(G75VW) Secure Boot Windows 8

ikith

So I've posted on a couple of other forums and have gotten a generic "If you don't know what you are doing, don't install a new OS". However I am an IT technician and since this whole secureboot thing is brand freaking new, trying to research it is a pain.

So I come here hoping for better answers.

My question:

I have a G75VW laptop, I have installed Windows 8 however when checking if its secure boot via powershell I get:

Get-SecureBootPolicy : Secure Boot policy is not enabled on this machine.

This laptop came preinstalled with Windows 7, and used to have a UEFI option in the BIOS but was removed in a BIOS update.

Does the G75VW support secure boot, if so how do I enable it in my current install of Windows 8, if that is impossible how would I go about reinstalling and enabling secureboot?

Secure boot is available in the G75VW bios, even though it might be hidden in the newer versions. It should be under the 'security' tab in the bios if it is available.

In order to use secure boot you need to do a so called "uefi installation" of your OS, it needs to be installed on a GPT partition, along with some other partitions for uefi stuff etc.

If you want to use secure boot then you need to flash a bios which provides this feature, and not a modified bios.That's the whole purpose of secure boot... the firmware won't allow you to load the OS in case it detects unsigned code when setting up the hardware at boot. Therefore you won't be able to use secure boot in a modified bios. If you can use it while using a mod bios, then it isn't implemented properly and looses its whole purpose.

In my opinion there's really no reason to use secure boot. It got introduced under the argument of security, but in the end it locks out the user from it's system. Using modified bios has gotten pretty difficult, due to the 'secure flash' procedures which come with secure boot capable firmwares it is no longer possible to just flash anything you want. Your system gets locked down severely under the pretext of security. For me the security aspect is invalid since most current uefi implementations have some pretty severe loopholes which allow to get unsigned code executed even if secure boot is active.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm currently struggling with this right now. I had a dual-boot Win8 Ubuntu setup on my G74 before it bricked, so I assumed I could just transplant the two HDs and things would be just fine. Not the case. I've had to delete my old Ubuntu partition, and still can't boot from a live usb to install again. Have SecureBoot enabled? I get binary whitelisted. Not enabled? Black screen. Have spent at least 3 hours today researching how to get it to work, about to try modifying the code in GRUB.