M17x R2 no power

nemm

A friend of mine brought me this laptop earlier which all of a sudden would refuse to power on, no life at all. Prior to the no power problem the laptop wasn't charging the battery which was put down to a failing mosfet but of no real concern until this problem came about. After researching the issue to death he bought a replacement motherboard which he gave me to fit this morning, however the system wont power on still which has left me scratching my head.

So far I have done the following,

Tested the RAM and GPU in my R4, both fine, unable to test CPU.

Booting with only keyboard, power button and screen.

Only keyboard and power button.

Just power button.

Power, CPU, RAM and GFX,

Power, CPU, RAM, GFX and keyboard.

There is no life at all, so I began research of this new problem and found the board behind the button could be the culprit or CPU since I am unable to check. Surely there should be power if CPU faulty of missing though, desktops and other laptops I have worked on will all show signs power with components missing or is this not the case with the M17x R2? Is there anyway to trigger the boot up without the power button?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There is a little hole under the power button (you'll have to remove the power button assembly), Its a rectangular hole, if you take something plastic and feel for a little bump then press it, it should turn on. (don't worry about damaging anything there is that black protective plastic tape over it) I've used this many times when working on my R2.

I'll take some pictures and show you what I mean, @Heatshiver when you remove the power button assembly this is what you'll see, I've circled the rectangular hole im talking about. It is a button attached right to the mobo. Also I replied to you're other post on NBR forums with the same picture and options.

post-12204-14494994953329_thumb.jpg

I passed the information onto my friend to which he tried with no success, no sign of life at all. Would you say that the new motherboard is faulty also or could it be the CPU since that is the only thing I cant test in another machine?

• 4 weeks later...

Your right, when you tested the MOBO, keyboard and power it should at least power on, I don't know though if it wouldn't if there was no CPU (I never tried). As suggested your power strip maybe in itself faulty, my own with the little retention clip failed and now won't power on physically via button - wait then how am I powering it on you ask? R2 has IR in it, and used a HP media remote control to power it on, as it mainly sits on a shelf above my 23" 120HZ monitor (mainly turned my lappy into a 'box').

Replacing the whole motherboard to begin with was a extreme step, but further this means you have two different MOBOs having the same issue, so the best answer is to buy and replace the power strip itself. Now if this doesn't solve it then I would go back to the first MOBO and try with that one. If that still doesn't work then I would sell the parts because something else is the culprit here OR the processes being followed to do all this 'repairing' isn't being followed correctly and only a third party service could help resolve it then. Personally I am suspicious of where he got the 'new' MOBO with CPU, as they aren't made / supported so it may been 'used' and 'faulty' before he got his hands on it.

Just my two cents.