SONY VAIO Series S 15 Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5976[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]5977[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5978[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5979[/ATTACH]

Model SVS151290X Specifications[H][/HR]3rd gen Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM quad-core processor (2.20GHz / 3.20GHz with Turbo Boost) Windows 8 64-bit 15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080) NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology 750GB (7200rpm) hard drive 8GB (4GB fixed onboard + 4GB removable) DDR3-1333MHz CD/DVD player / burner Internal lithium polymer battery (4400mAh)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5981[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5982[/ATTACH]
Optional Battery Sheet[H][/HR]Battery - Number of Cells : 6 (2p3s) Battery Capacity : 4400 mAh Battery Type : Lithium-ion Estimated Battery Life : Battery life will vary based on model configuration. Please see notebook spec sheet for specific battery life. Output Voltage : 11.1 V

Support Links [H][/HR]

Known Issues & Solutions
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

S15 owner here. Quick question for anybody with the sheet battery: how do they feel about the overall weight it adds? I don't mind the thickness so much, but I don't want to lose the portability that the S15 currently offers. I've read the sheet battery adds awesome battery life and I really would love to take advantage of that.

I do own the sheet battery. The weight it adds is not bad imo. You will be able to tell the difference with it attached. However, it still feels like a typical laptop with nothing attached (like those 15" thinkpads T series).

I have not stressed tested the sheet battery, but I remember it shows on Windows 8 as a separate battery, I think it will give you at least 50% more battery time, if not double, compared to the integrated one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do own the sheet battery. The weight it adds is not bad imo. You will be able to tell the difference with it attached. However, it still feels like a typical laptop with nothing attached (like those 15" thinkpads T series).

I have not stressed tested the sheet battery, but I remember it shows on Windows 8 as a separate battery, I think it will give you at least 50% more battery time, if not double, compared to the integrated one.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I'm sure I'll get one sooner or later but I'm definitely tempted to pick one up now. I just love the slim, sexy look of the stock profile--so I'd probably just use it for long trips or something of that sort.

This may sound like a stupid question, but how does the weight of the sheet battery compare to the power brick? I'm thinking I might be able to get away with not bringing my power brick in my bag on certain days if I have the sheet battery. In which case the weight would be a wash (for bag carrying purposes).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder

Just ordered this off Sony's site for myself using a Sony CC ($100 credit towards purchase):

Model Number: US-SVS151290X-LBOM VAIO S Series 15 Custom Laptop 1 $827.69
Customization Details

• Kaspersky® Internet Security (30-day trial)
  • 4GB (4GB fixed onboard + 1 open slot) DDR3-1333Mhz
  • CD/DVD player / burner
  • Internal lithium polymer battery (4400mAh)
  • No engraving
  • Black
  • 500GB (7200rpm) hard drive
  • 3rd gen Intel® Core™ i5-3210M processor (2.50GHz / 3.10GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • 15.5" LED backlit Full HD IPS display (1920 x 1080)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE (1GB) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
  • Windows 8 64-bit
  • Microsoft® Office 2010 trial version
  • No Fresh Start
  • Imagination Studio™ VAIO® Edition software

So the total cost was $888 after tax but with the $100 credit I'm gonna get, it's $788 total. Pretty sweet deal.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hello guys I am also an S15 owner and I am very pleased with the PC but I'm having some difficulties with the sound output. I bought astro a50 headset which are capable of 7.1 output and the sound card built in the S15 can also output 7.1, the problem is that the PC does not come with an optical port and thats the only way for the headset to get 7.1. I did some research and there's the possibility of converting the 3.5mm output to digital sound with a little box for about $20. Do you guys think this method will work? why did Sony made the S15 with a good sound card but with no capabilities of 7.1 output? Got any ideas?

thanks in advanced.

Hello Joker thanks for your interest in the subject. I was thinking of trying this converter:

Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink to Analog RCA Stereo Audio Converter Adapter DAC | eBay

I would buy buy the aux to white&red cable and plug it in the converter and then connected the optical cable to my headset mixamp. Do you think this could work?

---

Sorry I posted the wrong converter, this one should work:

Stereo RCA R L to Coaxial s PDIF Analog RCA to Digital Toslink Audio Converter | eBay

I bought the converter it should be at home any time soon, I also wanted to give you guys a link of the software/ hardware that comes with the pc regarding the audio which is Intel® High Definition Audio, Dolby® Home Theater® v4, xLOUD, Clear Phase.

Dolby Home Theater v4

Dolby Home Theater v4 PC Audio

Intel HD Audio

Intel® High Definition Audio

It clearly says it's 7.1 capable and that it also creates 5.1 or 7.1 sound from any two-channel input, will the converter I linked work at all? or does it need a converter with 8 channels to get the real 7.1 and not 2 channels? I am very confused :/

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...