Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I am curious as to how the problem lies in the VBIOS if SLI functions in earlier drivers (>=320.49) but not newer ones. I'm not knowledgeable about how the hardware and software interact to cause this problem, but if older software works then it seems like nvidia could patch, rather than requiring Lenovo (and, subsequently for us, svl7) to release updated VBIOS revisions.

I am aware that this is niche enough that nvidia may not know about/decide to commit resources to this problem, as it only seems to affect the Y400/Y500 series as far as my research has seen, but it seems like it would be patchable - anyone know why it isn't? I'm just curious.

Thank you for this guide. It really went without a hitch for me except for a little confusion as to whether I needed to flash the first video card. The bios is much more capable, and I am not getting the wireless black listing problem any more. Too bad there was so much hassle just to get the forums to even let me download a file; its incredibly discouraging and feels like a scam especially when there is monetization just to temporarily lift the limitations.

*EDIT*

I have started having some issues now after moving over to 8.1 and updating all my drivers. Secure boot seems to be removed from the bios, or at least I can not find it, but Windows detects that secure boot is not configured correctly (and I suspect that may be the cause of my problems). In addition to this, I did update the bios on my SLI card, and I have flashed it back to the backup but irregardless of the bios, it is reporting errors and SLI is not available.

How do I enable secure boot again, or where is it located now?

*EDIT 2*

Found a hotfix to remove the watermark here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-81-secureboot-isnt-configured-correctly-watermark-finally-removed-hotfix-kb2902864

*EDIT 3*

Alright, apparently for once Lenovo is on top of this. There is a update to the vga bios that fixes SLI on windows 8.1

650m: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038405

750m: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038406

I am certain that I will be locked in to a lower clock again, but having my second GPU working is much more important.

Throttlestop has a profile system where you can store up to 4 sets of clock speeds & other CPU settings (like BD PROCHOT) as well as user configurable hotkeys to activate the profiles (I use Shift+Ctrl 1-4). So, for instance I've set the clock speeds to the following:

Profile 1: 800mhz + Power saving settings

Profile 2: 1.5ghz + Power saving settings

Profile 3: 3ghz (turbo) constant

Profile 4: 3.2ghz (turbo) constant

You can also have the program automatically choose a profile based on battery level, and even CPU/GPU temperature. For instance, When my CPU reaches 95C, throttlestop will drop to profile 1. When my GPU gets to 85C, it drops the CPU clock to profile 1. When my battery hits 10%, it drops to Profile 1 to give me a bit more battery time. Throttlestop can also trigger profiles based on whether you are on AC/Battery power. When I plug in my power cable, my laptop runs on profile 3. When I pull it, it drops to profile 2.

I've flased my bios and I'm very happy with it. Full credits to svl7 and jester_socom many thanks for the auto overclock mod. You both turned my Y500 in a real beauty. Before the flash I played Crysis 3 in a low resolution and low settings, now a can play it in 1080P with high settings. It's really awesome... :woot:

Now I want to learn more about TrottleStop. These settings are realy guenius, but before I begin I want to know more about it. Where can I find more info about TrottleStop. And which tests can I use to test out the temps and safety, so I can use it without worring about killing my rig. Also what kind of programs do you guys use ingame to determine temps...

Hi Guys,

I've noticed that in the 2.04 sv17 bios mod, under Video settings, there's the "IGD Enable" voice (Integrated Graphic Device)...

is set to Auto-Selected...

but switching it to ENABLED, when I try to start my y500, it won't reach the win8 user login screen, right after the BIOS loading... is that normal? could it be that parameter, disabling the gt650, that could finally solve our problems? (stupid question?)

thanks in advance

*EDIT 3*

Alright, apparently for once Lenovo is on top of this. There is a update to the vga bios that fixes SLI on windows 8.1

650m: NVIDIA GeForce GT650M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y400, Y500

750m: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS038406

I am certain that I will be locked in to a lower clock again, but having my second GPU working is much more important.

Thanks for this - I can confirm the SLI fix on the Y400 with the 650M.

I am curious as to how the problem lies in the VBIOS if SLI functions in earlier drivers (>=320.49) but not newer ones. I'm not knowledgeable about how the hardware and software interact to cause this problem, but if older software works then it seems like nvidia could patch, rather than requiring Lenovo (and, subsequently for us, svl7) to release updated VBIOS revisions.

I am aware that this is niche enough that nvidia may not know about/decide to commit resources to this problem, as it only seems to affect the Y400/Y500 series as far as my research has seen, but it seems like it would be patchable - anyone know why it isn't? I'm just curious.

320.49 was the last non-WDDM 1.3 enabled driver, that's why the 2nd card starts up on it (but as you know it has an awful lot of problems anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

320.49 was the last non-WDDM 1.3 enabled driver, that's why the 2nd card starts up on it (but as you know it has an awful lot of problems anyway).

Exactly. Every GeForce driver after this had official Windows 8.1 and WDDM 1.3 support, that's why SLI was broken until the vBIOS update.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've figured out what stress tools to use but Furmark only stress one GPU the second doesn't kick in. I tried the tips on the web but no luck, it drives me mad...

PS I'm not using W8.1 and I have the latest NVIDIA driver 331.65

[TIPS] How to Enable SLI and CrossFire Support for OpenGL Applications | Geeks3D

The next step is to configure ThrottleStop and I read the OP of uncleweb but I'm realy lost. A few minutes ago I send him a PM and asked him to start a new thread for us Y500 users. If someone can help me out to configure ThrottleStop it will really be tremendous.

Yesterday I've tested my CPU and GPU with Crysis 3 running for 30 minutes. I've tested the Y500 with and without the backplate. And with the backplate on things where kooking inside especially the GPU. I'm using a Zalman laptop cooler but the cooleringfan has no results with the backplate on. I looked at where the coolingfan is mounted but the fan of the cooler and of fans of the Y500 are not facing each other. I will try to order a new backplate for modding and hopefully I can bring the temps down.

Results with backplate:

CPU 82C

GPU 93C

Results without backplate:

CPU 73C

GPU 77C

I've figured out what stress tools to use but Furmark only stress one GPU the second doesn't kick in. I tried the tips on the web but no luck, it drives me mad...

PS I'm not using W8.1 and I have the latest NVIDIA driver 331.65

[TIPS] How to Enable SLI and CrossFire Support for OpenGL Applications | Geeks3D

The next step is to configure ThrottleStop and I read the OP of uncleweb but I'm realy lost. A few minutes ago I send him a PM and asked him to start a new thread for us Y500 users. If someone can help me out to configure ThrottleStop it will really be tremendous.

Don't use FurMark. SLI doesn't work in it and it will kill your GPU. Unigine Heaven is a much better program.

These are the ThrottleStop settings I use for maximum performance:

post-10698-14494996339529_thumb.png

It will also produce the maximum heat. If it causes your CPU to overheat, which is likely if you haven't repasted, you can lower the maximum clock speed by setting the multiplier lower than Turbo, or checking Disable Turbo which will turn off Turbo Boost and prevent your CPU from exceeding 2.4 GHz.

Yesterday I've tested my CPU and GPU with Crysis 3 running for 30 minutes. I've tested the Y500 with and without the backplate. And with the backplate on things where kooking inside especially the GPU. I'm using a Zalman laptop cooler but the cooleringfan has no results with the backplate on. I looked at where the coolingfan is mounted but the fan of the cooler and of fans of the Y500 are not facing each other. I will try to order a new backplate for modding and hopefully I can bring the temps down.

Results with backplate:

CPU 82C

GPU 93C

Results without backplate:

CPU 73C

GPU 77C

You should repaste if you haven't done so already.

Don't use FurMark. SLI doesn't work in it and it will kill your GPU. Unigine Heaven is a much better program.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9414[/ATTACH]

It will also produce the maximum heat. If it causes your CPU to overheat, which is likely if you haven't repasted, you can lower the maximum clock speed by setting the multiplier lower than Turbo, or checking Disable Turbo which will turn off Turbo Boost and prevent your CPU from exceeding 2.4 GHz.

Thanks for your help but i can't see the settings because the image is to small. And do you use more profiles in ThrottleStop if so please ad those to...

Thanks a million

Thanks for your help but i can't see the settings because the image is to small. And do you use more profiles in ThrottleStop if so please ad those to...

Thanks a million

Fixed.

That's the only ThrottleStop profile I use.

i would like to install the modded bios created by svl7. Sure with this bios and gpu clock (i 've read on other forum something like 1200 Mhz gpu rate) will better the gaming performance of my laptop, but will not overheat eg after 2 hours of gameplay with Crysis 2 FHD ultra? Any experiences about it?

Is it safe to use turboboost 24/7?

It's not Turbo Boosting 24/7. It downclocks into one of the super low-power C-States just fine when idling or at low load. It's just that when the CPU is supposed to be fired up it's running at its maximum speed to ensure best performance in games and applications.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9416[/ATTACH]

Which thermal paste did you use to get so low and what do you use to clean the surface. Should I repaste the Ultrabay GPU...

Thank you for all your help

Which thermal paste did you use to get so low and what do you use to clean the surface. Should I repaste the Ultrabay GPU...

Thank you for all your help

I used OCZ Freeze and IC Diamond. It doesn't really matter what thermal paste you use, all of them perform pretty much the same. I suggest Arctic MX-4 because it's easy to apply and relatively cheap. Proper application is the most important thing. Completely clean the surface of the die with some rubbing alcohol and q-tips and then put a small ball or line of paste in the middle depending on whether the die is rectangular or square. Without spreading the paste, press the heatsink straight down on it, wiggling left to right a little if possible to facilitate spreading.

You should consider repasting the components that are overheating. Your ability and comfort level with disassembling the laptop also factors into this. The Ultrabay GPU is much easier to disassemble and repaste. Getting to the CPU and main GPU require a fair bit of disassembly. You have to take off the bottom cover, keyboard, and palmrest and remove the motherboard from the chassis.

applied the mod last night and start to overclocking my cpu and graphic cards~ cpu running at full speed 3.17Ghz without problem~ and graphic cards are running at 13++Mhz without problems~ significant increase in speed and performance thanks to you~ haha~ cheers~