DIY eGPU not for amateurs?

davide445

Yes now it's absolutely clear. If you haven't other suggestion for cheap but good commercial PSU I now know exactly what to buy, thanks your all!

Again, what online shop are you looking at for the PSU? We could peruse their site and come up with some PSU alternatives for lower prices.

Just my 2 cents on the GPU:

If you are not planning on getting any sort of mid-range or better GPU, you could really get away with just getting something like an Nvidia GT, instead of a GTX.

Since you will be using it strictly for "industrial" use (I use this term when people use a GPU for stuff like rendering and programming), you can get by with a GT 620/630/640. A friend of mine does similar stuff (he's worked for Activision, EA, Radical), and he's currently doing all his work on a laptop's GT650M. He only does heavy duty work on his desktop, most other things he gets away with on his laptop.

As an idea of cost savings going with a GT rather than a GTX, GT630 (2GB GDDR3) = $75 vs GTX 660 (1GB GDDR5)= $250. You'll certainly get much better performance from the GTX 660, but you'll also save almost $200 by getting a GT instead of a GTX.

Again, what online shop are you looking at for the PSU? We could peruse their site and come up with some PSU alternatives for lower prices.

Just my 2 cents on the GPU:

If you are not planning on getting any sort of mid-range or better GPU, you could really get away with just getting something like an Nvidia GT, instead of a GTX.

Since you will be using it strictly for "industrial" use (I use this term when people use a GPU for stuff like rendering and programming), you can get by with a GT 620/630/640. A friend of mine does similar stuff (he's worked for Activision, EA, Radical), and he's currently doing all his work on a laptop's GT650M. He only does heavy duty work on his desktop, most other things he gets away with on his laptop.

As an idea of cost savings going with a GT rather than a GTX, GT630 (2GB GDDR3) = $75 vs GTX 660 (1GB GDDR5)= $250. You'll certainly get much better performance from the GTX 660, but you'll also save almost $200 by getting a GT instead of a GTX.

Being in Italy I'm checking many aggregators, for single site I look mostly here E-Key

About the GPU I was considering also Radeon HD 7850 that is priced $40 below GTX 660, but I fear for compatibility, and configuration mess...

I don't know if are equivalent in term of feature, on Radeon I found a nice multimedia specs with video encoding and decoding that are not listed in Nvidia specs (but maybe I can't read the right things).

I really can't say exactly what kind of power I need, I simply find the 660 the cheapest with all latest a nvidia technologies...so that will be enough for many future uses.

Asking also on CryTech forum they suggested me GTX 650 or above.

If I didn't want to send the output to the laptop screen, I'd have bought a 7850 myself. IMHO it's by far the best performance for the money of any GPU. I got lucky with my 560ti448 as Amazon sold it at £127 at the time - but a 7850 still just about beats it.

- - - Updated - - -

Being in Italy I'm checking many aggregators, for single site I look mostly here E-Key

You should be good-to-go with the Corsair VS350, the BeQuiet! 350W or the Corsair CX430. Otherwise, I wouldn't go near anything else priced below the XFX 450W I already mentioned (and of those choices, I'd _still_ go with the XFX :))

edit - of course I'd actually go for the Seasonic S12-II 430, but reviews point to the XFX being a rebranded version of the same unit.

If I didn't want to send the output to the laptop screen, I'd have bought a 7850 myself. IMHO it's by far the best performance for the money of any GPU. I got lucky with my 560ti448 as Amazon sold it at £127 at the time - but a 7850 still just about beats it.

And 7870? It's still priced about $15 below 660 and appear to be more popular among CryEngine fans and also with better benchmarks.

But, really, will I have better performance? And about compatibility?

Also I found many brands such as (going up with price) Generique/VTX3D/Sapphire/XFX/Powercolor for 7870, VTX3D/XFX/HIS/Powercolor/Generique/Sapphire for 7850, Palit/PNY/MSI/Gigabyte/Gainward for 660.

Need I to care for one of these?

You should be good-to-go with the Corsair VS350, the BeQuiet! 350W or the Corsair CX430. Otherwise, I wouldn't go near anything else priced below the XFX 450W I already mentioned (and of those choices, I'd _still_ go with the XFX :))

edit - of course I'd actually go for the Seasonic S12-II 430, but reviews point to the XFX being a rebranded version of the same unit.

About these PSU all of them does have all the connections to power all the different things (GPU, adapter, etc?).

And 7870? It's still priced about $15 below 660 and appear to be more popular among CryEngine fans and also with better benchmarks.

Also I found many brands such as (going up with price) Generique/VTX3D/Sapphire/XFX/Powercolor for 7870, VTX3D/XFX/HIS/Powercolor/Generique/Sapphire for 7850, Palit/PNY/MSI/Gigabyte/Gainward for 660.

A HD7870 will outperform a GTX660 when using an external LCD exclusively.

REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-12-5-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 .

However, a HD7870 won't give you an internal LCD mode unless you start trying to hack LucidLogix Virtu. Getting a Virtu license will cost you another US$35. If you manage to get it going, it will perform 19% worse than NVidia Optimus. Once you add Virtu's cost you're in GTX660Ti territory. A GTX660Ti will outperform a HD7870+Virtu^$35 in internal and external LCD mode with better compatibility/reliability to boot.

REF #1: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870-th05-%40-x2-2-0-a.html#post42483

REF #2: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2967-lucidlogix-virtu-internal-lcd-mode-amd-egpus.html#post41056

As for compatibility, AMD cards require a contiguous 256MB of pci-e space. NVidia cards require 128MB+32MB+16MB, each being contiguous. The latter meaning it has a higher chance of being accomodated without needing Setup 1.x or a DSDT override. Now a Lenovo X220 with latest bios will have no problem with either.

Conclusion: if you only need external LCD mode then the HD7870 is a great buy. If wanting internal LCD mode then consider either a GTX560Ti, GTX660 or GTX660Ti depending on your budget. A GTX660Ti is a considerably better performer than a GTX660, worth the extra $$ imho.

...Now a Lenovo X220 with latest bios will have no problem with either.

Conclusion: if you only need external LCD mode then the HD7870 is a great buy. If wanting internal LCD mode then consider either a GTX560Ti, GTX660 or GTX660Ti depending on your budget. A GTX660Ti is a considerably better performer than a GTX660, worth the extra $$ imho.

And what about 3D video editing, rendering and display?

I want to use CryEngine and PowerDirector to create and edit 3D videos (coming also from other sources) and want also to connect my laptop to my 3D TV set for preview and display.

I was reading about Nvidia 3DVision and ATI HD3D, scrolling supported hw appear that Nvidia directly support my 3D TV ATI not, but .... need I to care? There are any specific reason for preferring Nvidia/ATI with 3D in mind as used in a eGPU setup?

About these PSU all of them does have all the connections to power all the different things (GPU, adapter, etc?).

Yes. They probably have only one PCIe power connector when some of the cards you're looking at need two, but the cards should come with convertor cable to work off some of the other connectors on the PSU

- - - Updated - - -

If other users of the software you're looking at say that a particular card is better, then that statement holds true when considering an egpu (assuming you don't care about driving the internal display), so a 7870 might be the best choice for you.

I wouldn't worry about brand unless you're planning on overclocking, but a 2GB card is good if the price is right.

And what about 3D video editing, rendering and display?

I want to use CryEngine and PowerDirector to create and edit 3D videos (coming also from other sources) and want also to connect my laptop to my 3D TV set for preview and display.

I was reading about Nvidia 3DVision and ATI HD3D, scrolling supported hw appear that Nvidia directly support my 3D TV ATI not, but .... need I to care? There are any specific reason for preferring Nvidia/ATI with 3D in mind as used in a eGPU setup?

For a long time, ATI (now AMD) used to have the best TV performance, but I'm not sure that's still the case. I expect they're very similar in TV capability (especially digital TV). This isa question best answered on CryEngine forums.

If other users of the software you're looking at say that a particular card is better, then that statement holds true when considering an egpu (assuming you don't care about driving the internal display), so a 7870 might be the best choice for you.

I wouldn't worry about brand unless you're planning on overclocking, but a 2GB card is good if the price is right.

I'm currently asking for advice on CryEngine and PowerDirector forum, will post the final results.

So far the situation it's pretty clear from the eGPU pow :)

Ps considering my "industrial" use of eGPU will make more sense to use Nvidia Quadro/ATI FirePro workstation video card.

But there are any DIY eGPU experience on that cards?

As I read in fact there are almost equivalent to GeForce/Radeon gaming-oriented cards with specific drivers, and the latter can be modded to enable into "gaming" brothers features reserved to "workstation" equivalent.

Interesting, but I think the later solution even if cost efficient (cost of gaming card, feature of professional workstation oriented) can be tricky in the already delicate eGPU equilibrium, what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping this thread (2 weeks isn't too bad, right?), but I'm about to set up an eGPU for my Lenovo x220T (i7-2620M, 8GB ram) also. The last thing I need to do is choose my graphics card. I've seen other people (on other sites) saying they've used a GTX 570 and it worked well, but it wasn't listed in this thread. This was the card I was looking at as the benchmarks seemed significantly higher the the 550/560/560Ti.

Is there a reason any of you did not suggest this card? I'm going to assume that it would be limited with an ExpressCard eGPU setup (I don't remember what its called, 1.1Opt or 1.2Opt due to sandy bridge processor). If this is the case, would it be limited to the point that the upgrade really isn't worth it over the 560Ti?

Thank you.

Sorry for bumping this thread (2 weeks isn't too bad, right?), but I'm about to set up an eGPU for my Lenovo x220T (i7-2620M, 8GB ram) also. The last thing I need to do is choose my graphics card. I've seen other people (on other sites) saying they've used a GTX 570 and it worked well, but it wasn't listed in this thread. This was the card I was looking at as the benchmarks seemed significantly higher the the 550/560/560Ti.

Is there a reason any of you did not suggest this card? I'm going to assume that it would be limited with an ExpressCard eGPU setup (I don't remember what its called, 1.1Opt or 1.2Opt due to sandy bridge processor). If this is the case, would it be limited to the point that the upgrade really isn't worth it over the 560Ti?

Thank you.

GTX 570 is great - the only issue is that you're into diminishing returns (i.e. you're paying a chunk more cash for the card and won't see all the benefit of that cash). A GTX570 as a eGPU is better than a 560ti (or 560ti448), just not as much better as it is in a desktop system. If you can get one for a good price, go for it.

That said - most of the 560/560ti/570 discussion comes from people doing this a while back. If the price it right, you should also consider 660/660ti which will work at least as well but with lower power requirements.

My own choice of a 560ti448 was driven by the fact I could get it new from Amazon for £128 (below $200). I couldn't make a 660 or 570 make sense with their prices at the time.

Check out Nando's main thread for 570 egpu benchmarks (including with an X220): http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html

• Thumbs Up 1

GTX 570 is great - the only issue is that you're into diminishing returns (i.e. you're paying a chunk more cash for the card and won't see all the benefit of that cash). A GTX570 as a eGPU is better than a 560ti (or 560ti448), just not as much better as it is in a desktop system. If you can get one for a good price, go for it.

That said - most of the 560/560ti/570 discussion comes from people doing this a while back. If the price it right, you should also consider 660/660ti which will work at least as well but with lower power requirements.

My own choice of a 560ti448 was driven by the fact I could get it new from Amazon for £128 (below $200). I couldn't make a 660 or 570 make sense with their prices at the time.

Check out Nando's main thread for 570 egpu benchmarks (including with an X220): http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html

Thanks for the quick response!

Prices I've found recently were 570 - $270-300, 660 - $200-220, and 660Ti - $300.

And the benchmarks AnandTech | Bench - GPU12, favor the 660 in most cases.

Sounds like I'll go with the 660 then. Just one last thing, the 660 is pci-express 3.0, while the 570 is 2.0. This shouldn't be a problem though, right? (PE4H kit that I bought is this PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4))

Thanks for the quick response!

Prices I've found recently were 570 - $270-300, 660 - $200-220, and 660Ti - $300.

And the benchmarks AnandTech | Bench - GPU12, favor the 660 in most cases.

Sounds like I'll go with the 660 then. Just one last thing, the 660 is pci-express 3.0, while the 570 is 2.0. This shouldn't be a problem though, right? (PE4H kit that I bought is this PE4H (PCIe passive adapter ver2.4))

You need a PE4L 2.1b to get pci-e 2.0 performance which your X220T is capable of. PE4H 2.4 is only pci-e 1.x capable.

• Thumbs Up 1

You need a PE4L 2.1b to get pci-e 2.0 performance which your X220T is capable of. PE4H 2.4 is only pci-e 1.x capable.

Oh wow! I completely misread that post (the main thread about how to do this)! I've contacted the company to try and cancel my order (It was late Friday so I don't think they've processed/shipped anything yet). So once I get the correct kit, even the 3.0 card will work? Just at 2.0 speeds?

So once I get the correct kit, even the 3.0 card will work? Just at 2.0 speeds?

Absolutely - PCIe 3.0 is completely backwards compatible. The 660 will just work at PCIe 2.0 (x1) speeds.

It's a real shame that the PE4H has an x16 slot as intuition tells you it _must_ be the one to get... it really isn't unless you can only run PCIe 1.1 (and want a detachable cable or to combine 2+ interfaces, like expresscard and mini-pcie)

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.