Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Thanks for the quick reply. I seem to be getting the same error in the info.txt:

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if this matters or not since there's a fixed version but this is what I get when using the original fparts file:

Intel (R) Flash Programming Tool. Version: 8.0.10.1464
Copyright (c) 2007 - 2012, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel(R) HM76 Express Chipset
Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---
MX25L3205D ID:0xC22016 Size: 4096KB (32768Kb)
W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices do not have compatible command sets.

It worked! I haven't gone through the rest of the steps yet but with the new fix, I finally got the backup working. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Followed the rest of the steps and everything worked perfectly. Happy to say I'm posting this while connected to WiFi on a 5GHz band thanks to my now unlocked bios. Thanks again, svl7.

Error 200: Invalid parameter value specified by user. Use -? option to see help.

what does this mistake mean? I can't make a nickname the copy Bios

- - - Updated - - -

it turns out nothing, I am very afflicted! ! ! !

- - - Updated - - -

svl7 by means of what program, it is necessary to do Bios copy? and how to start it? I have problems with transfer a post 1

You simply run the backup.bat as admin, this will create a backup of your bios.

Some badly designed anti-virus software block the PCIe driver, so you might need to temporarily disable the protection.

You simply run the backup.bat as admin, this will create a backup of your bios.

Some badly designed anti-virus software block the PCIe driver, so you might need to temporarily disable the protection.

and how to learn, what Bios is successfully copied? I disconnected avast antivirus, but all the same it turns out nothing ((

- - - Updated - - -

I start backup.bat with the rights of the administrator, to a fraction of a second there is a window, and occurs nothing, and has to be and where then Bios copy has to lie?

- - - Updated - - -

and what you will advise to make?

But even with 310.90 still have to use the .bat files to force P-states which is a really cumbersome way to overclock since you have to manually switch to the lower power states or else you're running at full clocks and voltage 24/7

Not cumbersome at all if you setup a couple of simple batch files :)

One to force pstate and set clocks, one to revert back to defaults. Then just slap a short cut to your taskbar or start menu and you're set, one click on or off.

Disappointing to hear that on the SLI bit, but could be worse, still a smoking laptop either way with the older drives +OC or newer driver and minimal OC

One to force pstate and set clocks, one to revert back to defaults. Then just slap a short cut to your taskbar or start menu and you're set, one click on or off.

Disappointing to hear that on the SLI bit, but could be worse, still a smoking laptop either way with the older drives +OC or newer driver and minimal OC

Well I'm lazy so anything that's not set it and forget it is too much work for me. ;)

I don't think the new drivers make much of a difference, so as of now the old drivers are just fine, and more functional for overclockers :P.

When I run the backup.bat both by the DOS windows when I get the msg Error 104: The 2 SPI flash devices not have the compatible command sets.

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Well... to be honest, you didn't read the first post properly I'd say. If you did use the error 104 fix, then let me know.

hi.

i've just flashed v1.05 but gpu core clock still doesnt rises higher than 790Mhz

Maby i should change smth in bios?

i used nvidia inspector and msi afterburner.latest drives

I didn't modify the vbios of the 1.05, so if you want to use the modified vbios then you would have to flash to the stock v2.02 and then apply the modified 2.02.

I upgraded to v2.02 mod was going to see the support for the 1866MHz memory corsair however it did not work, from what I saw in 2 places bios appear related to memory where we can change, one is the speed in mhz and another is NMode Support I tested both changing all forms and notebook kept having problems with this memory, unfortunately I will have to go back to 1600mhz

I upgraded to v2.02 mod was going to see the support for the 1866MHz memory corsair however it did not work, from what I saw in 2 places bios appear related to memory where we can change, one is the speed in mhz and another is NMode Support I tested both changing all forms and notebook kept having problems with this memory, unfortunately I will have to go back to 1600mhz

I don't think this CPU can natively run anything faster than DDR3-1600 without some kind of workaround, which it looks like this machine doesn't have. Look at Intel's spec sheet.

Unless you're using integrated graphics I don't think you'll get any benefit form faster RAM. I'd be surprised if you saw even a 5% increase in anything.

This is continuation of this thread (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/2690-lenovo-y500-unlocked-bios.html) with all the necessary information in the first post in order to make it easier to find all the stuff.

Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - 'unlocked' BIOS / wwan-wlan whitelist removal

NOTE: The Y400 and Y500 use the same BIOS, so even if the files are named "Y500", you're save to use it on your Y400.

The Lenovo Y500 comes with a pretty locked down BIOS, and in addition to this with a whitelist which prevents the user from getting 3rd-party wwan/wlan cards to work properly. The modified BIOS versions here will take care of this. Keep in mind that not necessarily all options available in the modified bios will work. Some might not do anything at all, others could possibly leave your system in a state which will prevent it from booting. Use care when changing stuff in the modified bios, don't touch things you're not familiar with. Use all the mods and software posted here on your own risk. Read the instructions carefully.

NOTE: This will only flash the bios region. It won't reset the nvars set in the bios.

ONLY FLASH A MOD OF THE SAME VERSION AS YOUR CURRENT BIOS VERSION!!!

Attached you'll find modified versions of the Y400 / Y500 BIOS v1.03 and v1.05.

The bios contains your Windows 8 license, therefore you can't just flash any file, else you'll have issue with your Windows activation. Furthermore the serial numbers, service tags etc. are stored there as well. You don't want to loose them.

I wrote a little program that will take care of this issue and personalize the modified bios for you, so that you won't end up with an invalid Windows or no service tags.

Instructions:

• Prepare an USB stick which can boot DOS. If you don't know how to do this, follow this short guide:

Guide by @StamatisX - thanks!

• Download the flash tool, for flashing you'll need the DOS version, but for creating the backup of your current BIOS the Win64 version will do as well, and it is faster. Get the prr tool as well.
  • Grab the modified BIOS you want to flash and the Y500BiosFix tool.
  • Create a backup of your current BIOS using the flash tool you downloaded (first step) by runing the included backup.bat, or by using the Win or Dos version flash tool with this command:

-d BackupBiosY500.bin -bios

• Make sure you have the modified bios which you want to flash, the bios backup you just created and the Y500BiosFix tool in the same folder. Run the Y500BiosFix tool, follow the instructions on the screen. Make sure to enter the name of the files correctly. It will create a new file for you and will be named after the modified bios file you specified, with 'Fix' appended to it.

Here's a screenshot of the tool in use. In the case shown here it will create a file called "modifiedBiosFix.bin" which you can find in the folder where you run the tool. Use that one for flashing.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5938[/ATTACH]

• Put the fixed BIOS, the prr.exe tool and the fpt.exe (along with the fparts.txt file) on the root of your prepared DOS bootable USB drive, restart your system and boot from that drive.
  • Execut the prr.exe, if you don't get an error message continue by pressing enter. Then flash the bios by using this command (filename.bin obviously needs to be replaced with the name of the file you want to flash). If you can't remember the name of your file, use the command dir to display all the files on your drive. Flash with this:
    fpt.exe -f filename.bin -bios

NOTE: The name of the BIOS file mustn't exceed eight characters (not counting the extension)! That's a DOS limit, so make sure the name of your file isn't too long.
    Wait until the process is done. After flashing it will verify the data, in case there's something wrong with the flashed data it will tell you. In that case don't reboot, just flash again.

It might look a bit complicated at first, but that's the easiest way I could think of. Let me know if anything is unclear.

>> Here's the 'buy me a beer' link in case you like this :) <<

Use at your own risk, you are responsible for your system and the changes you make on it. My programs come with absolutely no warranty to the extent permitted by applicable law.

i can't install new wifi(n6300) card on y500, can you help me?

how to download Lenovo_Y500_BIOS_v1.05_Mod.zip (2.19 MB, 123 views)

thanks!