[BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock

Hello Prema,

Please find the latest version of the P170Sm-A bios and EC version :

Bios 1.03.09

EC 1.03.09

Can you please do your magic on this bios and EC?

Can you also update the differents Oprom of this bios (IGPU, LAN, DGPU, intel AHCI and RAID rom if possible).

Thank you in advance,

N3ST

Edit :

Tested biosand EC, it work fine, just waiting for the usual magic ;)

Prema has a lot of work to do... Unless you want to donate 20+ bucks to his coffee fund, [removed]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ADMIN: Insulting other forum members is not tolerated here. Keep things civil.

• Thumbs Up 1

prima, your bios v1.1 for W230SS is still broken.

ICC overclocking says "failed to initialize library" & ASPM still causes reboots and freezes.

It works fine(FHD verison) , got it flashed with mine and ICC overclocking doesnt throw any errors....

OK... Did another few runs and here is what I found

With prema bios at stock clocks:

- the total power readings of the "MSI dragon gaming center" seem to be quiet accurate (I compared them to readings of my power meter)

- the power consumption with premas bios is exceeding 245 Watt

- with the stock ac adapter the GT72 is constantly switching to "hybrid" power - meaning that the battery is used in addition to the AC adapter to compensate the high power demand (this can also be seen in "dragon gaming center")

With svl7s bios at stock clocks:

- same story - in addition I even needed to throttle the power limit slider down to 50-65% - otherwise I got to a point where the GT72 throttled itself (the internal EC controler)

With OC (both bios mods)

- before I redid the paste job I also saw a lot of throttling when using any OC due to overheat (exceeding 87 °C)

- with svl7s bios I needed to up the voltage slider higher than with premas mod to be able to OC (also I assume that this is due to different base lines - I didn't compare the actual resulting voltages)

- overall OC seems to be possible with both but there is much more trial and error with svl7s bios and GT72 owners seem to need to lower the PT slider A LOT - lowering the temp target does help too but gives much worse overall scores / results

- the power consumption in dragon center starts to show "AC" instead of any actual value during test runs - this might indicate that it is exceeding all limits

Bottom line for GT72:

- a stronger AC adapter might be needed - the GT72 seems to have "dell compatible" connector - I sucessfully tested a 240Watt ac adapter from dell - but it's actually shutting down a little earlier than 240 Watt (might be because its old) to protect itself compared to the MSI one , question is if the GT72 will detect the stronger power source and act accordingly

- with the GT72 switching constantly to hybrid mode and thus also decharging the battery and possibly using up more recharge cycles I'm wondering if OC is a good idea for the long run at all

- there doesn't seem to be much headroom in the GT72 for OC unfortunately because of the cooling solution and the ec-controler

- I will still need to check if the stock bios is requiring hyprid power as often as the modded bios (UPDATE: See update)

- for the GT72 we might need a "optimized throtteling" bios that does not cross healthy limits with a much lower power target

UPDATE1:

Stock Bios - Stock Clocks:

Did a few test runs with the stock bios and it seems not to exceed 210 Watt whereas the OC bios reached 245Watt (and probable more depending on what "AC" is meaning in dragon center).

In respect of hybrid power I saw it only triggering once for a short time during my 3D mark runs.

UPDATE2:

Stock Bios - Max OC (which isn't that much +135Mhz GPU, +600Mhz Mem, +12.5mV).

Hybrid power triggered more often and also for longer periods, yet still less often as with the OC mods (even if those run at stock clocks). 220 was the highest Wattage I've seen.

Question is - why does Hybrid Power trigger at all - isn't this supposed to be a 230 Watt ac adapter (19.5Vx11.8A) ?

• Thumbs Up 2

ull have to check his website, since hes on travels atm and probably wont be answering anytime soon :)

The one on the site hasn't updated. I usually get a response here via the alert system so it helps when I'm not always on the lookout. Same should go for him. :witless:

• Thumbs Up 2

Check the vbios before , because if it's the newer one you need to flash the qhd verison

I reflashed and now the intel overclocking section works, the dGPU ASPM is stil not working though, laptop switches off and reboots if I open the nvidia control panel and click on the window with the global settings, sometimes it switches off and reboots if i open device manger, first the mouse goes all stuttery before the machine shuts of and then restarts.

as soon as I turn off the ASPM under dGPU everything is fine, the first link state option works but the 2nd one doesn't, that cause the system crash.

did a bit of research and found Poll: does PCI-E ASPM work for you? - nV News Forums

it seems it's disabled / hidden in many bios because it can cause instability / be buggy, doesn't work for everyone. so that's made me feel better now.

What problem with the older bios and the Killer 1525 card?

With Killer don't work Bluetooth correctly...

CEG Clevo Extreme Gaming

Your Upgrade Base for Clevo & Alienware - Notebooks Retailer - Made in Germany - We ship international - For NBR & Techinferno users always something ;)

• Guest changed the title to [BIOS/vBIOS - MODS] Prema Mod™ & Stock
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic