Orion 17" backpack - Poor quality? / Alternatives?

ant_coe_

Just on my second Orion backpack from dell and its developed another fault - the solider straps are tearing at the seams. The first one lost its protective foaming in the laptop compartment.

Alienware Orion M17x Backpack

Just wandering if there is an alternative that can fit the 17x comfortably. Thinking of the swissgear but it seems to be up to 17" laptop sizes and dont want to risk it.

Thanks!

PS the Checkpoint friendly is a load of rubbish as you *always* have to take it out anyhow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Any pack designed for carrying a notebook computer is probably junk. The back will be flimsy and do nothing to distribute the weight to the worse than useless belt -- if it even has a belt. My advice is to get a good, solid day pack (I'm currently using a Deuter ACT Trail 32 -- possibly the best day pack I've ever seen, never mind owned) and a padded sleeve that fits your computer and pack. Your back will be glad you did.

I had exactly that problem with the M18X backpack, they're total crap.

Personally I use and highly recommend an Everki Titan, It's now holding my 17" clevo snug as a bug. Great pack, features, not tooo expensive, built like a tank - but it's BIG. Try to check one out in person before deciding, it may be more than you need. That said, if you're the type of guy who carries the world on his back with him, you'll absolutely love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dell are not replacing the bag - they say the damage is due to consumer misuse

Hummmm!

"On behalf of AW manager [name removed], this email is to confirm that we find damage occuring on your Alienware backpack as customer induced and due to wrong usage, thus out of warranty issue."

Ill be on the phone with the consumer advice helpline tomorrow about this one!, will upload photos of the issue for you to vote on in a bit

Thanks for the alternatives.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My Orion backpack did last me 4yrs before I gave it to my sister, now it's in pieces within a year. I got a Targums backpack, larger than Orion backpack but can carry m18x and m17x at the same time with 2 power bricks but with so much it's a killer on the back, single m17x/m18x is no problem.

I got a M18X earlier this year, and i was searching for a backpack that can carry m18x, its power brick, the mouse, and my gaming headset, but i didn't want to spend much money, so i bought the Dicota Backpack Move, and the m18x fit perfectly in it. I even add some cloth to protect it and the backpack is just perfect like this. It does not allow to carry as much things as the Orion one, but it is also really cheaper.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...