Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Contact svl7, he might have a few tricks up his sleeve, otherwise you're SOL. There's a reason you keep that backup in a safe place. If you need to send the laptop in to Lenovo for service, set a BIOS password and lock it so the techs can't go in and see that it has a modded BIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

well im not really sure if I need to flash original maybe you can help. I am trading my y500 for my buddys desktop computer. He said he plans on taking out the ultrabay gpu and addign an SSD and to remove windows 8 and install windows 7. Can he do that without risking anything since the bios are modded or does removing 8 and adding 7 have nothing to do and all should be good?

So i've read through the forums now and there were a lot of requests for updated bios on several different topics for 8.1 750M versions of the y500. Were the bios downloads on the 1st post updated for this to work with 8.1? I still can't find confirmation. Thanks!

So i've read through the forums now and there were a lot of requests for updated bios on several different topics for 8.1 750M versions of the y500. Were the bios downloads on the 1st post updated for this to work with 8.1? I still can't find confirmation. Thanks!

No, they are not updated and wont work with 8.1.

No, they are not updated and wont work with 8.1.

Weird, because I took a chance and I'm running the flashed bios on 8.1. it's working great. So for anyone else out there who has this same question. They WILL work on 8.1 and I'm on my newly flashed laptop confirming this. :)

Weird, because I took a chance and I'm running the flashed bios on 8.1. it's working great. So for anyone else out there who has this same question. They WILL work on 8.1 and I'm on my newly flashed laptop confirming this. :)

Apparently as soon as you update drivers - SLI will be turned off and you wont be able to turn it on again, you'll need to flash it over and over again.

Apparently as soon as you update drivers - SLI will be turned off and you wont be able to turn it on again, you'll need to flash it over and over again.

Surprisingly enough, I already had SLI configuration set with 8.1 a while back. I have SLI still and have been running all my games no problem with both video cards set. I'm good to go.

Did you flash ultrabay GPU with stock lenovo BIOS beforehand?

Yes, I did that when they first came out with the official vbios update. That was a quick and easy fix at the time. I've only started modding my y500 after they offered no help to me when my HD crashed and lost the factory restore/backups wouldn't work.

A side question: Do you use any external cooling for your y500? Thanks!

@angelmg86 If you update Nvidia driver or disable SLI, it will break and you need to reflash Lenovo 8.1 vBIOS and modded vBIOS to get SLI back.

@DARKWORLD Congrats on breaking my 3DMark 11 top score that stood for 4 months. :)

Octiceps,

Thanks for the advice. I wish I would have saw this before I took a chance on updating the drivers today.

Results: Enabled SLI after clean install of newly released Nvidia Drivers: still running SLI and getting good results in FFXIV. I haven't had any issues. Maybe Slv7 fixed this? I should prob flash the updated vbios that Slv7 gave us too, but at the moment..I'm not having any issues.

Would you follow, if it isn't broken, don't fix it? What would be the end results of running the hacked bios on the main board, and the updated lenovo bios on the card? No issues at all so far...as I can see :)

- - - Updated - - -

Current setup I'm running: Nvidia drivers updated today to 344.11. Hacked 2.04 bios on main board, Official vbios for 8.1 SLI from Lenovo on external video card. I'm also running windows 8.1 pro.

Tested out the disable/enable even after updating drivers and still able to have both options. Clicked apply to each to test this out. I don't know if this is any bit helpful for others, but I don't seem to have the bug that breaks the SLI configuration.

Oh you're not running the modded vBIOS from the first post of this thread on the second card? That's why it didn't break. I had assumed you already flashed it. The official Lenovo 8.1 vBIOS is fine and won't break, it just doesn't have unlocked OC limit and voltage control.

• Thumbs Up 1

@octiceps Ahh!! Makes perfect sense! Nah, I'm not interested in unlocking my OC limit. I don't have a warranty (and I'm in between jobs). Thanks for clearing this up! I just wanted a new NIC...because as we all know Lenovo's POS cost cutback is causing us all issues with internet.

Thanks again for the guidance. I'll spread some beer money around when I finally get my first check starting next month. :)

Also, for those that are just now coming to redoing their bios, I found a video that I was asking about earlier. Should help save you time going through 185 pages.

Link: http://vimeo.com/70640052

@octiceps Could you walk me through how you installed your 7260 Dual-band NIC? I attempted to update the old intel one in this computer tonight and I ran into some really funky issues. As soon as I put the old card back into my laptop, everything was great again. Maybe we can take it to PM? or even skype or something...because I'm not sure what's causing the issues of not having any connections seen by the 7260 AC NIC. Please help!

Can you elaborate which issues specifically you ran into? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel wireless driver.

I put in my AC 7260 right before I wiped my Windows 8 installation and did a clean install of Windows 7. Everything worked fine after drivers were installed.

Can you elaborate which issues specifically you ran into? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel wireless driver.

I put in my AC 7260 right before I wiped my Windows 8 installation and did a clean install of Windows 7. Everything worked fine after drivers were installed.

Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't notified that you had responded.

So, I turned off my computer. Popped the card in, and windows 8.1 recognized the card instantly. Everythings looking great...except for the fact that NO connections were being detected at all. When I clicked on properties. It was blank. I uninstalled the driver, and re-installed it manually from Intel. Still no luck. I plug in the Ethernet cable and everything works!

I spent an hour and a half uninstalling, restarting, re-installing, repairing the driver. I also changed around the advanced settings from auto to 20hz and just random things to see if anything worked to get the kinks out of it. I really don't want to have to re-install windows 8.1 pro at the moment. I'm just unsure why a simple plug and play NIC isn't working. If you'd like I could put the new NIC back into the computer and could try to solve this via Ethernet...I'm just unsure what the problem is.

Thanks!

@octiceps

I've had 80+ views on my thread and to no avail. Here's some images to support everything. Hopefully you could help, I'm very willing to donate enough cash for a good bottle of whiskey or a 12 pack of some decent beer to anyone who can help me with this issue. Thanks in advance!

post-29802-14494998433706_thumb.png

post-29802-14494998433173_thumb.png

Did you accidentally disable WLAN Autoconfig?

I apologize about the late reply. It's been a rough work week. I haven't disabled anything. I ordered another card thinking it might be the card...with no results. A friend of mine said try the windows 7 drivers, and haven't had any results either. I pop back in the old card, and it disables it, when I enable it after startup everything works again. I'm stuck using the factory wireless NIC.

Did you accidentally disable WLAN Autoconfig?

@octiceps

I looked into and did more research on what you asked about. My WLAN Autoconfig is running. See below pictures for more information on what I'm viewing when putting this wireless card in. I'm not sure what's causing this. Please please please help, I'll def. compensate you for your time. Thanks!!

These are shots showing WLAN autoconfig runs, and the other is the properties of each network connection on the 8.1 interface when you click each type of connection (wireless & LAN). I can show you the difference on my 2233 card if you want. This just doesn't make sense. It's the second card I've put in. Should I reflash bios?

post-29802-14494998512503_thumb.png

post-29802-14494998512178_thumb.png