Mozilla firefox 3.6.3 vs 4.01

wbabt007

I made the mistake of installing mozilla 4.0 two weeks ago and it zombified my xps m1530, pages where loading slower than a snail race and My whole computer was running like all the ram was yanked out.

Tired of this I reinstalled the 3.6.3 and voila my internet is flying again.

I strongly recommend you stay away from the 4.0 release. Here is link in case you need to re install the 3.6.3

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.3/win32/en-US/

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

FF 4.0 seems to have a memory leak. I'm running it on my sister's Dell XPS 16 and my own M17x-R2 and after a while, it does start coming to a crawl. Once I shut the browser off completely and restart it, it's fine again. Google Chrome on the other hand works like a champ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I use it on both my R2 and my netbook (Asus 1101HA), so far I didn't notice any issues with performance or the plugins (I don't keep it on for long though, also some sites are not compatible yet and they look broken), I use chrome as well for this reason, thanks for the link

• Thumbs Up 1

What pisses me off is that after years of firefox being rock-solid, they release ff 4 and suddenly I'm getting random browser crashes. I'd never even seen that little screen untill 4 launched (I'm still using 3.6).

Google Chrome beta all the way baby... I always now use the latest beta of Chrome... never gives me trouble and is light weight and always fast for me. My mother used FF forever till I had her try Chrome... she plays online games through browser and these run faster in Chrome.

• Founder

no don't try it unless you wanna be a very early beta tester... what they say is that they plan to make firefox 6 for Linux as fast will FF 6 be for Windows

• Thumbs Up 1

I tried Google Chrome twice so far, and both times uninstalled it.

First, it doesn't have decent extension to work with Del.icio.us bookmarks. Second, it prompts me 'Do you want to download' EVERY single time I click on a PDF file. Or I can have it open in it's own browser which I don't want either (I'm using Acrobat Pro with bookmarking, text marking etc.) It's just extremely annoying. And as a student, I open a lot of pdfs. The options in Chrome are very scarce too. It's certainly faster than Firefox but still too unfinished imo. So, back to Firefox I go.

• 1 month later...

I have had similar problems but I like the speed when it works right. Firefox and Chrome have been feeling similar lately. As of late I've prefered Chromium browser over Chrome itself. Look it up and give it a try it's open source. I know they are almost the same but I prefer Chromium lately. Either way they all seem to exhibit multiple instances of themselves for each tab + atleast one, each with a considerable amount of ram usage.