[Guide] M15x with AMD 6970m / 6990m - everything you need to know

svl7

Yeah, exactly. Well, I have a 7.5 for the CPU atm, but you have to know that WEI is not that accurate at all. If you really want to see whether your CPU is performing correctly, you can download wPrime v1.55 and run a 32M thread on 8 theads (go to advanced settings for this) and let me know the time it took to complete.

7.7 in Wei for the 2920xm stock, 7.8 if you run it 4.5ghz without dropping during 8thread CPU test in Wei. Wei doesn't push the CPU enough so it's not as accurate as most of the benches we mention... butt is based on linx a variation of another stress test... Its just a lower load on the CPU and only runs maybe 10seconds or something... Once a CPU has had to calculate a heavy load awhile shows what it can maintain truly better so Wprime is a good test to do so. WEI is accurate to some degree but it places CPUs very close in score to CPUs which are obviously more powerful... We see this in cases of comparing certain desktop chips to mobiles... 95-135watt tdo chips will have the vantage over low watt to 55watt max in the mobile realm... Yet score very close to their desktop counterparts that's why no one uses WEI. Maybe you need to raise the CPU percent min and max to 100 in power options in windows... Speedstep still drops CPU down when no CPU load but it won't turbo boost or use max multipliers as much unless you set the CPU to 100%.

• 7 months later...

Hey all. New to the forums, because I found the post/forum to be the most helpful on the web but I haven't ran into anyone experiencing the same problem I've been having. I just installed a 6990m on my M15x and I am getting only a white screen on my LCD, however my external monitor works just fine. Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated as I've been trying to get this working for days now without much luck.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome to T|I!

What kind of 6990m did you install? Dell? Clevo? ...? Also which vbios are you using? Can you post a GPU-Z screenshot?

Are you using the latest BIOS (A09)?

It is a Dell card - part number is 747M2. I am using the (AO9) BIOS, to my knowledge the vbios have not been changed however I am the second owner of this laptop. Last night I installed the 11.5a modded drivers using the external monitor to see what I was doing and when the computer restarted it froze at the windows loading screen. I made sure to use driver sweeper to delete all drivers and I tried to reinstall but I got the same result, it froze at the loading screen. I tried re-seating the card 3 times and each time the screen was white on my laptop. When I put my 240m back in my laptop, the laptop booted up fine... This is the second card in 2 weeks i've tried (the first was a 6970m which also was a dell card - with this card the computer would not post and caps and scroll would flash with a solid numluck).

Are the vbios within the motherboard? or the GPU itself? Is it possible that the previous owner flashed the vbios which is now causing me problems?

Thanks for your help!!

Are the vbios within the motherboard? or the GPU itself? Is it possible that the previous owner flashed the vbios which is now causing me problems?

The vbios is on the GPU, it's possible that you don't have the original one on it. The system freeze at the loading screen indicates that the driver crashes when it gets loaded.

I'd recommend dumping the vbios to see whether everything is okay or not, you do it per DOS using atiflash so it won't crash.

Then I'd say try reinstalling the drivers again, boot into safe mode, uninstall the drivers (don't use driver sweeper etc, just uninstall per control panel - 'remove all AMD software'), reboot and the reinstall a newer driver version.

do you think the vbios / driver crashing is also causing the constant white screen on my laptop when using the 6990m? i have to use an external monitor to see whats going on. when i use my 240m card the laptop monitor works fine.

Update - After installing these drivers - (http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/1...dd_ccc_ocl.exe) I can now load into windows and the drivers seem to be working fine however the screen is still white on mylaptop. In catalyst control center it identifies that there are two displays but the laptop display shows as "unknown". I know if I connect my 240m right now my laptop display would once again start working...

I'm starting to think that something's wrong with your card... I can't really explain it differently, unless I missed something. I had several 6970m and 6990m in my system and never had this issue... Do you know anyone with an MXM 3.0 compatible system so you could test the card and see whether it works fine?

is it possible that the voltage regulator on my mobo was the cause for the 6970, 6990, and 7970m all giving me a white screen unless i plugged in an external monitor? i had a local alienware buff take a look at my laptop and he was able to get the 7970m working by "replacing my m15x voltage regulator with one from an m18x". he charged me basically for the cost of a new mobo for the repair. is he trying to rip me off?

- - - Updated - - -

is it possible that the voltage regulator on my mobo was the cause for the 6970, 6990, and 7970m all giving me a white screen unless i plugged in an external monitor? i had a local alienware buff take a look at my laptop and he was able to get the 7970m working by "replacing my m15x voltage regulator with one from an m18x". he charged me basically for the cost of a new mobo for the repair. is he trying to rip me off?

no i did not. i just sent him a message asking him to send me a picture of my old regulator. im thinking about opening up the laptop when i get home to see if i can verify what he did. the good news is that he hasnt yet been fully paid for his work and i have the working laptop at home.

Well, to be fair - if he really replaced some components on the board he had to completely disassemble the system, which is time consuming after all. So this adds to the price... but it should still be cheaper than a mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

I experienced the same problems when I switched from my 260m to the 7970m. I didn't delete the drivers propperly and as soon as I switched on the laptop the screen went white. So I had to swap the cards again, erased the drivers thoroughly and swapped the cards again. After that everything was fine.

Hi, I'm triying to upgrade my m15x and didn't have any luck with the 6970m, could you tell me where did you bought the 7970? thanks

http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/SP/HD7970.html or on ebay ;)

• 1 month later...