Remove Bios WLAN whitelist for Lenovo IdeaPad Y400

tetrazombie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've just got a Lenovo IdeaPad Y400 with BIOS 6BCN34WW(V1.05). I would like to use the Wifi Link 5100 AGN for 5ghz band, instead of the single band N2230 that originally came with the laptop. Please help me removing the whitelist of this BIOS.

Thank you in advance.

---------------------------------

EDIT by svl7:

Check this thread for the Y480 / Y580 BIOS mods:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

Hi svl7,

Could you please suggest a BIOS backup tool for that specific BIOS? If you have that tool, please do me a favor of providing a download link somewhere, since I am not allowed to download anything from this forum yet.

Sorry for bothering and thank you very much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi svl7,

Is this the thread you mentioned?

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

As soon as I had the dump of my bios, I tried that method. But using WinDiff, I saw a big difference between my dump bios and the Lenovo_Y500_BIOS_v1.05_Mod bios (file 13Y500.rom). This is understandable because my bios must contain unique hardware info of my laptop while 13Y500.rom contains unique hardware info of another laptop. But after using your Y500BiosFix.exe program, my dump bios and the fixed one (file 13Y500Fix.rom) also had a big difference, which I am not sure that's the case. Since I was expecting only a small change in the original bios to turn off the WLAN whitelist. This made me scared of bricking my laptop. I am attaching here the fixed bios generated by your Y500BiosFix.exe program. Could you please take a look at this and verify that it is safe to flash to my laptop's ROM?

Thank you very much for your help.

13Y500Fix.zip

As long as my program doesn't come up with an error you can go ahead and flash it. There's a reason for the apparently 'big difference' between the mod and the original bios, but explaining this is beyond the scope of this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a lot svl7! I flashed the modded bios today (using your v1.05, the same as my original's version) and it works like a charm. Now I'm using my Wifi Link 5100 AGN to post this thankful reply. For those who are skeptical to try because your laptop is Y400 instead of Y500, just go ahead and follow the instruction of svl7 in this thread.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod.html

Good luck to all and thank you again svl7.