Gaming Keaboards

IrealiTY

Let's talk about the keyboards.

Which one do use?

I'm playing with a generic Logitech 10€ keyset but plannig to get either the DeathStalker normal or the new one with the toucscreen:

normal:

post-7024-14494994296824_thumb.png

new:

post-7024-1449499429716_thumb.png

I like the "notebook" like shaped buttons.

• Founder

Well, apart from my subjective view on Razer products (no likey) I can tell you that a friend of mine got one of those and had to rma it within a month. Can't say i was surprised.. Me and a few other users here (@unreal25 is one) had a very pessimistic experience with razer products.

Two words: mechanical keyboard. :) The non-backlit versions are probably less prone to braking so may be a better choice if you don't really need a backlighting. I would highly highly HIGHLY suggest you to give a try to a mechanical keyboard. I cannot stress this enough. I've used only two so far though. I had the "legendary" IBM Model M waaay back when I was a big noob so I gave it away (my mom got it for me from her work when they were getting rid of old computers). Right now I am using Logitech G710+ and I have to say I am delighted with it. The typing feel is miles ahead of a crappy Dell $10 keyboard that I use at work. I think its worth ordering it online if you can and returning it later for a fee just to try it out in case you don't like it since I found it difficult to find them in stores.

I have used two of the gaming keyboards that aren't mechanical: Razer Lycosa and and Logitech G15. They are OK overall -- Lycosa has a particular rubbery feel on keys that has a tendency to peel of fairly quickly. I've used Lycosa for about 2 months and ASDW and left shift look pretty worn out (atm I have no clue what to do with it -- I am planning just selling it on eBay for ~$10 + whatever the shipping will cost). Logitech G15 is more durable in that respect and the typing feel is a little different even though both have rubber domes. They aren't bad I just think they're worth quite a bit less than their retail price.

The ones you linked has some very cool features, but to repeat what I think of them. 1) I literally never look at the keyboard when I am gaming. It would distract me so much from the action that is happening that it would probably result in me getting killed in game. If I wanted something extra, I would probably want something more along these lines:

post-115-14494994299292_thumb.jpg

2) I simply can't trust with anything fancy like that made by Razer. They have some good stuff (some of their mouse pads and Deathadder) but they had some big flops, big bugs with e.g. Razer Mamba that never got fixed etc. If it was made by Logitech, OK. Razer? No way. If I wanted to buy something that's not mechanical, I would look for a Thinkpad-style desktop keyboard (I really love the nice feedback feel they give, unlike the more shallow classic notebook keyboards).

At the end, a lot is going to be about your personal preferences. If you really feel that a certain keyboard "feels" better to you -- than it's all that matters. But be very that a lot of this "gaming" gear is often built with flashy lights and cool looks, but with parts that are of questionable or sub-par quality.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
Two words: mechanical keyboard. :) The non-backlit versions are probably less prone to braking so may be a better choice if you don't really need a backlighting. I would highly highly HIGHLY suggest you to give a try to a mechanical keyboard. I cannot stress this enough. I've used only two so far though. I had the "legendary" IBM Model M waaay back when I was a big noob so I gave it away (my mom got it for me from her work when they were getting rid of old computers). Right now I am using Logitech G710+ and I have to say I am delighted with it. The typing feel is miles ahead of a crappy Dell $10 keyboard that I use at work. I think its worth ordering it online if you can and returning it later for a fee just to try it out in case you don't like it since I found it difficult to find them in stores.

I have used two of the gaming keyboards that aren't mechanical: Razer Lycosa and and Logitech G15. They are OK overall -- Lycosa has a particular rubbery feel on keys that has a tendency to peel of fairly quickly. I've used Lycosa for about 2 months and ASDW and left shift look pretty worn out (atm I have no clue what to do with it -- I am planning just selling it on eBay for ~$10 + whatever the shipping will cost). Logitech G15 is more durable in that respect and the typing feel is a little different even though both have rubber domes. They aren't bad I just think they're worth quite a bit less than their retail price.

The ones you linked has some very cool features, but to repeat what I think of them. 1) I literally never look at the keyboard when I am gaming. It would distract me so much from the action that is happening that it would probably result in me getting killed in game. If I wanted something extra, I would probably want something more along these lines:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6029[/ATTACH]

2) I simply can't trust with anything fancy like that made by Razer. They have some good stuff (some of their mouse pads and Deathadder) but they had some big flops, big bugs with e.g. Razer Mamba that never got fixed etc. If it was made by Logitech, OK. Razer? No way. If I wanted to buy something that's not mechanical, I would look for a Thinkpad-style desktop keyboard (I really love the nice feedback feel they give, unlike the more shallow classic notebook keyboards).

At the end, a lot is going to be about your personal preferences. If you really feel that a certain keyboard "feels" better to you -- than it's all that matters. But be very that a lot of this "gaming" gear is often built with flashy lights and cool looks, but with parts that are of questionable or sub-par quality.

Basically.....

What he said :D

I cannot agree more with a mechanical keyboard. I got have the Razer Black Widow Ultimate, and couldn't be happier about it. However, CM Storm makes very good 104 key, and tenkeyless (without the num pad) boards in their QuickFire series. That being said, there are many different types of key switches (http://i.imgur.com/cZkte.png) that all feel different, and have different noise levels. (I'm a big fan of MX Blues becaue of their clicky sounds ;) )

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the input. Gonna chekc that Logitech keyboard. - As mentioned I'm sitting on a Logitech K200 (~10€ keyset) but I''m getting stressted by the "feel" of the buttons. While I love the feel of the ones on my Aliennotebook,

• 1 month later...

You might want to look at an alternative to a keyboard if you are using a notebook and gaming. I'm using a Logitech G13 to reduce usage and damage of my notebook keyboard. It has more keys than the what other companies currently offer and is very customizable and sturdy. My only complain is the plastic "thumbstick" which has already chipped and the learning curve getting used to it. It took me a month to get muscle memory on this thing. Now I can't game without it anymore.

• 6 months later...

I love my mechanical keyboard. I've got a Leopold FC660M with Cherry MX browns. It's compact enough to fit in the bag with my laptop, but it's still got all the keys I use. (Function keys are mapped to the Fn layer of the number keys and Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn are mapped to the arrow keys. It's brilliant and feels intuitive.) And it's plate-mounted with PBT keycaps so the build quality feels totally solid. My only complaint is that I got it with brown switches because I didn't know it was available with MX clears

Bleh, I bought a Razer Deathstalker because I needed something "silent" like the notebook keys... But well, it's not silent as I would like, the keys appears to be something cheap and buggy, it's quieter than the "normal" keyboards but ... And the green backlight is horrible :U

I now discovered about the Blackwindow Stealth edition, I'm wondering how much silent is the stealth edition compared to other normal keyboards, deathstalker and notebook keys... But I don't want the extra macro keys... lol

I use a Das Keyboard Ultimate. It's a mechanical keyboard with all blank keys. It takes a little getting used to but once you get the feel for it its great. You can replace the keys with custom keys as well. Ive changed out all of my function keys with custom caps. I have the keyboard with the Cherry MX blue switches. Blue switches are clicky. The brown switches are quieter. I have owned both styles and just find that I like the click better.

Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Das Keyboard

I have a DAS at work myself, and I can't really describe how amazing it is to type on. It's got browns so my coworkers don't really notice the sound unless I'm with a particularly ignorant caller. At home I've been using the built-in chiclet KB on my laptop, but I do have a CM Quickfire Storm with browns as well that I used when I had gaming desktops before I moved to mobile. I've also owned Cherry Blacks, but didn't really like them as they were a bit stiff for my taste. I've considered trying Reds, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Might do that with my next mech, which will likely be the Filco mentioned above somewhere, don't remember the part number. I'd use a TKL at work, but need the numpad more often than not :-/

• 2 weeks later...

I use a relatively, at least I assume, "unknown" mechanical gear - namely the "TESORO DURANDAL ULTIMATE G1NL LED BACKLIT MECHANICAL GAMING KEYBOARD" with brown MX switches.

99% of the time it's all good to handle, but 1% it gives me some angry headache when it will out of the blue repeat the letters constantly and only the "WTF is this shit - rub the whole keyboard at once to stop it!!!" method gives an end to misbehaviour. Maybe I would buy it anew, even a firmware upgrade didn't solve my "problem", but in comparison to rubberdome keyboards it was a good choice.

I really enjoy my Corsair k90. I got it from a local ad for only $50 brand new in box! I figured that I couldn't beat that price so snagged it. It's looking like they no longer make the keyboard though. The replacement is the Corsair k95 which looks amazing! I really enjoy the MX Red switches and will never go back to a traditional non-mechanical keyboard.

I had troubles with razer keyboards as well, I had a lycosa that would get stuck for no reason, didn't even bother rma it, bought my self a cooler master quickfire tk, it was my first mechanical, and I have to say I really enjoy it, never going back to razer keyboards, I still have my red deathader matching my keyboard! post-20202-14494996467717_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind about the mechanical keyboards, they ARE loud. Even the silent ones are loud, in fact, the the razor Stealth keyboard can be even louder than the original one for people who are not used to using one. It is a TOTALLY different experience, and can be extremely annoying to a room-mate / spouse.

They do get quieter as you get used to them though. Mechanical keyboards are not meant to be bottomed out. That extra loud click is caused by the mechanisms hitting the bottom, which is actually lower than the actuation point. Once you get used to typing on them and stop pushing them all the way down, like you have to with a rubber contact keyboard like most use now, they will get much quieter, especially the MX-Red.

Right now I am using the Logitech G710+, which uses the MX-Brown mechanics. This thing is a beautiful keyboard, and since I am using a Logitech mouse with it, they are both controlled by the same piece of software. Ive tried both the Razor Black Widow, the original, and it was very nice. I actually liked it a bit better, it felt like a more solid build, but all the razers are now using synapse 2.0 which i refuse to use so that kinda forces my hand in terms of brands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...