G75VW Linux Compatability

haby001

Hey guys,

I tried searching for a linux thread about the g75vw but I didn't find anything and as I've been trying to dump the old windows and switch to Linux Ubuntu, but being a long time Windows and Mac user I had my bumps and scratches. To anyone who is having trouble installing everything I found this website with a lot of info about g75vw and linux compatability

Asus G75VW [Linux Laptop Wiki]

Hope it helps and lets see if anyone has any extra info bout the drivers, hotkeys and everything else

[EDIT]

Could a Mod or Admin move this thread to Asus Gaming Notebook Forum?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually getting ready to do a test run with mine... my build might be a little different though because I'm planning on a Virtual Machine setup so that the drivers from windows will actually translate into the linux VM but at the same time I will have the environment to test out compatibility. Really what I need right now is some suggestions on a flavor of linux that seems to have the most success in the gaming world.... Ubuntu?

Really what I need right now is some suggestions on a flavor of linux that seems to have the most success in the gaming world.... Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is the most used OS in the linux distro world (distributions)... linux has just a few games... although steam has now a linux compatability and a lot of developers are creating games for linux... check The Humble Bundle Mojam 2 (pay what you want and help charity) for some awesome games for mac/windows/linux for just about 6 dls a pack of 5 games... Go ubuntu

• 1 month later...

Yes Steam now is on the linux bandwagon, very soon you will see good AAA titles coming to Linux! :)

Anyway, every major Linux distros should work immadiatelly on your notebook, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, CentOS, OpenSuSE, Sabayon. Just try them, and if you have any problems/question, googling on the net will help you im sure! :)

• 3 weeks later...

IMO I would probably not use the Unity shell if you're using Ubuntu. I've had many issues with it being a graphics hog and on machines that don't run more than 1GB VRAM tend to be very choppy and just a pain. Obviously on these laptops it's not really that big of a problem, but with how linux is designed I'm sure you'd rather squeeze some extra performance out of it. I've had a much better experience with the Gnome shell just because it's smoother and takes much less power to run it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Towards any G75VW user, who would wanted to give Ubuntu a try ( it the only one I had tested with my G75VW )

Since the first post was in 2013 :beguiled: Alot of thing changed, For example the Function key work without any need of driver ( Ha, take that Microsoft ! )

In Linux its OPENGL who work as Directx in windows, which is support both by your gpu.

If anyone have question towards Ubuntu feel free to ask me questions :)

• 8 months later...

Windows 8 is UEFI on your mobo, so don't worry about losing it...  

You have to get into the BIOS and change your boot options and boot from USB install, CD will not work.

I did this about a year ago, it was a pain in the a to figure out...  You have to turn off something in the bios to boot from usb, legacy something or csm...  

I can't remember.. But you can't boot from cd! lol..  Ubuntu's performance was great, however, games ran poorly.. :/

If you figure it out and eventually want to go back to windows, just download windows 8's iso from microsoft and make it usb bootable with their usb tool.. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool  

Edited by Bezerkr1

• 10 months later...

as with kernel 4.9.0 still the screen backlight keys are "bios Software broken". This is a generic issue with ASUS and the bios manufactuerer. UEFI just sucks ...

I use a workaroud with xrandr to change the backlight of lvds.

I play dirt3 in gentoo linux => wine => windows steam => dirt3

--

regarding booting from the optical drive.

works for the windows 10 iso from microsoft itself, the key is taken from the bios

you can fuck around with creating an usb stick which boots, but why bothering when you only have to turn off secure boot and boot an iso dvd/cd? that feature was implemented so windows operating system may not be hijacked by a bios virus, and that feature was requested by microsoft.

regarding linux. most isos boot, some won*t, but thats to the matter of sucky UEFI bios, or bad choosen kernel parameters for those live isos.

you need to turn of secure boot, as the bios has only a few options you will find it quite fast 

--

one of the few notebooks with an optical drive

Edited by N4RUS394W4