Pictures of disassembled Y500 Ultrabay GPU

octiceps

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. Have you tried one of @svl7 modded vbios for overclocking? I think he might have a GT 650M one.

Yeah he's got one for the most recent BIOS revision on the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500. We're still trying to figure out how to get the vBIOS on the second GPU to flash so that overclocking in SLI works. That was the reason I took apart my GPU and shot these photos in the first place.

post-80-14494994943254_thumb.jpg

Nice work! Cool to see this thing+ :D

Seems like my assumption was correct, I guess the part I marked holds the vbios, can you tell me the number just to be sure?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your PM.

I am curious if they can offer upgraded graphics cards for the ultrabay in the future and use that card as the primary and disable the internal 650m. I'd love to drop a GTX 680M in mine.

Not a chance. Do you see the size and shape of the PCB on that thing? And it's not even using MXM. It's impossible to disable the internal GPU as well.

Not a chance. Do you see the size and shape of the PCB on that thing? And it's not even using MXM. It's impossible to disable the internal GPU as well.

It *might* be possible to use a 750M provided they don't make major changes to the body design of the Ultrabay in the latest Y500. It is possible to use one GPU from the Nvidia Control panel (i.e. install a theoretical 750M then switch to it as the primary GPU for games) that being said, a 750M may not have the performance of a SLI 650M set-up. It will most likely be around a 660M's performance.

Damn small card... Hmm i have a problem with my y500 that rly dosent bother me that mutch but it may lower the second hand value! My ultrabay is stuck i have followed all the instructions on how to remove it but still its not moving. Someone have experienced the same issue ?

It *might* be possible to use a 750M provided they don't make major changes to the body design of the Ultrabay in the latest Y500. It is possible to use one GPU from the Nvidia Control panel (i.e. install a theoretical 750M then switch to it as the primary GPU for games) that being said, a 750M may not have the performance of a SLI 650M set-up. It will most likely be around a 660M's performance.

No there is no any design changes of new ultrabay..and definitely dont have the speeds of 650m sli...and Do you think gt660m is faster than gt750m

No its not..gt 750m is revised and tweaked version of gt660 so u can expect more power than gt660 in some sites people states that gt750m with faster gddr5 memory is on par with gt 670m..

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to a freind so this may not be reliable but he said that SATA and pcie were pretty close to the samething he said that it would not take very much to change the two.

And to William, have you seen the price of the 650M ultra bay I bought mine with 2 but looked at getting one there like $300+ so I could only guess at what a 680M would cost.

Damn small card... Hmm i have a problem with my y500 that rly dosent bother me that mutch but it may lower the second hand value! My ultrabay is stuck i have followed all the instructions on how to remove it but still its not moving. Someone have experienced the same issue ?

There is a tiny little lock tab under the battery bay that you have to unlock before you use the little slider and pull it out....took me a minute to find it as well.