Lenovo Y400 / Y500 - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod

svl7

Yeah, I've been busy in many aspects of my life, I haven't even really had a lot of time to play games yet. Annoying, but I figure I've got time.

I'm thinking using Throttlestop for games such as Morrowind and The Witcher that are not compatible with SLI and are very CPU limited would be best. I'll attempt to make my Ultrabay GPU the primary maybe in order to see if heat stays away.

Pretty much every game supports SLI, and those two are no exceptions. They already have SLI profiles in the driver:

post-10698-14494995692743_thumb.png

Anyway even a single 650M at stock will be more than enough to handle these two games. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's impossible to make the Ultrabay GPU the primary GPU if you disable SLI.

post-10698-14494995692326_thumb.png

Hi guys;

I got some minor problems after succesfully flashing the modded Bios.

The first one is the Nvidia Control Panel seems to be not working. Nvidia Experience is working well but I can't access to Nvidia Control Panel.

Second one is the Bluetooth settings that shows in the tray area doesn't show when I first boot the system. Interestingly when I restart the system Bluetooth icon shows and I can access the Bluetooth Settings window.

Otherwise everything is fine. I got a great performance boost whit scoring ~4600P on 3DMark 11 and getting 10fps more on Crysis 3 at the same settings.

Hopefull I can fix this two minor problems, whit your helps of course. Thanks in advance...

Nope, Lenovo didn't release a single BIOS update to the public... talk about crappy product support...

There's no reason to update the new machines with better firmware and keep the early customers out of it.

Hi guys;

I got some minor problems after succesfully flashing the modded Bios.

The first one is the Nvidia Control Panel seems to be not working. Nvidia Experience is working well but I can't access to Nvidia Control Panel.

Second one is the Bluetooth settings that shows in the tray area doesn't show when I first boot the system. Interestingly when I restart the system Bluetooth icon shows and I can access the Bluetooth Settings window.

Otherwise everything is fine. I got a great performance boost whit scoring ~4600P on 3DMark 11 and getting 10fps more on Crysis 3 at the same settings.

Hopefull I can fix this two minor problems, whit your helps of course. Thanks in advance...

Pretty much every game supports SLI, and those two are no exceptions. They already have SLI profiles in the driver:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8263[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8264[/ATTACH]

Anyway even a single 650M at stock will be more than enough to handle these two games. I wouldn't worry about it.

It's impossible to make the Ultrabay GPU the primary GPU if you disable SLI.

Hmm, I'll need to investigate that too because on just standard settings and SLI turned on both games have a strange double rendering thing happening that is solved once I turn SLI off.

EDIT:

With Throttlestop turned to turbo I get:

post-12096-14494995755233_thumb.png

Not a major increase there overall, though physics did bump up quite a bit.

CPU temps under 95, which is fine, nothing major affecting my GPU temps.

I'll try Unigine next.

EDIT 2:

Unigine doesn't really have different results. Still around 450.

EDIT 3:

Morrowind does have this setting, but it's turned on by default and it doesn't function correctly. It's a strange juttering that doesn't happen with SLI disabled. It's unplayable in that form.

Neither of those problems are caused by the BIOS. You can check if you disabled the Nvidia Control Panel service, otherwise you may need to reinstall the graphics driver. The Bluetooth issue is a Windows 8 problem and you can kind of solve it by turning off fast startup, but Bluetooth will still disappear every time you put the computer to sleep or hibernate.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to disable Nvidia Control Panel but could you please tell me how to enable this. I want to check if it's disabled or not.

Bluetooth problem is solved, I really appreciate it...

Hello, I tried to download the attachement since my Y500 is driving me crazy with its whitelist, but I found out I can only when I posted 5 times or become elite, well I wouldnt know hat to post except my anger at Lenovo for this crappy restriction and the elte order button dont work, it mention an invalid currency while not given any currency option whatsoever, how do I break this dilemma?

• Founder
Hello, I tried to download the attachement since my Y500 is driving me crazy with its whitelist, but I found out I can only when I posted 5 times or become elite, well I wouldnt know hat to post except my anger at Lenovo for this crappy restriction and the elte order button dont work, it mention an invalid currency while not given any currency option whatsoever, how do I break this dilemma?

It gave you that error because you didn't use the drop down menu to select which subscription you wanted (e.g. $5/$10/$15/$20 etc). Once you do and hit submit, it will allow you to complete the transaction. :)

Hmm, I'll need to investigate that too because on just standard settings and SLI turned on both games have a strange double rendering thing happening that is solved once I turn SLI off.

EDIT:

With Throttlestop turned to turbo I get:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8376[/ATTACH]

Not a major increase there overall, though physics did bump up quite a bit.

CPU temps under 95, which is fine, nothing major affecting my GPU temps.

I'll try Unigine next.

EDIT 2:

Unigine doesn't really have different results. Still around 450.

EDIT 3:

Morrowind does have this setting, but it's turned on by default and it doesn't function correctly. It's a strange juttering that doesn't happen with SLI disabled. It's unplayable in that form.

Do you get severe microstuttering and screen tearing with SLI in these games? Does the problem go away if you run the game in a window? If so, this is a very common issue that affects a lot of other games as well, such as World of Tanks and Source Engine games. It's a refresh rate issue and there are a few ways around it. You could disable SLI. You could run the game in a fullscreen borderless window. In some cases, you could turn on Vsync or, if you can't play with the input lag, toggle Vsync (turn it on and then off) from within the game. Those are all fixes that I've found to work for me, although the last one is not guaranteed to work in every game or driver version.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know how to disable Nvidia Control Panel but could you please tell me how to enable this. I want to check if it's disabled or not.

Bluetooth problem is solved, I really appreciate it...

Make sure the Nvidia Display Driver Service is not stopped and set to Automatic.

post-10698-14494995755537_thumb.png

EDIT: Just noticed that you mentioned GeForce Experience, which means you're on driver 320.18 or 320.49. If you've exhausted all options and still can't get the Nvidia Control Panel to work, I recommend going back to 314.22. The entire 320.xx branch has been nothing but problems for me. For example, the PhysX options in the Control Panel disappear after waking the computer from sleep. This issue, along with a host of others, aren't present in earlier drivers such as 314.22.

Hello, I have y500 with 2 video cards in SLI. I want to ask you if I going to update BIOS, is it necessary to update and VBIOS?

Yes you need to flash the Ultrabay GPU separately with NVFLASH per the instructions in the OP.

Which Link do I use to get the stock 2.02 Bios? Theres the Leak, then theres the Updater, then theres the attachment. Are they all the same?

They're all the same.

How about applying the reverse (650 bios flash onto 750)?

I have a 750 SLI, and would prefer to run 2 lower temp 650s, and flash back up when game's require more in the future.

You can undervolt. The 650M is 100 mV lower.

Hey :'( Anyone can help me create Video.How to flash Instruction of bios 2.04 from Mr.svl7 because I don't understand and I don't Strong in language. I try to read instruction. Anyone help me please.Thank very much for help.

Hey :'( Anyone can help me create Video.How to flash Instruction of bios 2.04 from Mr.svl7 because I don't understand and I don't Strong in language. I try to read instruction. Anyone help me please.Thank very much for help.

You can find it here..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm surprised you've only just started overclocking the GPU and using ThrottleStop after having the laptop for this long. The CPU throttling was one of the first things I noticed when I started using the laptop. Using ThrottleStop will increase CPU temperatures by a lot since it is increasing the clock speed from 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz (basically turning Turbo Boost on whereas throttling would cause it to turn off before). If your CPU was already getting into the 70's and 80's without ThrottleStop then having it on will likely push temperatures into the danger zone. Depending on how CPU-limited your games are you might find the tradeoff in heat to be worth it. For example, in Battlefield 3 and PlanetSide 2 I get a big boost so I leave it on.

I'm pretty new to the computer gaming scene and was wondering what proper temps should be. What's the danger zones for CPU and for GPU? Without overclocking, playing a game like Planetside 2 what range should my GPU be?

I was monitoring it the other night and it would max at about 83 on the gpu (didn't check cpu, monitored using gpu-z) but I think I had forgotten to enable SLI in the nvidia control panel so that may be why that was so high. Heck, even had it on a Cooler Master Notepal X-Slim Ultra cooling pad.

My y500 is a refurb (haven't placed new bios on yet, still stock atm) and want to make sure it's behaving properly.

Thanks!

...You could run the game in a fullscreen borderless window. In some cases, you could turn on Vsync or, if you can't play with the input lag, toggle Vsync (turn it on and then off) from within the game...

Morrowind is a very CPU constrained game and really not optimized for more than one core or more than one GFX card. I was able to use a program (MWOptimizer) to set it as 1080p windowed (looks fullscreen, so it must automatically be borderless) and that solved the problem. Though it didn't really help with framerate, but that's not surprising. It's such a fickle game and even more of a resource hog when fully modded, despite being over 10 years old now.

I'll play around again with The Witcher.

Strange problems!

Morrowind is a very CPU constrained game and really not optimized for more than one core or more than one GFX card. I was able to use a program (MWOptimizer) to set it as 1080p windowed (looks fullscreen, so it must automatically be borderless) and that solved the problem. Though it didn't really help with framerate, but that's not surprising. It's such a fickle game and even more of a resource hog when fully modded, despite being over 10 years old now.

I'll play around again with The Witcher.

Strange problems!

It's an issue that affects a lot of games. Has to do with the refresh rate of certain game engines and Windows/screen being out of sync, which causes all kinds of visual garbage. Out of all the solutions I suggested, running in windowed (or fullscreen borderless windowed) mode seems to work universally because then the game refresh rate matches the Windows refresh rate exactly.

• Founder
I see no dropdownbox, just an order button that redirects to a new page with the invalid currency message

See below, I don't know how you can miss it.

post-5-14494995758063_thumb.jpg