Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Hi guys,

I would really like to flash the updated 8.1 vbios mod, but it's just my second post :(

Any news regarding the hd4000? yet no chances at all? I would like to use my Notebook without the "always-connected" AC-power :P

Thanks for all your efforts

okay so i just flashed my bios and there was an advertisement on my desktop upon restart................. wtf?

I flashed the modified 2.0.4 bios two days ago. It didn't fix my screen issue (I have since ordered a replacement LVDS cable to try) but it deffinately didn't give me any ad/malware. Also, in all the reading through this thread that I have done I do not see anybody else complaining about ads after flashing this BIOS mod. It may seem coincidental but my guess is that it somehow got installed prior to your reboot but it didn't manifest until after you restarted with the modified BIOS installed. There are several cleaning utlties available but for what it's worth I have had great luck with Malwarebytes and CCleaner.

Hmm, I'm running Linux on my Y500. Any ideas/tips on how to use the "official" v2.02 (current version is v1.03)? I guess the InsydeFlash.exe is meant to be run on Windows and not on (Free)DOS. Once updated to v2.02 I should be fine, I can use a different machine (running some version of Windows) to create the USB using the tools provided. Thanks.

[Edit]

Managed to do a Windows network boot at work, problem solved. Both flashes successful, posting this from my Y500 with a fresh Intel 7260 network controller. Cheers!

Any updates on flashing a custom BIOS on Y500 with 2 X GT 750M SLI running Windows 8.1? Would I be able to remove the whitelist to install my Intel AC 7260? Has anybody been able to OC your 2 X GT 750M SLI past the +135 limit as well as change voltage? From what I've read in this thread there's no solution to this issue so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I can confirm that the moded BIOS works and the whitelist has been removed. I already poped in my AC7260 and love it. However, I tried flashing VBIOS for my 750M SLI GPU and couldn't get it to work after. After VBIOS flash my computer doesn't recognize my 750M SLI GPU. The actual process of flashing the VBIOS went pretty smooth and I didn't have any problems with it, though I'm pretty sure I used the wrong VBIOS rom which was provided on the first page of this thread (link to the file http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/lenovo-ibm/8250d1373543023-y500-y400-sli-750m-80.07.9d.00.11-oc.zip)

So if anybody knows where to get the correct VBIOS rom for my 750M SLI GPU or if somebody could mod my VBIOS (see attached file) I would really appreciate if you can share it with me.

Thanks

I finally finished flashing my VBIOS with assistance from Klem, I had to ask him to mod my stock VBIOS so I could flash it onto my SLI GPU. Everything is stable and working great, now all that I have left is to figure out the most optimal and stable OC settings.

VBIOSBU.zip

Is there also a tutorial how to get back to original BIOS, in case of a warranty claim?

Flash the backup you took in the start using the backup tool with following command:

fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

Replace filename.bin with the name of your backup file.

I can confirm that the moded BIOS works and the whitelist has been removed. I already poped in my AC7260 and love it. However, I tried flashing VBIOS for my 750M SLI GPU and couldn't get it to work after. After VBIOS flash my computer doesn't recognize my 750M SLI GPU. The actual process of flashing the VBIOS went pretty smooth and I didn't have any problems with it, though I'm pretty sure I used the wrong VBIOS rom which was provided on the first page of this thread (link to the file http://forum.techinferno.com/attachments/lenovo-ibm/8250d1373543023-y500-y400-sli-750m-80.07.9d.00.11-oc.zip)

So if anybody knows where to get the correct VBIOS rom for my 750M SLI GPU or if somebody could mod my VBIOS (see attached file) I would really appreciate if you can share it with me.

Thanks

I finally finished flashing my VBIOS with assistance from Klem, I had to ask him to mod my stock VBIOS so I could flash it onto my SLI GPU. Everything is stable and working great, now all that I have left is to figure out the most optimal and stable OC settings.

Is this both modded bios or just the flash for modded bios for the SLI fix?

Dear svl7, many many thanks for this modified bios for my Y500. I just updated my 1.03 system to 2.04 without any problems. I now can order a new wlan adapter.

I will buy you some beers for this great work.

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

soooooooooooooooooooooooooo iwas just playing payday2 after a couple of days that i modded the bios on the ultra bay gpu anddddddddddddd the graphic's ingame took a shit with weird effects and other crap happening then it was all dark with outlines it then had some green lines and gun effects everywhere lol looked freaky i went to nvidia control panel to disable and re-enable sli so the disable worked............................... now I can't re-enable it i open'd it up to see the fan spinning and i can make it spin with the lenovo energy management app but thats it it isn't detected in anything now

tl:dr my ultrabay gpu isn't being recognized anywhere after vbios mod can't enable sli or anything

soooooooooooooooooooooooooo iwas just playing payday2 after a couple of days that i modded the bios on the ultra bay gpu anddddddddddddd the graphic's ingame took a shit with weird effects and other crap happening then it was all dark with outlines it then had some green lines and gun effects everywhere lol looked freaky i went to nvidia control panel to disable and re-enable sli so the disable worked............................... now I can't re-enable it i open'd it up to see the fan spinning and i can make it spin with the lenovo energy management app but thats it it isn't detected in anything now

tl:dr my ultrabay gpu isn't being recognized anywhere after vbios mod can't enable sli or anything

Don't know if this helps, but perhaps these instructions will work: Y500: SLI is not working after Windows 8.1 upgrade - Lenovo Community

• 2 weeks later...

Hey the bios mod worked great, but I have a problem... I changed my settings in my bios afterwards and my computer powers on for a few seconds and then powers off. It does that for about five times and then powers on and stays on but the screen stays blank. So I'm wondering if someone can tell me how to reset my bios to default or flash it back or something. And if it can't be done, can I be directed to where I can purchase a board? Thanks in advance. And again, wonderful mod.

Hey Guys!

I asking your helps I got a y500with 1.1.0 bios version. I flash it a years ago now without any problem. But now I am just checking the options on the bios try to enabled the internal gpu, I reamove the ultrabay and playing with the settings in the internal graphics option. And now when I hit the power button the laptop starting then after 3 second shut down then repeat. I cant find any way to reset the bios to the default settings thats why I asking to your helps guys.

all my faith in you guys

- - - Updated - - -

I have exactly the same problem with my y500 like Lizzo. looking for some1 who can help resetting the bios.

Maybe I can donate if someone can help