[Solved] 5 beeps on startup after tweaking some options on Unlocked A11 BIOS

Hi,

I have an Alienware m17x R4 and decided to upgrade the BIOS to A11 with this thread. After this, I tweaked some options on the unlocked BIOS setup and after reboot, got sequences of 5 beeps with a black screen. Searched on google about how to fix that, tried some blind flash methods and no success. So, I went to dell website and found this:

5 Beeps after turning ON the Alienware Laptop system
Article Summary: This article will guide you to make quick Bios recover by pressing a key combination when turning ON the system.
Note: Please bookmark this article as restarts of the computer are recommended during the process to help resolve issues.
Table of Contents:

• Applies for:

• Problem

• Discussion

4. Solution
Applies for:

Alienware M11x R3 Alienware M14x R1/R2 Alienware M17x R3/R4 Alienware M18x R1/R2

Problem

Some laptops after turning "ON" makes 5 Beeps and also did not POST.

Note: POST refers to POWER ON SELF-TEST and is a set of routines that verifies the functionality of each internal component on the computer. If a computer is not posting, one of the issue it may experience is a no video, beeps, computer freezes at the BIOS screen, or any other behavior that didn't allow the computer to start loading the Operating System.

Discussion

Several things can affect a system for not to complete a POST. In this case, static electricity or BIOS outdated can cause this behavior.

Solution

To fix the issue and have your system working again, please perform the following steps:

• Remove the system battery.

• Remove the Ac/adapter.

• Hold the power button for 30 seconds without any power source.

• Plug back the Ac/adapter only.

• Hold the “FN” key and without releasing the key, Power "ON" the computer.

• After step 5, you will notice the system will try to turn "ON" and after 5 seconds will restart, at this point you can release the “FN” key.

• The computer will POST and starts loading Windows.

• Shutdown your computer and plug back the system Battery.

• Download the latest BIOS version for your Alienware System and run it.

Note: For How to run a BIOS update, please refer to the following Article: How to run a BIOS update on an Alienware Computer?

• Turn OFF your computer after the Bios update and test your computer.

Thank you for your inquiry, The Alienware Support Team

After doing this, everything was working fine again =), so decided to post it here.

Thank you!
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, just to add to this... I had exactly the same problem and tried the cmos wipe method (which I came across first) a bunch of times to no avail. This method worked the second attempt. But when it worked the pc just kept beeping, didn't restart, and next time I turned it on it was all sweet... so if this method doesn't work, keep trying with slight variations until it does!

Edit: changed a setting amd it's beeping at me again. Guide above not working tjis time... either beeps 5 or 8 yimes.

I'll post my solution if I can get this working again. Amazed that this thing doesnt auto reset cmos on boot failure :s

Edit edit: further to this I got it working, but had to remove the cmos, and battery etc, hold power 45 secs, put all bk together except battery then power on whilst holding fn. This gave me 5 beeps... so I turned off and on again and it was all good... fun!

I'm trying to disable the intel graphics fyi.

• 3 years later...

Saw this while searching everywhere for a solution.  I get 5 beeps, then 5 more, then 5 more all in succession to each other.  The only way to get it to stop is to power down the system with the power button being held till it shuts down.  When the system was rebooted, no more beeps but also still no access to Windows UEFI booted SSD in safe mode, disable driver verification or just normal mode.  I wonder if I can create a tune for the 5-5-5-5, lets see Reinstall We Ruined Install Dell, repeat Reinstall We Ruined Install Dell.  5 words only.  No offense meant to any Dell rep. or employee or friend of, just right now Dell is not sitting highly in my book because of what has happened.