Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

I have a question, you can make a little instruction movie and put it on youtube, because I do not understand the bios mod thing step by step

it's easier if someone explain to me step by step and i live in holland therefore it is difficult for me

I just set a new 3dmark record :pride: although It did not save to my account because I did not delete my previous one and I did not pay for the pro version; and for some reason it was submitted twice. Anyway here is the link.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,LENOVO INVALID

Wooh finally someone broke my record. What clock and what voltages are you running?

I am selling my Y500 soon so I won't be oc'ing on it anymore, if not I will really try to break that score. :friendly_wink:

Nice, that's pretty awesome. With my 650M SLI my highest is P5228, currently sitting at #3 on the list for 650M systems. Clocks were 1260/2250 @ 1.137 V. Not practical for everyday usage because the GPU's will get up to 97-98 C and start throttling, so I use it just for benching. At my everday clocks of 1120/2250 temperatures are 20 C lower. It's crazy how much extra heat is generated when you bump up the voltage.

Is your Y500 the replaced Y500? What happened to the one with problems?

I can't wait to try this flash! I'm getting a y400 from Ebay in the next week. I was conflicted for like a week debating whether to get the y400 or y410p but I think I'm glad I chose the y400...the y410p has no modded bios yet!!! Also, I'm still an amateur at flashing bios...I've only done it once before and that was way back when...but does anyone have any recommendations on 3rd party wwan/wlan cards for the y400? I'm guessing that its a huge plus to use your own choice...I just don't know whats good for the price. Any recommendations would be appreciated feel free to respond back or PM me thanks!

Is your Y500 the replaced Y500? What happened to the one with problems?

Yes this is the replacement unit. I returned the defective one of course.

How could you guys get 7500~ Physics score on 3D Mark 11 ?

Every time I try, I get only 5500~ Physics score, please help...

You need to use ThrottleStop.

So what's the deal with this throttlestop thing? I don't think any intel processors would throttle their frequencies when something intensive like 3Dmark is running, so why is this program necessary? Also, is the 2.04 BIOS update for the 750m available for download from the front page, or do I have to look through the forum? Thanks :)

I believe according to chmod1337 in a reply to me he said the BIOS mod posted works for the y500 750sli no problem. the 2.04 BIOS posted is a Modded version of the stock 2.04 bios unlocking locked features (make a back up! if you decide to flash) because it does void your warranty with lenovo and you'll lose your Win8 Slic license.

So what's the deal with this throttlestop thing? I don't think any intel processors would throttle their frequencies when something intensive like 3Dmark is running, so why is this program necessary? Also, is the 2.04 BIOS update for the 750m available for download from the front page, or do I have to look through the forum? Thanks :)

In theory they should only throttle when running on battery mode, to save battery life and prolong it. However what I saw is that they also throttle to save and prolong the quality life of the processor even when adaptor is plugged. Basically is a safety measure.

In theory they should only throttle when running on battery mode, to save battery life and prolong it. However what I saw is that they also throttle to save and prolong the quality life of the processor even when adaptor is plugged. Basically is a safety measure.

Alright I guess that makes sense. Never had a processor die on me before though. I've been running an AMD Athlon II x4 620 for the past four years, and it's been overclocked from 2.6 to 3.4 GHZ for the entire time. I wish Intel would give us an option to manually engage turbo boost whenever we want.

do these bioses (sp) help with anything other than whitelisting? meaning i have a y500 with 2.00 bios, and the 2.6GHZ cpu and no ssd. I bought it this way because I knew I would be upgrading the ssd anyway so why not get speed and no waste right?

anyway, the machine sometimes does not recognize the msata, and won't boot. to fix this, i either change the bios back to EUFI (or whatever it is) from legacy, and back again. this seems to work...

I know the msata works, because i have windows 7 installed on it and it runs great. it just sometimes doesn't boot right away. I was looking for something that might fix that?

Thanks for any feedback

QM

Could someone lend a little help? I've flashed the modded 2.04 bios on my y500, and now I'm trying to flash the overclock file for the SLI 750m. I have the appropriate rom on the root of my flash drive (named 750.rom), however when I run the "nvflash -i1 -6 750.rom" it shows a few lines of text and then ends with an Error message: "A newer version of NVflash is required." Has anyone else experienced this message before? If so, how could I get around it? Thanks. Also, are there any settings worth modifying in the unlocked BIOS?

Once I flashed this bios I started having bluetooth issues when putting the laptop to sleep. It's a known issue with the Y500, where bluetooth fails to work when waking the computer... however, I didn't have the issue before flashing. I use a bluetooth mouse, and prefer to keep windows quickboot, or whatever it's called, active. Since I have no plans of overclocking, I'll be flashing back to stock, until I pick up a different wifi card... but just wanted to let it be known. Perhaps it was just a fluke with my machine, if not, hopefully it can be fixed in a future release. I was on 2.02 stock.

Once I flashed this bios I started having bluetooth issues when putting the laptop to sleep. It's a known issue with the Y500, where bluetooth fails to work when waking the computer... however, I didn't have the issue before flashing. I use a bluetooth mouse, and prefer to keep windows quickboot, or whatever it's called, active. Since I have no plans of overclocking, I'll be flashing back to stock, until I pick up a different wifi card... but just wanted to let it be known. Perhaps it was just a fluke with my machine, if not, hopefully it can be fixed in a future release. I was on 2.02 stock.