. just hear the sound of starting windows after a few seconds...

any ideas to sovle this problem?

I ve got the same problem with black screen.

i bought an 7970m with .024 bios and set in unlocked bios legacy rom.

the sceen stays black, vga monitor says black. just hear the sound of starting windows after a few seconds...

any ideas to sovle this problem?

update: vga monitor gets a signal when windows is in login-screen... can i flash the gpu in windows?

search through forums here.

You dont need to flash anything. just go to bios and change efi-comaptible to Legacy ROM in PCI express settings. It's been mentioned at least 10 times.

No flashing needed on AMD 7970m what so ever,,, whole "non-enduro bios" thing is not necessary.

Yes, i searched here in forum for it... And yes: I changed this Option to Legacy ROM. And no, it didn't work.

Perhaps it's caused of the 024 Bios, i've only read about that it works with 022.

Yes, i searched here in forum for it... And yes: I changed this Option to Legacy ROM. And no, it didn't work.

Perhaps it's caused of the 024 Bios, i've only read about that it works with 022.

You sure its a DELL card ?

if you are getting signal to VGA, gou should be good.

You can try to flash vbios, but dont do it in windows.