P9150 GPU performance on battery

Kromulis

How can I get faster performance on battery? I got a Clevo/Sager P150EM with a Geforce GTX675MX. It really doesn't seem much faster than my other laptop with GT230M when on battery. I turned on preferred adapter to the nvidia, and max performance in the Nvidia control panel also set the power settings to high performance. It looks like the card is pinned at 135 Mhz cpu 400 Mhz mem on battery while the GT230M ramps up from 135 Mhz to 560 Mhz.cpu 790 mem on battery. It seems like it might be dropping back to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 card. Thanks

The 680m with default BIOS will not run on battery. The 675m is likely the same. svl7's BIOS allows the 680m to run while on battery, however, the system will shutdown in seconds if at normal 3d clocks and voltage. A workaround is to use Nvidia Inspector to force the GPU to 2D voltage and clocks, then you can overclock the 2D clocks. 2D clocks are capped at 405MHz core, 1600MHz effective (400 actual) memory, which is far below of what 2D voltage should be capable of.

You also may have noticed that the CPU is limited to a mere 1500MHz when on battery. You can use throttlestop to get rid of this cap.

With the above fixes I get slightly over an hour on battery while maintaining performance levels expected of a gaming laptop. The IGP will draw up to 20W when fully loaded, so battery life is hardly any better when using it instead.

The 680m with default BIOS will not run on battery. The 675m is likely the same. svl7's BIOS allows the 680m to run while on battery, however, the system will shutdown in seconds if at normal 3d clocks and voltage. A workaround is to use Nvidia Inspector to force the GPU to 2D voltage and clocks, then you can overclock the 2D clocks. 2D clocks are capped at 405MHz core, 1600MHz effective (400 actual) memory, which is far below of what 2D voltage should be capable of.

You also may have noticed that the CPU is limited to a mere 1500MHz when on battery. You can use throttlestop to get rid of this cap.

With the above fixes I get slightly over an hour on battery while maintaining performance levels expected of a gaming laptop. The IGP will draw up to 20W when fully loaded, so battery life is hardly any better when using it instead.

Thanks for the tips. I'm really thinking about applying Clevo 675mx (4GB) - 80.04.58.00.05_'OCedition'_rev00 from svl7 and Prema's bios.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that on battery, the GPU downclocks to 135 MHz core, 324 MHz memory. It may be possible to overclock the card further, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can make a vbios mod for it.

EDIT: Actually, svl7's vbios mod allows me to manually set the 675MX's clock to whatever I want when on battery.