Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Something someone mentioned a few pages back is fan control, using Lenovo Energy Management and using its dust cleaner makes it clear the fans have a lot more oomph to them if only we can control them. Any ideas?

kazekai. I think you can mod your own BIOS. I tried it this morning but I don't know yet how to. I am exercising on my ultrabay gpu. Im trying to mod mine to a 750M.

So far:

- overvolting doesn't seem to work.

I will let you know if I figure out to change the clocks.

Just got my Y500 GT 750m and I love this thing. Checking to see if anyone has figured out of the 750m is just an overclocked 650m yet or what the deal is. It's pretty impressive what you guys have done with this laptop :)

Also anyone have a good NIC they can recommend? This one seems kinda meh

It would be interesting to know if it could be possible to "magically" convert our 650 SLI to a 750 SLI (if everything hardware wise is the same, of course).

As long as the 650M can handle the increased voltage of the 750M, which isn't guaranteed. 750M could be binned higher.

Is there a way to keep the clocks at its overclocked clocks? It keeps dropping lower for my 750Ms :(

Could be because of thermal issues.

I still have not attempted this, lol. I need to get a laptop computer chillier to offset the heat spike certain to come with the actual voltage configurations from the 750m, assuming the actual expensive functions
I still haven't tried it, lol. I need to get a laptop cooler to mitigate the temperature spike sure to come with the voltage settings of the 750m, assuming the flash works...

You guys should check these two out:

Logisys Computer Wind Pal Black Laptop Cooler Pad Model NP88BK - Newegg.com

Logisys Computer Dual 140mm Fan Aluminum Laptop Cooling Pad Model NP8 - Newegg.com

These look really nice. I bought the first one and it should be coming tomorrow. I can give my impressions if you guys are interested. Hopefully it works a lot better than my old laptop cooler which pushes a pitiful amount of air. 1 x 140 mm fan at 1000 RPM and 32 CFM is barely enough to feel a breeze in your hand. That black one I bought is 2x140 mm fans at 1200 +/- 120 RPM with 115 CFM which should be a massive improvement in cooling efficiency and should hopefully help my CPU run a bit cooler. Those specs are better than other laptop coolers costing twice as much so it's a great deal. The aluminum cooler looks really well designed and sturdy but it is heavier and I need to be able to carry it around in my backpack. Plus, it's got lethally sharp corners and the reviews say people have been making themselves bleed because of it LOL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically does anyone know how to lock the clock speeds? I've seen it done on 650Ms. Would appreciate it greatly if someone can make a batch file or something that allows the clocks to lock lol.

EDIT: Figured it out, nevermind. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as the 650M can handle the increased voltage of the 750M, which isn't guaranteed. 750M could be binned higher.

Could be because of thermal issues.

You guys should check these two out:

Logisys Computer Wind Pal Black Laptop Cooler Pad Model NP88BK - Newegg.com

Logisys Computer Dual 140mm Fan Aluminum Laptop Cooling Pad Model NP8 - Newegg.com

These look really nice. I bought the first one and it should be coming tomorrow. I can give my impressions if you guys are interested. Hopefully it works a lot better than my old laptop cooler which pushes a pitiful amount of air. 1 x 140 mm fan at 1000 RPM and 32 CFM is barely enough to feel a breeze in your hand. That black one I bought is 2x140 mm fans at 1200 +/- 120 RPM with 115 CFM which should be a massive improvement in cooling efficiency and should hopefully help my CPU run a bit cooler. Those specs are better than other laptop coolers costing twice as much so it's a great deal. The aluminum cooler looks really well designed and sturdy but it is heavier and I need to be able to carry it around in my backpack. Plus, it's got lethally sharp corners and the reviews say people have been making themselves bleed because of it LOL.

Yeah I have the aluminum one and shortly after buying it I noticed I had random cuts on my hands and arms xP. I'd suggest taking a sander or something to the corners if you get this one. They machine it SHARP.

The intel graphics haven't been enabled, despite the option in the bios. Unfortunately it sounds like a hardware issue from what I've read, so we probably won't ever have Optimus switching with these laptops. Oh well.

Optimus will never work unless Lenovo adds the necessary hardware, which would probably drive up the cost of this machine.

Yeah I have the aluminum one and shortly after buying it I noticed I had random cuts on my hands and arms xP. I'd suggest taking a sander or something to the corners if you get this one. They machine it SHARP.

Ouch!

Newegg is also selling the black aluminum one since the white one is discontinued but I got the black plastic one because it is more portable so I can carry it around in a backpack without adding too much bulk or scratching up everything with those lethal corners. It just arrived today and even though the is build kind of flimsy it moves way more air than my previous cooler did and is actually dropping my max CPU temp by 5-7C when gaming which is really reassuring as I was getting close to 100C in BF3.

I was following the steps to upgrade to the 2.02 unlocked BIOS, but there is no 2.02 Unlocked BIOS file on the first page.

What is the most current BIOS/Unlocked BIOS? I bought a new WLAN card and I'd like to be able to use it.

I even spent $5 to show my support, but come to find out I can't even get the file I need?

I was following the steps to upgrade to the 2.02 unlocked BIOS, but there is no 2.02 Unlocked BIOS file on the first page.

What is the most current BIOS/Unlocked BIOS? I bought a new WLAN card and I'd like to be able to use it.

I even spent $5 to show my support, but come to find out I can't even get the file I need?

svl7 didn't put it in the OP yet because it is still undergoing testing by users, but it's still available in the original post: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-57.html#post49733

If you couldn't find it all you had to do was look through the attachments from this thread. Just sayin'...

svl7 didn't put it in the OP yet because it is still undergoing testing by users, but it's still available in the original post: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2874-lenovo-y400-y500-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-57.html#post49733

If you couldn't find it all you had to do was look through the attachments from this thread. Just sayin'...

Well I started at page one and went all the way through page 40 before I posted. I wasn't aware of any way to view all of the attachments in the thread, as I just created an account on here last night.

Thanks for the links.

Svl7 i found a tool to mod the 650m and 750m vbuis. Its called kepler bios tweaker. It allows to increase voltages and clocks

Change the base clock with that tool to 790.5 and the clock reporting bug is fixed.

I Have tested overvolting and overclocking. Sadly enough the core overclock doesnt work but the memory does. I dont know anything else all i did was clicking things :P