Hey guys,

I'm cross posting from macrumors because I think everyone here has better experience with setting PCI registers and implementing EFI for Windows 8 in a mac setting.

So I've installed windows 8 through EFI, no bootcamp (emulated bios setup).

Current setup: Macbook Air mid 2012, Windows 8 EFI.

Problems right now:

1) No Audio. I've tried everything -- downloaded newest intel drivers and tried to force the HD Audio Controller driver to update using the intel DisplayAudio folder driver as mentioned here by gophermobile

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1427082&page=2

Does not work. Windows rejects the driver saying:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems." (Yes the driver is for 64 bit, straight from Intel's website).

Note that I had to use the Have Disk option in device manager, because simply doing "update driver" leads windows to reject the update saying its already gotten the newest drivers.

Tried this same Have Disk method to manually install Cirrus Drivers extracted from the Bootcamp drivers, and still the same error.

2) Intel Graphics HD4000 drivers not working. Using basic windows graphics driver which means that graphics is severely impeded. Anyone got a working solution for this? There has been mentions of setting PCI registers and all this nonsense but not sure if that is working.

I'm pretty sure these are the 2 MAIN problems.

Has ANYONE been able to resolve these? Let's solve these now, especially with the new Bootcamp 5 drivers out.

I'm wondering if this can all be solved using the PCI register. This is something I am highly unfamiliar with, but is it possible to set the PCI registers so the drivers identify the HD4000 intel graphics and the Cirrus Audio properly?

Had same on both when writing my EFI on Win8 guide.

Worked around gma by deleting the driver file (default VGA driver works fine and is fast and snappy for anything not gaming related).

Worked around audio by using an external USB audio card.

I'll try 10.8.3 drivers tonight as per advice above and see if its any better.

Also the brightness controls don't work for me.

I remember I read something somewhere, probably this forum, about someone getting the Intel HD4000 to be recognized in EFI mode. Don't know if it was a driver problem still, in the end. I might try this EFI boot myself, soon.

Unfortunately, I think Apple with the latest Boot Camp 5 still assumes people to boot/install in BIOS mode. Can't rely too much on Apple, they only provide bare minimum support.

As far as I can tell updated BootCamp Drivers won't help at all.

The PCI registars you were talking about are supposed to switch between Nvidia 650m and Intel HD 4000 so it can be used as primary GPU device (which actually works, but for now it will only save some battery power using Basic Display Drivers).

If we had functional drivers we could enable Nvidias Optimus.

Both audio and HD 4000 problems persist.

Did you try a fresh install of the drivers or just an update? I'll be trying the updated drivers soon and will tell you if they work for me or not.

He has a MBA 2012 while both of us have the 15" rMBP. So I can understand why our audio and HD4000 aren't working under EFI but his problem is quite strange. Which is why I asked him which error is showing up against the HD4000 in Device Manager.

I think people have got both Nvidia and AMD cards to work under EFI mode on Macs, after updated drivers were out. Could maybe indicate that the Intel drivers need to be updated to work with Apple's EFI. However, I think the Nvidia and AMD card were discrete. I haven't seen successful drivers for integrated ones yet, such as my own Nvidia 320M and the Intel HD 4000.

Just speculating... would be fun with some break through in this.

Did you try a fresh install of the drivers or just an update? I'll be trying the updated drivers soon and will tell you if they work for me or not.

He has a MBA 2012 while both of us have the 15" rMBP. So I can understand why our audio and HD4000 aren't working under EFI but his problem is quite strange. Which is why I asked him which error is showing up against the HD4000 in Device Manager.

Well I removed drivers before installing the new ones but as far as I can tell they can't be removed completely. So it's more like an update.

Sure there are differences between single GPU and dual GPU Macbooks. Though setting the PCI registars disables the dGPU and Intel HD 4000 becomes the primary one. So it's more or less the same again.

As far as I know most single GPU / 13'' Macbooks should be able to install Intel drivers in BIOS Mode but that's no option for 15'' Macbook Pro's.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone here have a link to an updated guide on how to reinstall win8 with EFI?

The only ones I've found have been using rEFIt (Opirash's) or swapping hard drives... Is there a way to do it with just bootcamp?

Hi,

I followed this guide:

Dual-booting Windows 8 and Mountain Lion natively using EFI at insideTheAsylum

I did this on my late-2013 15" which I configured to have no Nvidia GPU. Everything works and the only annoyance I have is that sometimes after reboot Windows loses my network card and creates a second one. Not a big deal but because I use VirtualBox and it is linked to the first card my VM's sometimes don't boot properly. You have to then remove both the cards in device manager and it will find and assign it back to the first one again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone here have a link to an updated guide on how to reinstall win8 with EFI?

The only ones I've found have been using rEFIt (Opirash's) or swapping hard drives... Is there a way to do it with just bootcamp?

for win8.1 there was absolutely no guide needed to install it on my mbpr 2015 15". have you even tried it? if so whats the acutall problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I followed this guide:

Dual-booting Windows 8 and Mountain Lion natively using EFI at insideTheAsylum

I did this on my late-2013 15" which I configured to have no Nvidia GPU. Everything works and the only annoyance I have is that sometimes after reboot Windows loses my network card and creates a second one. Not a big deal but because I use VirtualBox and it is linked to the first card my VM's sometimes don't boot properly. You have to then remove both the cards in device manager and it will find and assign it back to the first one again.

That is the installation guide I used and I can get into windows, but I keep running into an "black screen" error having to do with the video drivers when I try to install the support software. From everything I've read, it's got something to do with the igdkmd64.sys driver for the HD4000, and only happens when I either install the bootcamp driver package (not individually) or the nVidia drivers. If I remove igdkmd64.sys and nvlddmkm.sys from the drivers folder, the system will boot, but it leaves me with little graphics support...

I haven;t read anything which describes the nVidia drivers causing a problem so is this something new, or am I just not properly eliminating the HD4000 drivers?

for win8.1 there was absolutely no guide needed to install it on my mbpr 2015 15". have you even tried it? if so whats the acutall problem.

I did, and I got win8 to boot, but now I'm just trying to be able to get the drivers straight...

What did you do on your computer? Did you have problems installing nVidia drivers?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.