[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

BCLK (Reference Clock) can only be altered in very small steps. 100-105...Mhz

Better set things like memory in BIOS, XTU is not doing a good job. Set the values, then save and exit. After the next full shutdown changes take effect.

(As long as your CPU, motherboard & Memory can handle the selected clocks, if it can't take them then they reset to default).

HERE is a good read to understand the architecture. Mind that some features are only available for certain CPU/Motherboard models.

[MENTION=17078]I'm Poor[/MENTION] PM, glad you got it working. ;)

How did I'm Poor get it working? So now the fans don't run all the time?

For the P1xSM bios/ec, any info on how the fan profiles where changed, i.e. before and after values?

I sent him an EC which is more silent but runs hotter, so no good for OC.

No idea about values I simply don't touch the EC anymore since the EC in the 2013 models is no longer hosted on a separate flash chip, so a brick means new motherboard.

For me, the CPU fan was on permanently no matter what and wouldn't spin down with the modded EC and BIOS. Prema sent me a non-OC version of the EC that ran quieter. I flashed that and then I flashed back to the modded EC that came with the modded BIOS and it's quieter now and will spin down when the temps are low.

For me' date=' the CPU fan was on permanently no matter what and wouldn't spin down with the modded EC and BIOS. Prema sent me a non-OC version of the EC that ran quieter. I flashed that and then I flashed back to the modded EC that came with the modded BIOS and it's quieter now and will spin down when the temps are low.[/quote']

Interesting, I hear that for the second time now. Looks like Clevos EC has sometimes the tendency to get stuck after being flashed until it undergoes a full power cycle.

In case it happens to someone else. Removing the PSU while the system is running and then plugging it back should reset/fix it, too.

CPU-Z Validator 4.0

still trying on my Xenom PX15 (Clevo P157SM)

done, I was able to manage the memclock up to DDR3-2133, still can't set the system BClk though... even from BIOS I always get "invalid input range" message (I was trying 10010, 10100, 10001, and much more). It's a no go :(

maybe something wrong with my laptop?

CPU-Z Validator 4.0

still trying on my Xenom PX15 (Clevo P157SM)

done, I was able to manage the memclock up to DDR3-2133, still can't set the system BClk though... even from BIOS I always get "invalid input range" message (I was trying 10010, 10100, 10001, and much more). It's a no go :(

maybe something wrong with my laptop?

Congratulations for the CPU and RAM OC! :)

Regarding BCLK: From the ones you posted 10100 is a valid value. (We have to hit the "apply setting permanently" button, before doing a save and exit from BIOS).

At first I am sorry, but this post is going o to be an exact copy of my post from notebookreview.com. I hope you willl understand my need :)

Hi, Prema. Very good job with bios mods, I really appreciate your work. But there is something I need to ask you. Is there any chance that there will be BIOS that will enable CPU fan speed control? Or maybe you now what driver is responsible for the fan's good work? My CPU fan sometimes starts working at 75 degrees or even later (sometimes it's just too late) and my W350ETQ just shuts down. Of course I can force the fan to operate with full speed (FN+1) but I shouldn't be responsible for my laptop's cooling.

I hope you will find time for an answer icon7.gif

PS. I forgot to mention that I have already flashed Your up-to-date BIOS for w350ETQ. Maybe I'm just asking stupid questions but this heat management is making me crazy.

I see that the P157SM bios mod is released! That's some good news. I'm going to buy a P157SM next week so the first thing i'm going to do is flashing your bios in it. But i read that there's a problem with the ec so the fans stay on and that someone here fixed it to first flash the Modded bios, then a modded EC and then again the EC from the modded bios. But i don't have the modded EC, so can i flash your modded bios/ec, then the stock EC and then again your modded EC?

BTW, i don't have any money atm (all my money is for the laptop) but if i have money again i will donate some of it because modding a bios takes a long time and much work so i think you deserve it :subdued:

(sorry for my bad English, i'm 14 and speak Dutch but i'm learning it at school!)

At first I am sorry, but this post is going o to be an exact copy of my post from notebookreview.com. I hope you willl understand my need :)

Hi, Prema. Very good job with bios mods, I really appreciate your work. But there is something I need to ask you. Is there any chance that there will be BIOS that will enable CPU fan speed control? Or maybe you now what driver is responsible for the fan's good work? My CPU fan sometimes starts working at 75 degrees or even later (sometimes it's just too late) and my W350ETQ just shuts down. Of course I can force the fan to operate with full speed (FN+1) but I shouldn't be responsible for my laptop's cooling.

I hope you will find time for an answer icon7.gif

PS. I forgot to mention that I have already flashed Your up-to-date BIOS for w350ETQ. Maybe I'm just asking stupid questions but this heat management is making me crazy.

What model CPU do you have? Is the PSU the 90W or 120W model?

I see that the P157SM bios mod is released! That's some good news. I'm going to buy a P157SM next week so the first thing i'm going to do is flashing your bios in it. But i read that there's a problem with the ec so the fans stay on and that someone here fixed it to first flash the Modded bios, then a modded EC and then again the EC from the modded bios. But i don't have the modded EC, so can i flash your modded bios/ec, then the stock EC and then again your modded EC?

BTW, i don't have any money atm (all my money is for the laptop) but if i have money again i will donate some of it because modding a bios takes a long time and much work so i think you deserve it :subdued:

(sorry for my bad English, i'm 14 and speak Dutch but i'm learning it at school!)

Don't worry his EC just got stuck in some speed, removing the PSU while the system is running and putting it back in would have cleared it, too. Stranger things happen... :)

Hi guys,

I just joined up today after being fed up with no raid 0 options on my Metabox bios. I'll try out some custom flash's after i reach the post limit count.

I'm i am running a recent (to my knowledge of version of what was given) "Stock" Metabox bios.

If this version is useful for yourself Prema i can upload it.

(what bios currently lists)

MB P150EMx

ME FW 8.0.4.1441

Bios Rev 1.00.10aNS1

KBC/EC firmware rev 1.00.075A

Hi Prema! Thanks for your awesome Bios!

I can't seem to overclock the memory clocks at all..i have no option for that! Do my rams unsupport that?

I was able to reduce the cas latencys, but there are no memory clock options. All i see is a Memory Clock frequency, blocked to 2 options (1.00 and 1.33) and a Memory Frequency ( at 12, can't change that, bios always refuses to boot if i do).

Any advice?

Thanks, happy holidays!

Don't worry his EC just got stuck in some speed, removing the PSU while the system is running and putting it back in would have cleared it, too. Stranger things happen... :)

Thank you, so it's not a (big) problem to fix if it happens.

I read on the internet that the baseclock of haswell goes in jumps so you can choose for 100mhz, 125mhz, 166mhz and 250mhz and that you can only increase or decrease the baseclock with 3mhz from those speeds. (am i explaining it good enough? I'm having a link to a webpage that's explaining it better: Haswell overclocked: the Core i7-4770K at 4.7GHz - The Tech Report - Page 1 ) Can you do this also with the mobile cpu's/chipsets or is it just for desktop cpu's/chipsets?

What model CPU do you have? Is the PSU the 90W or 120W model?

I got 120W PSU and i7-3630QM. Is there any option to modify EC firmware to make it more responsive? Fan is disabled when CPU is very cool but activates itself when temps are above 70 degrees. If you want I can provide screenshots from HWiNFO charts or give you logs.

Merry Christmas :)

I can't seem to overclock the memory clocks at all..i have no option for that! Do my rams unsupport that?

I was able to reduce the cas latencys, but there are no memory clock options. All i see is a Memory Clock frequency, blocked to 2 options (1.00 and 1.33) and a Memory Frequency ( at 12, can't change that, bios always refuses to boot if i do).

Any advice?

Thanks, happy holidays!

It sounds like you need to loosen timings to get higher speeds to work. This is not uncommon at all.

It sounds like you need to loosen timings to get higher speeds to work. This is not uncommon at all.

No, that's not it.

My rams, @ stock are clocked 1600Mhz with 11-11-11-28.I have them 1600Mhz at 10-10-10-28 no problem.

But there is an option missing on the memory bios tab.. i've seen other bios'es from Prema on other Clevos, and they have a option to select, 1600, 1866, 2133.. while i have nothing of that sort.

I've tried to raise the Memory frequency from 12 to 14 (i don't know what it does.. i was just hoping), and even with 12-12-12-28, the system refuses to boot.

So, i can achieve tighter timings, which is nice, but i can't seem to change those pesky pesky 1600Mhz, because i see no option to change that.

If you ask, i can post pictures of my option on the memory tab.

Thanks for the support!

Interesting, I hear that for the second time now. Looks like Clevos EC has sometimes the tendency to get stuck after being flashed until it undergoes a full power cycle.

In case it happens to someone else. Removing the PSU while the system is running and then plugging it back should reset/fix it, too.

Hi and Happy New Year (soon anyway)!

I have tried the v1 BIOS mod for my P157SM Clevo laptop. I mostly tried it to solve the awful fan profile that the P157SM has. But after flashing the BIOS (starting with "Stock" Bios 31 and EC 31) the fan behaviour has changed from the annoying pulsing in Quiet mode (every 2-3min the fan goes to medium for 30s, processor only reaches 55deg C maximum) to constant low mode. I do not know which one is the worst but the optimal would be totally quiet until the CPU is 65deg C or hotter (never happens in quiet mode) and then an rather agressive acceleration to full if temperature goes higher.

Usage scenarious (two different):

1. Quiet surfing on the web. Processor at minimum (800Mhz) and passive cooling activated. Using iGpu.

2. Gaming FPS game. Processor att maximum performance (without overclocking thou). Using dGpu. Fan speed near or at maximum for better boost performanace and dGpu boost.

I usually have Quiet mode (or rather an adapted "Power Saver" mode in Windows 8.1) for scenario 1.

For gaming I have High Performance (also adapted) in scenario 2.

For most convienient use I would really like to always stay att High Performance mode in Windows but if changing mode helps so be it.

Is there anything that can be done in BIOS or the EC to help my problem? (Foremost turning off fan on light load).

Computer: P157SM

PSU: 180W

Memory: 16GB

HDD: Presently only a 120Gb MSATA disk (will be adding a normal 240gb SSD too) (the MSATA is running fairly hot, hope it survies the laptop)

dGpu: Nvidia 770M

CPU: 4700MQ

OP: Windows 8.1 using UEFI

Regards

MrK

P.s.

On flashing I did the 30s PSU unplug (but without removing the main battery?). I have also tried the PSU unplugged for a minute running in Windows 8.1. No changes observed.

I have not tried any BIOS performance settings for the CPU but I guess that would be a bit unconvinient when first surfing and then wanting to do a gamin session if you have to reboot and alter bios.

No, that's not it.

My rams, @ stock are clocked 1600Mhz with 11-11-11-28.I have them 1600Mhz at 10-10-10-28 no problem.

But there is an option missing on the memory bios tab.. i've seen other bios'es from Prema on other Clevos, and they have a option to select, 1600, 1866, 2133.. while i have nothing of that sort.

I've tried to raise the Memory frequency from 12 to 14 (i don't know what it does.. i was just hoping), and even with 12-12-12-28, the system refuses to boot.

So, i can achieve tighter timings, which is nice, but i can't seem to change those pesky pesky 1600Mhz, because i see no option to change that.

Thanks for the support!

Well XTU should work even if the BIOS lacks menus. You can set a slightly lower 1800mhz instead of the 1866 that you tried by changing the memory clock multiplier from 1.33 to 1, and the multiplier from 14 to 18. 1.00 * 18 * 100 (the base clock) = 1800mhz. Just something to try. Also I think 28 tRAS is too tight for 12-12-12. Try something like 32 with it.

Any advice?

Thanks, happy holidays!

No, that's not it.

Thanks for the support!

Well that's exactly the memory setting. 133 x 12 = 1600Mhz

You tried 1866Mhz (133x14) and it failed, so the RAM, CPU or system may not take the OC too well. Few pages back the same setting worked on the same system with other hardware configuration...you could try 100x18 to run it 1:1.

Also avoid XTU as it doesn't work too well for P-SM Memory OC.

Change it in BIOS, then save and exit and do a full shutdown from Windows.

On next boot it will use them.

Hi! Are there any mods for Clevo P370SM? Thought i saw them, but today i can't find them on Prema's site! What happened?

If you saw them here then you may be from the future... ;)

Hi guys,

I just joined up today after being fed up with no raid 0 options on my Metabox bios. I'll try out some custom flash's after i reach the post limit count.

I'm i am running a recent (to my knowledge of version of what was given) "Stock" Metabox bios.

If this version is useful for yourself Prema i can upload it.

(what bios currently lists)

MB P150EMx

ME FW 8.0.4.1441

Bios Rev 1.00.10aNS1

KBC/EC firmware rev 1.00.075A

THX, but don't need it. That's also an old version, so you will enjoy the Mod a lot, among a lot of tweaks under the hood, it will enable Intel XTU Software use! :)

Thank you, so it's not a (big) problem to fix if it happens.

I read on the internet that the baseclock of haswell goes in jumps so you can choose for 100mhz, 125mhz, 166mhz and 250mhz and that you can only increase or decrease the baseclock with 3mhz from those speeds. (am i explaining it good enough? I'm having a link to a webpage that's explaining it better: Haswell overclocked: the Core i7-4770K at 4.7GHz - The Tech Report - Page 1 ) Can you do this also with the mobile cpu's/chipsets or is it just for desktop cpu's/chipsets?

I got 120W PSU and i7-3630QM. Is there any option to modify EC firmware to make it more responsive? Fan is disabled when CPU is very cool but activates itself when temps are above 70 degrees. If you want I can provide screenshots from HWiNFO charts or give you logs.

Merry Christmas :)

I think that's an XM CPU only feature. I still enabled the feature for everyone...so you tell me. ;)

I also posted Intels official Haswell Overclocking guide HERE!

Hi and Happy New Year (soon anyway)!

I have tried the v1 BIOS mod for my P157SM Clevo laptop. I mostly tried it to solve the awful fan profile that the P157SM has. But after flashing the BIOS (starting with "Stock" Bios 31 and EC 31) the fan behaviour has changed from the annoying pulsing in Quiet mode (every 2-3min the fan goes to medium for 30s, processor only reaches 55deg C maximum) to constant low mode. I do not know which one is the worst but the optimal would be totally quiet until the CPU is 65deg C or hotter (never happens in quiet mode) and then an rather agressive acceleration to full if temperature goes higher.

Usage scenarious (two different):

1. Quiet surfing on the web. Processor at minimum (800Mhz) and passive cooling activated. Using iGpu.

2. Gaming FPS game. Processor att maximum performance (without overclocking thou). Using dGpu. Fan speed near or at maximum for better boost performanace and dGpu boost.

I usually have Quiet mode (or rather an adapted "Power Saver" mode in Windows 8.1) for scenario 1.

For gaming I have High Performance (also adapted) in scenario 2.

For most convienient use I would really like to always stay att High Performance mode in Windows but if changing mode helps so be it.

Is there anything that can be done in BIOS or the EC to help my problem? (Foremost turning off fan on light load).

Computer: P157SM

PSU: 180W

Memory: 16GB

HDD: Presently only a 120Gb MSATA disk (will be adding a normal 240gb SSD too) (the MSATA is running fairly hot, hope it survies the laptop)

dGpu: Nvidia 770M

CPU: 4700MQ

OP: Windows 8.1 using UEFI

Regards

MrK

P.s.

On flashing I did the 30s PSU unplug (but without removing the main battery?). I have also tried the PSU unplugged for a minute running in Windows 8.1. No changes observed.

I have not tried any BIOS performance settings for the CPU but I guess that would be a bit unconvinient when first surfing and then wanting to do a gamin session if you have to reboot and alter bios.

What we all wish for is not possible. If the fan doesn't spin the CPU will heat up to trigger almost any value. So at that point the fan will blow and switch off once cool again and create the canyoning fan ON - OFF - ON - OFF burst.

The other solution is to keep at spinning at very low speed to keep it from heating up, this is what it does now.

Keep in mind that Clevos Control Center Software also influences the fan behavior. So using Entertainment or quiet mode will create a minimum noise scenario for low usage situations.

I get it now, damn i'm dumb.

So, it turns out my ram sticks really don't enjoy higher frequencies...

I've tried 1.00 and 16, it boots up ofc, at 1600mhz.

With the latencies stock, i've tried 1.00 and 18, doesn't boot up at 1800Mhz :/

I've changed the latencies to 12-12-12-32, 1.00 and 18, still doesn't boot.. damn it's hopeless...i'll just stick with 1600Mhz @ 10-10-10-26, which is an improvement vs stock :)

Maybe 2T can smooth things up a little? I made up the 1800mhz with the lower latencies, but i don't know how much better is 1T 1600mhz vs 2T 1866mhz...

Well, thanks everybody! Guess i'll stick with these, and maybe change rams in a couple months just to satisfy myself :)

@Prema,

I downloaded that PDF file that you posted and went to page 21 where they are talking about the bclk options. And in the mobile column they say that the mobile platform also has those bclk multipliers. Would this mean that you can (in combination with your modded bios so you can increase the tdp) overclock a I7-4700MQ 25% further? That would be great!

EDIT: Didn't read good, it's xm only... (it's not xm only, see edit2)

EDIT2:

Holy F*** I was searching thorough the document and i found also a very usable page with a list of processors (page 24) that says if they have those bclk settings or not, and the i7 4700mq *DOES* support those bclk settings and finetuning! But only with the HM87 chipset, which is not a problem because the P157SM has the HM87 chipset so when i have my laptop i will try the 125mhz baseclock and post my results here.

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic